• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What do you do when you're feeling down?

Adorabella

Hi, I have problems with comfort eating and binge eating - I guess its been my only option when I've been feeling down - now with my op in 1 week I'm stuck on things to do to cheer myself up. I'll have a lot more options when I'm slim but at the moment I find I'm lost when I get these feelings.

I've recently done my nails really nice which cheered me up the other day. What do you do when you're feeling down and need a bit of a boost?

I have a nice bath , with candles, smellies in bath etc, and listen to music. Then I have a foot massage, and pedicure ( courtesy of my daughter) and that makes me feel really good, and its relaxing too xx

Before my op I now realise in that situation I would have eaten something to comfort me. I haven't felt those feelings since my op, neither have I felt hunger so hopefully my mind set can change now.

The demons are there but no hunger has meant the head also says no you can't have that to eat. So I walk away from temptation but I think I will need to find a new coping mechanism incase someday that's not there anymore. I like the me time pampering or my embroidery until I can deal with whatever in a calm rational manner.

I struggled the first few days after surgery because I felt so down and sorry for myself. I couldnt eat anything bad as I would have done myself damage, but them feelings soon went. As Penny has said because I dont feel hunger I can now control my head easier. As I get more mobile and fitter I want to replace comfort food with exercise and things that will make me feel better physically and mentally. Food just gave me a mental boost and was temporary. I'm not saying I wont struggle with these feelings again but at least now I have a valuable tool to help me win that battle. x

It'll get better, one hour at a time, one day, one week and one month at a time and you'll find different distractions. Food is the answer at the moment but soon you'll realise it was only making things worse. Read, pamper and treat your self in other ways.

xx.

I try to talk to friends or distract myself with shopping for new clothes. But it doesn't always work. A few days ago I had a really bad day and had an old fashioned binge on high fat and sugary food. Of course the amount I could stuff down me was far far less than before but I did it despite knowing that I would dump. In fact I think I did it on purpose to punish myself by bringing on dumping syndrome. I knew exactly what I was doing and that it was stupid but I just couldn't stop myself.
Today I got my period so once again I think this was mostly down to PMS.

I go for a walk, really clears my head and allows me to 'have a word with myself' x

Thanks for your wonderful replies! It got me thinking.

I really love dancing, but I've gone off it after gaining weight the thought of my wobbly bits, ugh just can't go there right now. I guess I'm in a sort of no mans land where I'm not slim yet, so I can't really do the things that I love to do, but I want to be slim, so I can't go back to doing the bad things like eating.

I can't do baths yet. :-( one day I hope. In the mean time a bit of pampering sounds good. And of course posting on WLS is good for the soul too.

Back