• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Psychologically??

Fuffs

Shrinking Big Brummie
Hi all

I am obsessed with watching some of the programmes on food network channel. I have been for months now lol

During the break, they showed a chef with his mom cooking a Sunday dinner.

It then triggered thoughts of my love of Sunday dinners and my moms amazing Caribbean chicken, rice and peas (yummmmmy!!! Lol)

So here is my question, after your WLS there comes a time you can eat these things again, but in tiny quantities.

I know it PHYSICALLY satisfies you, but does it PSYCHOLOGICALLY satisfy you?

If I think of a Sunday dinner I think of a full plate steaming with meat and veg. Does a tiny side plate satisfy your mind?

I know we have the surgery to NOT eat big portions again. But your mind is different to your tummy.

I guess what I am asking is, how do you FEEL about your small portions?

Sorry if anyone fell asleep lol

I am just happy that i can have the same as every one else just insmaller portions if i get a bigger plate now it puts me off cos i know if i eat too much it hurts and its not a nice feeling so yes you just get used to what you can handle without making yourself bad. I can eat woteva now but try and have healthy option of it but just on tea plate it bugs the lifeout of me if i have to leave something i really like. You'l get used to it xx roll on April and May for you xx

Thanks Chrisa :)

I am glad you become accustomed to it.

It's hard to imagine right now. But not long until I experience it i guess.

I wonder if there are people who find the psychological hunger or want for large portions difficult to come to terms with. Like resenting their pouch.

I am thinking a lot tonight lol

The problem is i don't feel hungry where as before your op yuou do get hungry but when i'm ready for food i get a bit nauseus and light headed you get used to the signs just like the full feeling you experience when you have eaten your fill that extra spoonful could mean the difference between pain and feeling satisfied its trial and error and no one wants to make themselves ill so learn tro listen to your body. You'll get the hang of it x just take it easy at first and do what the dietician tells you x always here if i can help xx

Thanks Chrisa :)

I am glad you become accustomed to it.

It's hard to imagine right now. But not long until I experience it i guess.

I wonder if there are people who find the psychological hunger or want for large portions difficult to come to terms with. Like resenting their pouch.

I am thinking a lot tonight lol
oh im hearing ya! especially when, on supersize v superskinny, the man in america had lost loads of weight with a bypass and is now super morbidly obese again!!!

fuffs what you are doing now on your liver shrinking diet and the weight loss is amazing you are a star, so i think you will be a great sucsess when it comes to head hunger , and eating sizes as chrisa says after your op you only eat what your pouch allows and your head catches up quite rapidly it has to cos if we eat to much post op you are sick. thankfully i havent got that far to be sick but i did feel that stuck feeling off a teeny tiny bit of weight watchers whole meal bread and had to sick it up to get this pain away, i now know to not have that for a few days, see what i mean fuffs its trial and error, and as i stated you i think will do fine hunny. xxxx

I get the head thing every now and again, where I would love to keep eating and do miss it and the relationship I had with food. It only rears it's ugly head every now and again though, the triggers for me is when I'm really enjoying a meal and it tastes lovely and also I went out for my first meal this week. I had a starter (didn't even manage half) and my mam and sister both had huge main courses and a pudding to die for. But I feel so much better now I wouldn't change it for the world. I think most people will have moments of wanting bad food or massive portions but thank my surgeon for the tool to help me beat this, as it's not worth feeling sick as a chip for. X

I watched that too Caren!! Scary!!!

Thanks ladies. I love understanding the psychology of things. This is helping me prepare a lot.

Thanks Lynda. The pre op diet does seem like a great prep tool. I am trying to use it as a time to get physically and mentally prepared.

I was wondering if when eating a delicious meal there may be a longing for more. Nice to have an answer to that. I guess if you make it at home, you can have more another day.

Better get my some tiny Tupperware lol

You are awesome on this forum. Thank you x

The thing is Sophie, you will have different tastes after wards, I know it's difficult to imagine pre op, just what it's going to be like. I cooked a cottage pie and mashed swede today, I served myself up 80g of swede, 75g of cottage pie. I could only eat half! Then this evening we went to the harvester, my hubby ordered a meal, so did everyone else but i didn't. I had one chip from hubby's plate and didn't even enjoy it!. I barely took any notice what everyone else ate, it held no interest. Previously I would have ordered a massive meal, even if I wasn't hungry, and I would have finished it. I did order a dessert, I had the fruit skewers, but only had one of the 3. I don't long for food any more, it has totally changed me. However, thats not to say I don't eat the wrong food sometimes. I have excellent restriction (4 months post op) but today had 4 biscuits. I find I still have sweet cravings. I finjd them difficult to resist, and unfortuantely, I have only dumped twice!

mariew said:
The thing is Sophie, you will have different tastes after wards, I know it's difficult to imagine pre op, just what it's going to be like. I cooked a cottage pie and mashed swede today, I served myself up 80g of swede, 75g of cottage pie. I could only eat half! Then this evening we went to the harvester, my hubby ordered a meal, so did everyone else but i didn't. I had one chip from hubby's plate and didn't even enjoy it!. I barely took any notice what everyone else ate, it held no interest. Previously I would have ordered a massive meal, even if I wasn't hungry, and I would have finished it. I did order a dessert, I had the fruit skewers, but only had one of the 3. I don't long for food any more, it has totally changed me. However, thats not to say I don't eat the wrong food sometimes. I have excellent restriction (4 months post op) but today had 4 biscuits. I find I still have sweet cravings. I finjd them difficult to resist, and unfortuantely, I have only dumped twice!

That's really cool that you can be indifferent to food. Really hard to imagine pre op.

I guess the biscuit bit makes sense. There has to be some food likes that remain unchanged. However, pre op, would it have been much more biscuits?

You are doing soooo well Marie. In 4 months you look so much younger and slimmer. Wow! Xxx

Aw thanks hun. xx
Pre op I would have had at least a packet of biscuits and some cakes! It's still not good though, I wish I hadn't bought them as when they are not in the house I don't even think about them. I usually just have a ryvita fruit crunch and I really like them. But I thought I could just have these in a tin for visitors, and forget they are there, but nope. I sneakily eat them when hubby is up stairs or outside. I need them to be gone, i will throw them in the bin tomorrow!

mariew said:
Aw thanks hun. xx
Pre op I would have had at least a packet of biscuits and some cakes! It's still not good though, I wish I hadn't bought them as when they are not in the house I don't even think about them. I usually just have a ryvita fruit crunch and I really like them. But I thought I could just have these in a tin for visitors, and forget they are there, but nope. I sneakily eat them when hubby is up stairs or outside. I need them to be gone, i will throw them in the bin tomorrow!

My pleasure : D Just the truth! You looking a completely different person :)

Accidentally on purpose leave the lid off when you go to bed. They will be soft and stale in the morning. And it will make them perfect for throwing away with no regret lol

I try not to have things in the house. But my beanpole partner has a sweet tooth. And the two munchkins do too lol. I try and limit what they have, as my 9 year old is heavyset already. Don't want him to end up needing this x

Back