• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

CAN ANY ???

BlueDiamond

Hello All

I am due to have my first fill next week, I am having it done under x ray and barium meal also. I was wondering if anyone out there can explain what happens when I have this done, I did receive the information from my provider but its all very technical and want someone to explain it in plain english :8855:So if anyone could I would be most grateful to let me know (A) if its painful at all (B) how long this procedure took for them (C) what they actually did during the procedure.

Thanks in advance - All the best - MeJulie xx

Hi There,

I was in there for ten minutes - if that.

So in reply to your questions -
A) Not painful -just a little uncomfortable
B) As above lol!
C) So I got my robe on - they were like MASSIVE PJ's!, the x ray machine is fab, it's like a big camera that they wheel in over you, dr locates the port and the bed tilts upwards so that you are vertical ( at mine there was a mirror across from me so I could see what was going on). I had a sip of barium, watched it go thru easily then DR located my port (this was the most uncomfy part - but it was sooooo interesting and nice to see proof that I had something in there for my £6k!) Once he had checked the fluid and added a bit, I had another sip of barium, watched it linger in my pouch for a bit and then gradually slip through.
All Done!

I enjoyed the experience - it was interesting more than anything!

Good Luck!

I had one of these for my first fill, it's to see that everything is where it should be :)

I kept my clothes on, just had to tuck top into bra, he located my port and stuck needle in, then asked me to shuffle in front of machine...so weird to see your own insides.

Then he asked me to swallow the barium, its ok, just a weird thick liquid with no real taste at all.

I could see it going down and through the band at normal speed. he then put some saline into the band, just a little and I had to swallow more goo. This time you could see it was slower. He adjusted up and down till he could see restriction, then got me to check it was not to tight by swallowing water.

Bish bash bosh and I was done.

Took 15 mins tops from start to finish. Port fills are not painful, the needle going in is less painful than any injection I have ever had. As its only through skin and not into any muscle.

I had student doctors from Kenya in with me, so was a right party atmosphere....

My last few fills have been the same as you Neen - the most painfull part of the process is having to tell my gorgeous nurse Petra what I have been eating and her screetching at me " Jenny you maaaasstttt nooot eeeeat ze creesps as zey go doon a trat"
She's ace.

**PS. I sink she is from rooomania or espania!

Ah i feel left out, I have only had lift your top up fills and my nurse is from Leeds. Hope it goes well Julie x

mine was lift top into bra job too the rest was all the same as above doesnt hurt just a strange sensation. You will be fine I am sure x

My experience was the same as Cazbandy and IheartNY.

I was asked to lie on a metal table, then the table was tilted until I was almost vertical, the big camera thing was in front of me and I drank the barium - he put the fill in and made me drink more - almost made me gag not because of the taste but because it felt so tight - I felt a bit suffocated. The barium went down eventually and my band loosened up good and proper a few days afterwards! Then the bed is lowered back to horizontal and I climb off.

The barium swallow is to test the band and also test your oesophagus' reflex so they no whether it's sluggish or not. Nothing to worry about. The needle is massive, but doesn't hurt. I lifted my top up and tucked it under my underwire. Nothing embarrassing.

Then afterwards I had to drink some water then go home.

After the fill I drank liquids and soup only for 3 days;
Soft foods for 2 days; then
back to normal on day 5.

I follow the same regime for each fill.

HTH's.

Back