• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

can't get used to serving small portions

Loving the Loop

I am only in my 2nd week post op bypass, I live alone and am having a nightmare preparing pureed meals in small quantities. I have several issues

1. It's a lot of work preparing a pureed meal for one.
2. I now have a fridge full to over flowing with Tupperware containers & half open yoghurt and cottage cheese cartons and
3. I am using small side plates to eat from which I only half fill, but am still throwing out food (I hate the waste, but like most of you I suspect, I was brought up to clean my plate) . However I just cant bring myself to plate up less in case it's not enough to fill me up (Bad old habits).

On a side note how fantastic is it to actually have your stomach tell you its full !! or is that just me.:D

Oh and there seems to be more washing up which also sucks.:sigh:

Any suggestions ???

End of moan :(

Butterfly_lady

Yup there does seem a lot of waste, it will get better and you get used to dishing up what you need, but then restriction kicks in and you can't manage half of what you managed the day before :)

ZombieBex

I had the same "meal" twice a day for 2 days - i hate waste and this was the best way i found to reduce it - made me feel like i had control

los in it

Even 11 months post op my frezzer is hock a block with mini meals where I make too much ! For example I made what I thought was a small chicken curry , in the past it might have been 2 servings and I would have been happy with that now its more like 2 - 3 servings, who wants chicken curry for 3 days?!
Need to really work on my portion controls!

Crystalrainbow

ughhh yep I remember all the extra washing up !!! it gets better :) by the time I had finished all the stages my freezer was full of wee pots....all of which ended up in the bin anyway lol but hey even with the waste now, its probably no where's near what it once was..... the shopping bill is small too x x x x

Loving the Loop

I think being Scottish ,throwing out food I've paid really pains me.

weegie

I think being Scottish ,throwing out food I've paid really pains me.

The wee man in my avatar waits patiently for my leftovers :D

It is a pain making stuff for one but each stage gets easier imo. I sometimes just had thicker soup and I ate a lot of Danio yogurts mixed with Fage 0% this makes them less sweet and still keeps in the fridge for a couple of days. I just took however much I thought I could eat and the rest got cling filmed. Never got bored of that. Cleaning the hand blender every five minutes was though lol

Did you have the loop bypass ? Thats the same as the my MGB or mini bypass. Sunderland ?

Loving the Loop

Yeah Weegie, I got the loop at Sunderland my local provider luckily enough (I moved down here 17 years ago from South Lanarkshire).

I see you went private in Belgium, is there no NHS Bariatric Units in Scotland then ?

Last edited:

weegie

Yeah Weegie, I got the loop at Sunderland I moved down here 17 years ago from South Lanarkshire. I see you went private in Belgium, is there no NHS Bariatric Units in Scotland then ?

Bariatric services here are few and far between. Only a lucky handful get ops. I originally waited 2 years from referral a d never even got a letter. That was back in 2007 so I had a band fitted in Belgium. This recent op was a revision as I had awful problems with reflux when my band kept self tightening. I went back to the same surgeon as he is very good. Hell could freeze over before I got WLS on the SHS. Sad but true.

Kekse

What my husband does now coming up to week 10, we half the meal, i.e. if I am cooking chicken with veg & mash I give him a small portion on a tea plate. Or ready meal which he is now on phase 4 he has the smallest i.e. cottage pie and I have the other half (if it makes sense)?

Yogurts he had petit fleur and custards to begin now he is on Muller yogurts. He gets full really quick. he is now 95.3 kg.

BFB

Haha when I was on purée I'd make what I thought was enough for 2 nights. I made a sort of cottage pie with veggie mince, onion and mushrooms, whizz it up and put it in ramekins and then make a separate mash. It lasted 6 nights! It's so hard to get it right! :)

weegie

What my husband does now coming up to week 10, we half the meal, i.e. if I am cooking chicken with veg & mash I give him a small portion on a tea plate. Or ready meal which he is now on phase 4 he has the smallest i.e. cottage pie and I have the other half (if it makes sense)? Yogurts he had petit fleur and custards to begin now he is on Muller yogurts. He gets full really quick. he is now 95.3 kg.

Sounds like he is being well looked after and doing well on bis weight loss :)

Bear

Loving the loop - get yourself down to poundland, Wilko or 99p stores and buy a job lot of small freezer containers. Mine are about the size of a muller lite pot and my freezer is full to the brim of a whole variety of meals. It all builds up and whatever I cook the family, I take portions out which I have for my lunch. Or I'll cook up a family size portion of veg chilli and freeze the lot.

Loving the Loop

Thanks Bear, I have loads of containers, you tend to gather them when cooking for one all the time, that's one of the problems my fridge & freezer are overflowing. Seem to be getting to grips with it now anyway and only another 2 1/2 weeks to go on puree diet.

Can't wait for some texture in my food,

Lilacglittergirl

Fit and fantastic!
I live alone and had my bypass over 2 years ago - and have been stable for nearly 18 months. I know it is hard to prepare food in small enough quantities but you will adjust in time. Meantime, personally I would not store the excess, I would just chuck it away. You will (indeed must) get used to not clearing your plate. This is all part of shifting attitudes and rituals around food which made us the people we were leading to undergoing WLS. One way to deal with not revisiting left-overs is to empty the salt pot over it then you will not be tempted. This is a particularly useful tip in restaurants when you have reached your limit and are waiting for the service staff to clear the table, it can be tempting to take another bite (ie over-eating) - throwing salt on the food immediately stops that from happening.

I am sure you are doing really well. Your pouch is the size of a medium egg - just think how much an empty shell would hold and that is your portion size for life now.

Enjoy the positive effects of the bypass - a year from now and you will not recognise your self xxxxxx