• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can anyone help

No1spritzer

I have already posted on here but not sure where I should put this post ???
I saw doctor July 8th who said she would refer me for surgery had my bloods taken last thurs as she said she wanted to send them off with my referral, and today I have received a letter to say I am on a list to start a food for thought seminar, as I am new to all this can anyo e help me and let me no what this is and what happens from here I no I am a long way off surgery but I would just like to no the route I am going down. Also the doctor said I would be going through north Tyneside and this letter has come from wansbeck.
Any help would be grateful xxx

Hi No1spritzer,

The food for thought seminar is about the surgery and all the preparations before hand. It gives you an insight into the procedures and diets so that you are fully aware of all that needs to be done prior to surgery. It give you food for thought as to whether you should or want to take such drastic measures to help you loose weight. There are lots of people there for the same thing. Went to Sunderland Royal and met 2 people there that spoke on behalf of the patient who had already had surgery. A gastric bander and a bypass patient spoke to the whole room about their experinces. A consultant and nurses were ther too to give medical advice, there was also a slide show about each proceedure. I found the whole seminar illuminating and was even more sure that surgery was for me. Not everyone does and goes on to loose the weight without surgery. Those that have surgery have approximately 18 month from seminar to surgery to prepare themselves physically and mentally before hand. I personally think that the time frame is very good and I lost a little over 1 stone before my surgery just by re-educating my eating habits. I lost a further 8lbs on the pre-op diet (this diet is not optional) it has been prepared to help reduce liver size to give the surgeons room to carry out the surgery as safely as possible. But please take into consideration that long before the diet starts you MUST keep well hydrated. Look at what you drink on a daily basis and add 1 extra litre to that fluid intake.
At the end of the 2 hour seminar in SRH all future patients were weighed and this was their start weight. I was advised to loose at least 3kg=6.6lbs. if this weight has not been reached by the time you get your consultant appointment you MAY be put to the end of the queue!!

*On the 10 days leading up to the surgery it is vital that you increase your fluid intake again to include a further extra litre.*

** This advice comes from personal experience, though extra fluids are advised on both diet sheets.

I hope this has helped answer some of the questions that you have. Please dont hesitate to ask again if you need things clarified. There is always someone who has experienced the same doubts and worries to help with most questions. Even professionals who have also had a type of weight loss surgery. Good luck on your journey it is amazing and well worth documenting throughout.
I have found this site and the members advise and support invaluable!!

Take care xx :)

I'm not from your area so sorry I cant help. All areas are different, I had to complete a year long weight management programme before being considered for funding. Someone will be along soon who will be able to help. Good luck with it all I hope you dont wait too long x

Thanx Mandy and wow thank you Joan I feel silly posting what I look to be stupid questions it great to no ppl out there are willing to help thank you both xxx

No1spritzer,

Help and advice is the reason the members on here exist. Your questions are not silly and it maybe that someone else feels the same and have had their question answered because you posted your question first. Never ever be afraid or feel silly about ANY questions you have. As somone recently posted in my thread quoted "KNOWLEDGE IS POWER" :D x

Hey if you think your question was silly you should see my thread; is my poo normal!

That's the great thing about this forum, no question is too silly.

Julie

We have all asked what we think are silly questions but I can guarantee you wont get silly answers, only useful and valuable answers from people who have been there before. Ask away xx

I know you'll get all you need from this forum.
Everyone here has had and been through all the thoughts you are having and will have...

Ask anything you feel the need to ask...the answers will be here..

good luck on your journey..its there for the taking

Hi food for thought are a weight management course, it's good that your doctor has referred you as everyone who goes to rake lane has to attend to be referred for surgery. Once completed they send off a report to the surgeon to show that you have completed the course and that's one box ticked. Try and make sure that you loose a bit weight and attend every session as to the surgeon it shows your committed. While on this course or just after you will be invited to the seminar at rake lane this will be your starting weight, my Bmi was hovering around 40 so had to make sure it stayed at 40 for seminar. I have got nurses app on monday at rake lane can't wait hopefully things start moving. X x x

Thanx susie, can you tell me will this corse be at wansbeck just my doctor told me rake lane, I have tried ringing them but just answering machine.

I'm under Rake Lane & attended a weight management course which was 12 weeks. I had a choice of local health centres at differing times to suit.
Once I was close to the end of my weight management I attended a seminar at Rake Lane where it was reinforced we had to attend a weight management course & lose weight with 90% attendance.
I'm sure this will be explained to you once you get to the top of the weight management waiting list hun...

Back