• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Carb lover/fussy eater

Venusgirl

Hi
I'm starting to worry about how I will cope with food changes post op.
I am a total carbaholic and eat most, if not all of my meals with a generous helping of carbs wether that be pasta, potatos, bread........especially bread. It probably makes up the bulk of my diet.
I am also a fussy eater and have a very bland palate, don't like spicy food or any food that contains onions, tomatoes mushrooms and garlic. Find me a recipe without those ingredients and al be a happy bunny but it's almost impossible. I'm not a huge fruit and veg lover either although I do eat them but veg is usually only eaten as part of a roast dinner so they can be eaten with mash n gravy (good old carbs again).
I feel my diet is very limited and is probably why I have never been able to loose weight before. It is also the reason why I feel the sleeve would probably be best for me as my diet is as restricted as it is already.
I accept I have to make changes and have already made a start with cutting back my carbs and trying to eat more fruit and veg but I just wondered if anyone else has had any issues with either being a carb addict or a fussy eater.

Venusgirl said:
Hi
I'm starting to worry about how I will cope with food changes post op.
I am a total carbaholic and eat most, if not all of my meals with a generous helping of carbs wether that be pasta, potatos, bread........especially bread. It probably makes up the bulk of my diet.
I am also a fussy eater and have a very bland palate, don't like spicy food or any food that contains onions, tomatoes mushrooms and garlic. Find me a recipe without those ingredients and al be a happy bunny but it's almost impossible. I'm not a huge fruit and veg lover either although I do eat them but veg is usually only eaten as part of a roast dinner so they can be eaten with mash n gravy (good old carbs again).
I feel my diet is very limited and is probably why I have never been able to loose weight before. It is also the reason why I feel the sleeve would probably be best for me as my diet is as restricted as it is already.
I accept I have to make changes and have already made a start with cutting back my carbs and trying to eat more fruit and veg but I just wondered if anyone else has had any issues with either being a carb addict or a fussy eater.

You are exactly the same as me!! Seriously onions, mushrooms all offend me.. If I see it on a meal then I'll have to pick it out and put it in a tissue lol
I will only eat veg like u if it's covered in gravy..
The only fruit I like is strawberry but then they need cream on...
I don't like salad...
You have me your match venusgirl.. Lol

I am planning to follow slimming world extra easy plan (in very small doses) . I don't see it as a diet cos Ill be eating everything I like.. I used to eat half a loaf of bread a day.. But now I'll have 1 small roll or a pitta bread... I don't look at food like I used to.. And I am sure when you have ur Wls you will feel the same.. But there is no way a mushroom, onion, pepper is coming anywhere near my plate!

Good luck Hun xx

Oh thank the lord for you, I thought I was the only freaky eater!
I'm currently weaning myself off bread by eating pittas, warburtons thins etc and following slimming world by trying to stick to the old style red days to try and reduce my carbs and up my protein.
My hopes for wls is to stick to my fussy way of eating whilst having my hunger controlled by restriction.

Venusgirl said:
Oh thank the lord for you, I thought I was the only freaky eater!
I'm currently weaning myself off bread by eating pittas, warburtons thins etc and following slimming world by trying to stick to the old style red days to try and reduce my carbs and up my protein.
My hopes for wls is to stick to my fussy way of eating whilst having my hunger controlled by restriction.

No one can force what you don't like down your throat..lol...
I plan every day now what I am going to eat..I try to eat 1000kcals though some times it's not possible..
You will still feel hungry but you won't be able to eat the vast amounts... I have just eaten 2 bits of thick carved ham with a mini babybel light melted inside.. B4 Wls that would be smothered in mayo in a baguette with butter.. But I really enjoyed it. Only 2g of carbs and 15g in protein :) and I feel full.

Do u have the myfitnesspal app?

When r u having your surgery? X

Last edited by a moderator:
Although not as 'fussy' as that I too was a carboholic pre op. bread good bread was my love & pasta well ..... Enough said. Had my op & I'm cured. Don't even want bread, rice or pasta. I had a sleeve & my head (& stomach) now in a totally different place. I do struggle with getting my protein quota as I have a meat intolerance but I do manage. You just eat different things & in a totally different way. You will be fine.

My surgery won't be for another year by the sounds of things with Sunderland hospital :(
I've tried using my fitness pal once or twice but just dabbled nothing serious but yes it would be good to see what you actually eat so will try to add you next time I have a go.
Bellydancer, I hope my surgery 'fixes' my head too lol x

Like u I love carbs. However since the sleeve I cant eat bread. Pasta is minimum intake and I can just about get down a few spoonfuls of mashed potatoes. Chips taste rank now. So u may find ur tastebuds may change post op. Good luck.

Hi
I too lived off carbs but thats now a thing of the past. They just dont go down well at all, you can only eat a very small amount. It will be your head craving them and when you try to eat them you dont get far. The most i can eat is a slice of toast with the crusts cut off and most of the time i leave the last quarter.
Dont worry about the carbs you wont miss them much at all.

Kim

The operation is only a tool to be used to help weight loss. It is not a magic formula that will keep the weight off you . So sorry the truth hurts so unless you change what you eat the surgery will be a waste of time and money.Victoria x

I agree look for all the things you can eat and turn a negative into a positive!

Agree but it was weird tht my head just selects them now. I used to love good bread, smothered in butter yum. Was really worried how I was going to cope. Now I do not miss it & infact never even enters my head to have it, nor pasta or rice. Bizarre!

Yeah it's all about making wise food choices.. I will not eat salad, mushrooms, onions etc... Full stop.. And will not, but I'm making this work for me, in my way and I'm doing pretty well.. Hit a stall, upped my protein and I'm loosing again.. :) x

Bellydancer57 said:
Agree but it was weird tht my head just selects them now. I used to love good bread, smothered in butter yum. Was really worried how I was going to cope. Now I do not miss it & infact never even enters my head to have it, nor pasta or rice. Bizarre!

I don't miss it either..it really is strange.. I have one bit of carb a day really, normally a very small bread roll or a mini pitta full with protein. And I enjoy that more than I used to when I ate loads.. X

I don't miss it either..it really is strange.. I have one bit of carb a day really, normally a very small bread roll or a mini pitta full with protein. And I enjoy that more than I used to when I ate loads.. X

Yes understand that. I am still struggling with salad, veg & fruit. I loved them before but I am not fussed now & even fearful of them as have had a few bad experiences. Hope I can get a little better over the coming weeks.

Bellydancer57 said:
Yes understand that. I am still struggling with salad, veg & fruit. I loved them before but I am not fussed now & even fearful of them as have had a few bad experiences. Hope I can get a little better over the coming weeks.

Aww I hope you do as well. I have been lucky I have adapted really well, apart from fish had a bad experience with crayfish so I won't go back there for a while. I was surprised about the sugar content in fruit.. I never ate fruit before so it didn't occur to me. I buy the mini grape and apple bags, I have one daily now instead of crisps.. Hope you get better a few more weeks should sort you out :) x

Thx & might try those little bags good idea.

Back