• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can't stop vomiting: liquids to puree

Stacey83

Hi all

I'm at week 3 post sleeve today and have been advised to switch from liquids to puree and I simply can't handle it. I'm constantly vomiting and it's pretty gross. I kept down one weetabix with 200ml milk this morning but couldn't face the week 3 suggested lunch of scrambled egg and mash so I had soup which made me throw up...very frustrating as I've been eating it for the past 3 weeks! This evening I blended tuna with mash and mushy peas and again, after literally 2 teaspoons it all came back up. I'm a little concerned and wondered if anyone else has experienced this switching to puree? I have my first post op follow up on Friday so hopefully they will be able to help me. Until then I might just stick to liquid?

HI Stacey83,

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I have been doing a LOT of research in preparation. The thing that I have read over and over is if moving up a stage doesn't work and makes you sick just go back a stage and give it a few more days. Everyone is different and it just sounds to me like your body is asking for a little longer before moving on to puree.It must be really hard having been on liquids so long, I hope things improve for you soon x

Also switching food goinjg from liquids to puree the puree need sto be runny add more water so that it is thicker than fluid but no where near as thick as it would ordinarily be, think of what tinned baby food is like or smooth apple sauce you put on your pork. Can you eat low fat custard? and yoghurt will probably go down ok, stick with Weetabix if it works. One porridge sachet used to do me 3 meals with plenty of milk x

Thanks for your thoughts ladies, today has been a little easier and I wasn't sick until 5pm and I managed to get all my liquids in so hopefully day by day I'll get there. Tomorrow I plan to try scrambled egg!

Scrambled egg is quite "proper " I didn't manage it until 6 weeks post sleeve. During the purée stage I had soups(chicken soup mainly) and yoghurt.

Hi Eve, well...scrambled egg is now on my do not touch list! I tried and it came back to haunt me.

I had my first check up at Homerton today and I've been put back on liquids for another 2 week's minimum to give myself time too heal. I was shown the surgeon's notes and my stomach is now 2cm wide and I have a hernia repair healing on top of it so I really need to stick to liquids until I've healed. A few weeks is nothing in the long-term.

Hi Hon, I am 20 months post op and I was the same. I was sick up until around 8 months. (Don't wanna bring you down) Take it slow. Not everyone heals the same. Some are quicker than others. Just go at your own pace. Believe it or not I found baby food good early on. Just enough and all the nutrients in and it was the only thing I could keep down.

Hi Hon, I am 20 months post op and I was the same. I was sick up until around 8 months. (Don't wanna bring you down) Take it slow. Not everyone heals the same. Some are quicker than others. Just go at your own pace. Believe it or not I found baby food good early on. Just enough and all the nutrients in and it was the only thing I could keep down.

Thanks for sharing, I actually have had babyfood this evening and it has stayed down. Even chunky soup is being a pain today. I guess on a positive, if this goes on for 8 months it'll be good weightloss? Did your extra weight fall off? I think I'm averaging about 600 calories a day when I put in real effort.

I had a RNY gastric bypass. Struggled terribly going from liquids to purée's, and then again going purée's to soft foods.

You'll get there; just take it slow. Lots of moisture in your food. xx

Back