• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

CAN ANYONE HELP ME???

nurse2be

Hi there.

I asked my GP to refer me for bariatric surgery, and I have received an appointment through to go and see a General surgeon. Does anyone know what will happen at this initial appointment, and what this surgeon will do/ask? I am under the Forth Valley NHS Trust in Scotland if that helps

I'd greatly appreciate some advice!

Thankyou xx

At my initial appointment, he just talked over my options and all the risks and benefits of each. That appointment lasted an hour and by the end of it I had a much better idea of which surgery I wanted.

He also set a date at that appointment subject to good pre-op test results.

Hi

Great news about getting an appointment, I can only tell you what happened at my first appointment but difference hospitals etc do things differently.

I received a letter from the PCT first to say they had awarded me funding for the Bariatric surgery and then I waited to hear from the hospital.

At my first appointment I had to fill out a couple of forms then I took them into the surgeon and we discussed which surgery I wanted/he felt I should have and asked any questions I had. He went through the band and bypass procedures and the nurses also gave bits of information. I went with a list of questions to ask.

He told me if I lost 18lb he would do the surgery for me and from there I just had to wait for an op date and the pre-op diet.

Hope that helps.

Nic xx

at my fist appointment with surgeon we discussed what he could offer and what would be best for me ... and then he sent requests for a few tests he wanted me to do to make sure i was fit for surgery ..

sleep test .. cpx test ... bloods ....

and i get my date next Mon 6th April for surgery .. as i have my funding also ..

good luck xxx

Hi
I am from Scotland under Ayrshire health Board, My first appointment was horrific but please dont me put off as the consultant was really nice after that, the first appointment i was weighed, height ect and then asked about everything I ate and was given a very brief overview of the surgery options although i had reserched it thourghly through the internet, I was told to come back in 3 months and to have lost 1 stone as the consultant will only see you twice if you dont lose weight, I went back after the 3 months reluctantly, having lost just over a stone as he was really awful the initial meeting but he was fine the next time and said if i was to have any surgery i would need to lose a further 5 stone which i thought oh my god thats impossible but he said he would put in a gastric balloon for 6 months to help me lose this, I had this done at the end of February and pleased that have lost 29 lbs in 5 weeks my target to lose is 68lbs it is the first time i have ever felt positive that i will lose this weight as the balloon really changes your eating habits I have put in a lot of effort as i know it is my last chance, I have been reading all the postings daily and there is not many people from Scotland it is completly different with regards to funding as we do not apply for your own funding, the consultant told me there was only a budget for 15 ops per year under my health board, so possibly similar acroos all the different Health Boards in Scotland, I initially went to my doctors in May 08 and had my first consulation in August 08 and had the balloon inserted in February 09 this will come out August 09, I would like a bypass but after talking to the dietician it seems it is completly at the consultants discretion, if i stay on plan and lose another 39 lbs i will be just under 20 stone she said he might want to put in another gastric balloon in for another 6 months as she reckons i still need to be lighter than this for surgery, I have no real health problems but think i have sleep apneoa,and know health problems are lurking in the near future, I have an appointment to see consultant again on 20th April so hopefully i can get an idea of the next steps as i feel my life is on hold at the moment, and has been now for a few years, If i can be of any further help to you i am more than happy to answer any further questions

Hi, at my initial appointment with the surgeon we talked about the different ops and my eating habits for him to get a clear view of them. i could have had bypass but opted for band as I'm not brave enough for something thats much more invasive. Good luck at your consultation and let us know how you got on.
Take care xx Gaynor xx

hi Wellington, omg thats a bit of a farce isn't it. Having to have a balloon before bypass. I can't believe you had to have this as many of us on here have been alot heavier than you and gone straight in for band or bypass. The reason we ask for the op is to help us lose the weight so why put you under for the balloon if its not safe for the bypass, and you may have to have it done twice??? I would have thought it would have been cheaper for your pct to just let you have the bypass.good luck and I hope you eventually get what you want. Take care xGaynorx

Last edited:
Back