• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Puree or Mushy?

Deets

Hello all,

im having a bit of a problem wrapping my head around the puree and mushy stages!

Ok so next week i can start puree (yay!). So does this mean things like porridge, scrambled egg and anything else as long as its blitzed to death?

Then 2 weeks after that, i can start the mushy stage - but what do you class as mushy??

Is mashed potato puree or mushy?
Is tuna mayo puree or mushy?
Is cottage pie puree or mushy?

Puree or mushy...that is the question!!

x

Deets

Your on sloppy stage from next week, which is still food that can slide through a fork

eg weetabix but in enough milk that its like soup and slide through the fork. Mash is fine but has to be very runny, I like it with philli garlic and herb or corned beef, I thin mine with extra milk

The proper puree starts in another 2 weeks, you still don't want any lumps now but you do need it to be runny, use a fork to test its thin enough.

Bet you can't wait to get some real savouy food.

Puree is smooth, no lumps at all. Blitzed to death and add a bit of extra liquid if necessary, strain through a sieve too. It should be the consistency of smooth apple sauce. Yoghurt (no bits) mashed potato blended with gravy to make it more runny and smooth.

Your shepherds pie, tuna mayo (be careful with fat content of mayo) etc is mushy.

Mushy is the consistency of something you can mash with a fork. Imagine mashed banana, mashed up innards of a jacket spud. (yum)
Shepherds pie, you will still have to chew, chew, chew the meat content. Tuna too.

I hope that helps pet.
Grace xxx

Deets

Your on sloppy stage from next week, which is still food that can slide through a fork

eg weetabix but in enough milk that its like soup and slide through the fork. Mash is fine but has to be very runny, I like it with philli garlic and herb or corned beef, I thin mine with extra milk

The proper puree starts in another 2 weeks, you still don't want any lumps now but you do need it to be runny, use a fork to test its thin enough.

Bet you can't wait to get some real savouy food.

Hey Andrea,

my sheet says 2 weeks liquids, 2 weeks pureed (unless you mean sloppy as in pureed?), 2 weeks soft and finally solid food??

x

Puree is smooth, no lumps at all. Blitzed to death and add a bit of extra liquid if necessary, strain through a sieve too. It should be the consistency of smooth apple sauce. Yoghurt (no bits) mashed potato blended with gravy to make it more runny and smooth.

Your shepherds pie, tuna mayo (be careful with fat content of mayo) etc is mushy.

Mushy is the consistency of something you can mash with a fork. Imagine mashed banana, mashed up innards of a jacket spud. (yum)
Shepherds pie, you will still have to chew, chew, chew the meat content. Tuna too.

I hope that helps pet.
Grace xxx

that does help, thanks Grace :) So if i have shepherds pie for mushy, it would be ok to have lumps in it basically? But if i have it for puree, it cant have any lumps and should be blitzed?

For my tuna mayo i use tesco's extra light (i dont really taste like mayo anymore) mayonnaise ;)

x

that does help, thanks Grace :) So if i have shepherds pie for mushy, it would be ok to have lumps in it basically? But if i have it for puree, it cant have any lumps and should be blitzed?

For my tuna mayo i use tesco's extra light (i dont really taste like mayo anymore) mayonnaise ;)

x

yes that's right Deets. When you go onto mushy you have to remember to chew and eat slowly.
Extra light mayo is fine. I don't like the taste either.
You have to watch mayo in tuna etc when you're out in cafes. I had a nasty dumping do in Morrisons cafe with a prawn mayo jacket spud. It's made me very wary.

Yep, I suspect its the cheapest full-fat variety where ever you go. I'm not so bad now (6 months post-op) but Polly Pouch was VERY sensitive in the early days.

your weight loss is awesome Grace, you should feel very proud x

Thank you! Though it's not even 5 stones yet post-op! I've still got 2 pounds to go until I get there! But my skin is looking good, so I'm happy!:D:D:D:D

Isn't it strange how hospitals differ ? The dietician at L&D told me that after the initial liquid stage I would go onto mushy and when I said about it being really runny she said no, you don't need to make it runny just not lumpy. She said mashed spud and gravy was ideal.
It's so confusing when they all say different things !

I'm finding it confusing too!!

Andrea, what stage are you at now?? What have you been eating? I need inspiration fast.

BTW - Andrea your weight loss is just amazing knowing that you only had your sleeve the week before me. Well done!!

Well done to the others who have posted here too, I can't wait until my losses are up so high. I love being a loser!

Hi Deets,

That was just how Debs has described it while I was there. Just make it runny, no lumps or chewing yet and that it will fall through a fork.

Will we get dumping? I thought we would miss out on that but if we don't I'd rather know now, from what I've read on here its horrible.

I tend to purify the meat and then add it to the mash and gravy, but tonight is jacket without skin, low fat cream cheese and a few baked beans, I can still only manage a ramekin of it.

Hi Karen

My meals are normally breakfast porridge or weetabix with whey powder and very runnie, only 1/3 weetabix and a scoop of whey powder - chocolate my favourite.

Lunch is a cup of soup or yogurt, normally eaten at work .

Tea is potatoe either mash or jacket and no skin with either meat(pureed) and gravy, cheese, baked beans or meat pureed again, I normally add milk to make it runny if it isn't with gravy..

My understanding is taht dumping that you only get when you have a gastric bypass and you overload your body with either sugary or fatty foods or both.
From my understanding it can cause alot of uncomfortable feelings, including sickness and the runs, light headedness and general fever type feelings - if I've missed anything out or added too many please say so.

My belief though is it is only bypass patients that can suffer it, but I would like confirmation of this.

Yep banders dont dump!It can be very small amounts of sugar that kicks it off,sweats,nausea,weakness you have to lay down for a while till it wears off.Will keep you on the straight and narrow!

from the research ive done, sleevers dont dump. BUT, everyone is unique so i will be very wary of anything high fat the first few times i try it!

So Andrea, if you're a week ahead of me, technically you should be on purees? How are you getting on with things like beans? (ive had a hankering for cheesy beans on toast lol) x

love cheesy beans on toast....sorry had to get that in lol x

Back