• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can you push the process along yourself??

Stinie

Hi all

I thought my doc had referred me to the weight management team but just found out that she hasn't. I don't think she really knows what she is doing - I will have to have a word with her again when she is in on friday.

I have done a bit of research myself and found out that the next weight management course in my area starts in january.

Does anyone know if I can just sign up for the 12 week course and then get my doc on board for a referral to surgery or does she have to get me on the course in the first place?

I don't want to join the course first if it means I can not be referred for surgery.

My BMI is 47 at the moment so according to the NICE guidelines I should be eligible for surgery if I successfully complete the 12 week course. Am I right about that?

Has anyone got any experience with this?

pinkcere

Hey Stinie,

I'm sorry but I'm in the same boat. Since January I was waiting to be referred to tier 3 (weight manag) and done blood test and ECG at least two times for it, but at the end of june I was told by my doc that they weren't accepting referrals anymore.

Last year I saw the dietitian for about 4 months and then she referred me to the hospital to check thyroids and diabetes. Also last year I tried the Orlistat but didn't work. I have been trying to have a baby for 3 years now and I can't because I have polycystic ovaries and the treatment is losing weight. So weight watchers, slimming world, Duncan, Juicing, you name it and I probably have tried.

So at the beginning of August I went to see my GP and I said all of the above mentioned to him. I said that I need help and I want the surgery, he agreed to refer me and just said it would take up to six months. I said I was fine with it. So two weeks later I received a letter from the bariatric team for an assessment with various of the team and questionnaires and food diaries to be completed.

Now I haven't gone through the tier 3 yet and I'm going to have my first appointment with the surgeon. Maybe would be worth if you ask your doctor to do the same for you.
I will know soon how it plays out from this point ahead, but ATM I'm very confused.
Sorry I just said too much...I hope any of this stuff is helpful to you.
Good luck! :)

SHARONA

Hi all I thought my doc had referred me to the weight management team but just found out that she hasn't. I don't think she really knows what she is doing - I will have to have a word with her again when she is in on friday. I have done a bit of research myself and found out that the next weight management course in my area starts in january. Does anyone know if I can just sign up for the 12 week course and then get my doc on board for a referral to surgery or does she have to get me on the course in the first place? I don't want to join the course first if it means I can not be referred for surgery. My BMI is 47 at the moment so according to the NICE guidelines I should be eligible for surgery if I successfully complete the 12 week course. Am I right about that? Has anyone got any experience with this?
hi stinie its sounds like the same problem i had. I would ring your doc secretary and ask first to see uf she has sent off the referral form then ring the hospital weight management there to see if they have received any thing. Since i was referred way back they did say i had to complete the course in order to have been in the service for a period of time and also to educate me on my eating prior before being put forward fir surgery at the mdt meeting as there was limited funds in Birmingham for surgery. However things have changed and there is such demands. I would chase chase them. Good luck let me know how you get on.

jooz0301

Try contacting your local authority referrals dont stop docs make it difficult x i was told tier 3 referrals had ceased in my area so i have to travel a bit further but at least its started the process x Dont give up x

Stinie

Thanks for your replies :)

I'm phoning my doc tomorrow and telling her where she needs to refer me to as she doesn't seem to have a clue. Hopefully I'll get somewhere this time. Nothing is ever easy is it lol x

Stinie

Hey Stinie,

I'm sorry but I'm in the same boat. Since January I was waiting to be referred to tier 3 (weight manag) and done blood test and ECG at least two times for it, but at the end of june I was told by my doc that they weren't accepting referrals anymore.

Last year I saw the dietitian for about 4 months and then she referred me to the hospital to check thyroids and diabetes. Also last year I tried the Orlistat but didn't work. I have been trying to have a baby for 3 years now and I can't because I have polycystic ovaries and the treatment is losing weight. So weight watchers, slimming world, Duncan, Juicing, you name it and I probably have tried.

So at the beginning of August I went to see my GP and I said all of the above mentioned to him. I said that I need help and I want the surgery, he agreed to refer me and just said it would take up to six months. I said I was fine with it. So two weeks later I received a letter from the bariatric team for an assessment with various of the team and questionnaires and food diaries to be completed.

Now I haven't gone through the tier 3 yet and I'm going to have my first appointment with the surgeon. Maybe would be worth if you ask your doctor to do the same for you.
I will know soon how it plays out from this point ahead, but ATM I'm very confused.
Sorry I just said too much...I hope any of this stuff is helpful to you.
Good luck! :)

I also have pcos and would like to have a baby but as you say they just tell you to lose weight - easier said than done when they don't help you lol good luck on your journey x

Stinie

Just spoke to doc and she said she'd refer me to the weight management team. At last! It seems she was confused because I had a referral for a dietician in April and she thought it was the same thing.

Oh well, hopefully this will get the process moving forward a bit now :)

Curls40

Ladies I have pso,and a under active thyroid, I was given clomid it worked first time for me , then feel pregnant by myself 21mths after my first son naturally, have none of you been offered this, ?.my sons are teens. Now ?.