• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can i still get drunk?

bex j88

Hello banders :)

I'm hoping some of the experienced ones out there might be able to help me with a kinda off limits question...

I know alcohol is a bad thing. I know it is empty calories. Truth is, I go for months without a drink, but, at hen dos, weddings, holidays etc. I like to get drunk! :-/

Is it still possible for me to actually GET drunk? I understand its not responsible but I if someone out there can answer this I'd be really grateful!

Love from a totally sober, day 1 bander! :)
Bex x

Band or no band, you could stil GET drunk. But take care ... as well as the empty calories, being drunk makes us often less conscious about what we put in our mouths .... And the band will soon remind you if you make a silly mistake ... :eek: you read stories sometimes about people eating the wrong thing, it getting stuck, irritating the stomach/band and then them having to have an emergency trip to a&e for a defill (if they are lucky enough to find one that understands bariatric surgery) or stick to fluids till the swellings gone down again. I am not anti-alcohol, just anti-getting totally pie-eyed x

I would also say be careful with the amount of alcohol u drink to before you see "effects".

Whilst I was never a big drinker, i still had a high alcohol tolerance. Since i've been banded I have noticed that one or two cocktails have a more lethal effect now than before. For instant on Friday I went to happy hour and got 2 4 1 cocktails. I could only drink one because I felt tipsy, normally I would be fine after three or four.

I guess this may be a good thing for some as it makes the evening cheaper.

Hi, I'm the same as you. I only drink to get drunk !!! I have stopped drinking as much , but, I have just come back from 4 days in Benidorm with the "girls" . I was drinking all sorts and even had coke with my vodka . I didn't get any more drunk than I would of pre op, in fact, I was so conscious of the calories I didn't drink as much. I did have a bad hangover, but I had these pre op anyway. The difference is you can't fill up on carbs or pop the paracetamol. If I want a good night out I will, this is a marathon not a sprint .

Hi
Its taken me a few times to get the balance right, i love going out with my mates and having a drink especially now im in a size 12 but, dont drink with your fat girl head on, it just gets messy!! :eek:

Kim

I'm a bypasser and I steer clear of wine, as my dietician told me that was full of carbs, sugars and calories.. I stick to a shot of vodka (no carbs) and something like sugar free lime with it but nothing fizzy. a few of those and I'm drunk as a skunk lol!!! Life doesnt have to end after wls surgery, you just have to make a few adjustments thats all xxx

Aah phew!!

Thanks ladies, I was a bit worried that people were judging me by starting this thread- I'm relieved that other people do in fact still want to have a drink!
I too don't drink very often, probably only 5/6 times a year but when I do I like to enjoy myself! I didn't know if there would be something physically stopping me from getting drunk etc...

Glad that you can all share your experiences with me/here as I don't know what I would do without this site!
Much love
Bex x

I'm wanting a few drinks tomoz but only in third week of gastric band don't know what to do

Speak to your dietician to see what they advise..there are different guidelines dependent on which weight loss procedure you have had and individual providers :rolleyes:

Gastric band isnt magic to make you lose weight. Imho if you were serious about it you wouldnt be wanting to get wasted three weeks in. All those empty calories. Just be careful and dont make yourself sick if you do decide to drink. X

No I'm not bothered about getting wasted I will stick to water I think till I'm all settled with my band

No I'm not bothered about getting wasted I will stick to water I think till I'm all settled with my band

I went to a Eurovision party last night. I too am 3 weeks post band :)

First off, it was brilliant walking in and people all turn around and say how well I looked with my weight loss (so far- only a couple know about the band) 17lb in 3 weeks happy days :)

Secondly, although I could easily have been in the mood to drink, I purposely drove to avoid temptation. That said, I had 1 small glass of sangria and tbh, I didn't want another as I felt that was enough to satisfy me. However, If I hadn't have had that 1 glass, I probably would have been hankering after a large glass for the rest of the night!

I'm sure there's a message/moral in here somewhere but I can't be bothered to wheedle it out. Moderation is key ! :)

Much love
A (still) very sober Bex x

Yes had a very good day and night had 2 cranberry and vodka then had water but still had a good boogie x

An odd one this . . . .

you post several threads asking for advice on whether you should drink or not at only being 3 weeks post op, but then go and do it anyway! Did your provider say it was ok? Or did you not bother to ask . . .working with your band is the only thing that will bring success, and that is also with the guidelines from your provider.

Oh my...so much willpower at 3weeks...god help you at 3mth..1yr..sorry but had to be said!

Had two small drinks its not gunna be lots of calories lost 17 lb in three weeks so must be doing things right people r quick to judge on here

An odd one this . . . .

you post several threads asking for advice on whether you should drink or not at only being 3 weeks post op, but then go and do it anyway! Did your provider say it was ok? Or did you not bother to ask . . .working with your band is the only thing that will bring success, and that is also with the guidelines from your provider.

Erm, I'm not sure if this is aimed at me or Clarered?!

Firstly, this main post was aimed at a long term question of alcohol in general- not because I'm gagging for a wine at 2 weeks after my band.

Secondly, I did "bother" to speak to my dietician who said that alcohol isn't recommended in any case, regardless of who what or where. However, the biggest downsides to alcohol is 1) empty calories and 2) the risk of eating more with impaired judgement.

As you haven't asked how I am recovering or adjusting to the band, you wouldn't necessarily know that I have done quite well and my recovery is back to normal now. Although I'm sure you will know that the time between op and 1st fill is slightly different to how life will be once the band is filled. Will power aside. I have lost 17lb in 3 weeks?!

Whilst I applaud you for an absolutely astounding weight loss and doubtless you are extremely knowledgable in this field, I feel that you have been very harsh and judgemental in this comment without anything positive to add to the thread which is upsetting given the nature of what this forum is about.

Bex

It wasn't aimed at you. I haven't said that you were gagging for wine at two weeks or anything else!

My question was to Clarared who posted here but also created several other threads asking for advice about drinking at 3 weeks post op, all of which many people responded saying not the best at this point but to speak to her provider, hence the question I asked whether she had spoken to her provider for their guidelines.

My post, is neither harsh nor judgemental, (but wasn't in response to your OP) it is however an honest question to someone who is 3 weeks post op out of concern, because we know the band can be a success, but only if we work with the tool and the guidelines we are given. And we also know that there are things which can cause harm or can prevent the band from doing the wonderful job we know it can.

Back