• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can anyone please explain this?

Crazy Lady

Since going back to the gym and working out with a personal trainer for the past 5 weeks I have successfully gained 2.5kgs. I have had 2 small fills in this time after getting an emergency defill, to get me back to where I was before the fill which didn't like me. I am now back up to 6.4mls in a 10ml band and am finding I have better restriction. I weighed in on the same scales at the clinic. Is there any truth in the idea that muscle weighs heavier than fat? My clothes are not getting any tighter and if anything they are feeling looser. Any ideas welcome please as off on holiday in 4 weeks and desperate :cry:

Muscle does not weigh heavier than fat, it's an urban myth. A 1lb of muscle weighs exactly the same as a 1lb of fat. The only difference is muscle is more fibrous and more dense than fat. Could you be retaining fluid? Due to increased exercise? Are you not eating/drinking enough?

Muscle does not weigh heavier than fat, it's an urban myth. A 1lb of muscle weighs exactly the same as a 1lb of fat. The only difference is muscle is more fibrous and more dense than fat. Could you be retaining fluid? Due to increased exercise? Are you not eating/drinking enough?

Of course a lb of fat and a lb of muscle weigh the same, they are both a lb! But I'm given to believe that when you take the same mass, for example a 12" square of fat and a 12" square of muscle, the muscle will weigh more

from me phone :D

Thanks for all your replies. I'm not sure how I managed to post this in this section lol
Right so I know a lb is a lb. I'm thinking a pound of blancmange is more in surface area than say a pound of steak?. Maybe I'll have to go away being more toned but without the weight loss since my clothes are feeling looser?

Of course a lb of fat and a lb of muscle weigh the same, they are both a lb! But I'm given to believe that when you take the same mass, for example a 12" square of fat and a 12" square of muscle, the muscle will weigh more

from me phone :D

Absolutely right. For the same volume the muscle would weigh much more than the fat. That's how we can sometimes lose no weight, even gain a little weight yet our clothes feel bigger. We weigh the same, but the volume taken up by the muscle is less so we are smaller but not always lighter.

Unless the OP has been using resistance training to increase the size of their musculature, then its unlikely that their muscles are getting bigger. Unless you increase the load on the muscle fibres causing them to break down, they will not have to get bigger to deal with the new load. For instance, if you can lift a fifty pound bag of spuds even though it feels a little heavy, your muscles will adapt to be able to lift 50 pounds. If you want them to get bigger and stronger you'd need to try to pick up 55 pounds. That's what resistance training is all about. You gradually increase the load over a short period of time and as a result you get stronger and your muscles bigger

The OP might just not be eating enough. As daft as it seems if when on a diet like we are you want to start exercising rigorously, in order to lse weight you need to increase what you take in to give your body the fuel it needs

Say your body needs 900 calories a day just to fuel it. If you then take 45 minutes of heavy cardio exercise (Say a spin class) burning 400 calories, your body only has 500 calories to fuel it. So it shuts down and holds onto its fat stores. So you'd need to eat at east 400 calories more to give your body the fuel it needs to stay in the 900 minimum per day range.

That and making sure you vary your exercise routine each week, and include resistance exercise to maintain lean body mass, are important if you want to carry on losing weight. It might sound like exercise is bad for weight loss, but of course its not bad at all, it raises your metabolism for hours after you've stopped exercising so you are burning fat stores even while at rest post exercise, but you want your body to use these stores so you lose fat as it uses the proteins we eat to repair our bodies and keep us strong

Get the gym to measure your body fat percentage and musculature and use these as a measure of your progress. That's a far better measure than just weighing yourself or BMI. Keep it up you're doing the right thing

407067_494357053952220_2031281024_n.jpg

Wow Karlos that is a lot of really useful info. Thank you loads.

Yve. Thanks for the picture. Makes sense when you look at it like that.

I'm definitely going to keep going with the exercise and get toned.

I've always believed clothes size is a better marker than weight once you start training. if you are staying the same weight but losing inches its got to be good!

Would you rather be a size 18 and weigh 12 stone (thanks to body shape) or a size 10 weighing 12 stone? A personal trainer put this notion to me (before my accident/weight gain) and It made me stop and think!

Good luck x

You are so right. A work colleague trains in the gym 8 out of 10 days. She is 5'3" and a size 8 but I was shocked when she said she weighs ......10 stone. She also informed me once that the best toned abs would be irrelevant hiding under a layer of fat. Bless her!!

Back