• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can i ask when did you start serious exercise and what did you do

gaelic girl

Loving Being a Loser
4 and a bit weeks post op and i'm looking into exercise know its a bit early yet for the abdominal/cardiac stuff but i'm looking at gym's and would love to know when you started exercising regularily and what you did. I had meant to take up swimming before now but still haven't plucked up the courage to wear a swimming costume not to mention the fact i'm not a strong swimmer. Thanks in advance guys x

i wouldnt worry about folks seeing you in a cossie hun, i swim 5 days a week and am rather rotund, the times i go ( when quiet ) there sees to be a lot of larger people, ladies only swim is another good one for me
at my gym they hold one to one swimming sessions for adults learning to swim, they use the woggles to help you float, taking them away one at a time till your swimming along unaided

Too early yet Allie- 3 months minimum before you start any stretching or exercises that are likely to cause any stress to your tummy. Gentle cardio vascular is fine - walking, stairs, gentle swimming, no aerobics yet or lunging...

:D

Thanks for asking this, I was gonna ask the same, although I am only 12 days post op. Just been Xmas shopping and feel I have done exercise for England. LOL

Just walking for now should be enough, build up gradually and you will be covering miles before you know it. So if your joining a gym the treadmill will be great - tip get on one underneath the air conditioning, I have build up to an hour but it has to be with 'air' lol x

Xmas shopping!!!!!! My god someone starts early...Ha Ha.

I've been walking almost every day doing that little bit longer each day and building it up and swimming twice a week. I've also recently signed both hubby and I up for Sorroc classes as I think dance is a better exercise than being in the gym (I find the gym boring).

Wouldn't do more then gentle walking and swimming for a little while if I was you.

xx

4 and a bit weeks post op and i'm looking into exercise know its a bit early yet for the abdominal/cardiac stuff but i'm looking at gym's and would love to know when you started exercising regularily and what you did. I had meant to take up swimming before now but still haven't plucked up the courage to wear a swimming costume not to mention the fact i'm not a strong swimmer. Thanks in advance guys x

Oh dont talk to me about exercising, its doing my bloody head in, I hate it but anyhows it must be done so im trying!! Im suppose to go to BodyPump tonight and I no more want to go :sigh:
Be carful with swimming Allie, I dont think you should be doing that yet, as a bander we had to wait 6 weeks so im sure passers would be longer than us, check that out with your doc!!
If you join a gym you could go the treadmill, have it at a steady pace that you feel comfortable with then after a few sessions move onto the bike (if ye like riding :giggle:) and do some treadmill & bike, then you could try the cross-trainer (I cant do it, its soooo hard) but every bit of exercise is good so if you can only manage a small amount at at the start then thats brill, but try not to bore yourself or you'll be like me and hate going

Lol Kate you know me too well, i hate the gym but feel it's one of those "have to things" I've never been able to do that cross trainer thing my idea of hell. Thank you everyone your tips are greatly appreciated as exercise was alien and now needs to become part of the new me x

"If you join a gym you could go the treadmill, have it at a steady pace that you feel comfortable with then after a few sessions move onto the bike (if ye like riding :giggle:) and do some treadmill & bike, then you could try the cross-trainer (I cant do it, its soooo hard)"

Hi,

I haven't done any either really since mum started to deteriorate (8 weeks ish!!)
Just keep running up and down stairs today...its has to be better than nothing!
Once Scarlett (youngest) goes back to school next week i will try the gym again...but as always Kate has said what i have thought...boring..boring boring...

Nothing strenuous for at least 12 weeks. You pose a real hernia risk. In fact you should not try to lift anything heavier than a jug of water for three months

Walking is good as soon as you can, gradually build up the distance and pace.

My knackered knees mean walking is difficult for me, so I rode the bike for 20 mins medium resistance four or five times a week.

Now I'm over six months out I joined a gym and my trainer has put a knee/Ab friendly programme together for me. Second time on the new plan today, it's killing me but will be worth it in the end I'm told :cry:

Don't overdo it, i went to the gym last Monday and have buggared me knee up going on the stair climber just for a few minutes.

Be very careful and take professional advice xx

hi alison

im new to this was wondering if i could ask did you go nhs or private?

Thanks

Laura

Back