• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

check yr multi vits have b1\thiamin in them!

samp24

Just a quick heads up for early post opppers to check that the chewable /liquid vits they are taking have vitamin b1 (Thiamin) in. ladyluck14k had issues with deficiency recently and I have too now. Just got back from hospital where bloods done and put on thiamin drip.I am seven weeks post bypass, and changed from abidec liquid vitamins (which have the right amount of b1 in) to a bassets chewable active health vitamin (which was on the list of vitamins recommended by my bariatric team) but which I now know doesn't have any thiamin in it!. had bad headache, trouble processing info, pins and needles in hands and arms and generally felt crappy for three days
.luckily I remembered ladyluck14k posted what happened to her, so rang my team and they had me in quick today to begin sorting it out. So just check yr chewable have vit b1 in. Looking for 1.4mg per day. Don't be afraid to call yr team and run past them anything yr worried about. Thiamin deficiency can be dangerous, so please check yr vits. I am going back for another drip tom, just to make sure I'm topped up. X

Im glad your getting it sorted Sam, and thanks for the heads up with the vitamins, I didnt even think to check my multi vits to check the B1 content, I will be doing that now!

So ive just checked my vitamins, ive been taking Asda kids chewable multi vit and having 2 a day, turns out they dont have any B1 Thiamin in it! So silly mistake by me there and no wonder im deficient! I have some centrium advanced fruit chewables in the medicine box which I found too fruity when I tried them the first day I got home but I will go back to taking them now at is has 91% daily recommended B1 in it.

Lesson learned there, thanks for the heads up Sam x

Actually, this is not enough - bypassers should have regular (around every 12 weeks) b12 injections. We cannot absorb b12 orally well enough for an oral supplement to be effective.

Thanks guys and yvessa, we know about the b12, and that oral multi vits won't cover that, three monthly b12 injections should keep that in check, but this heads up is to the thiamin content, which if defiecent in can have irreversible consequnces. And generally happens quicker than a b12 deficiency. I am going onto my solid centrum advanced now, will just be breaking them in half as per surgeons advice.

Just wondering if you guys have problems absorbing b12 if you take it sublingually? Ie the tablets you dissolve in your mouth that get absorbed via the lining of the mouth?

Would imagine that they would suggest them sublingually if that would work,.so am guessing that injections for b12 is more successful, will ask surgeon when I see him.

I think were all set with the b12 side of things arent we? We will be starting our b12 injections after 6 months and will continue to do so every 3 months.

As shown the B1 deficiency can happen much quicker, really useful advice to check what amounts your multi vit contains as turns out mine didn't even contain any lol.

Hi again. The injections do work better than any tablet, I've noticed that not everyone gets the injections & some people feel they need their injections more often, so the sublingual tablets seem like a good solution for those people but i dont know if the same absorption problems would occur? I suspect not because their not absorbed by the digestive system.
Does anyone know? Has anyone tried them?
I take them occasionally for an energy boost & they work a treat for me but I'm a bander & dont have the same absorption issues

I will be starting to take my bariatric multi vitamin in a couple of weeks when I finish the pro op diet. They are expensive but they have 14,000% of the RDA for B12 so I'm hoping I won't need any injections.

You need a normal stomach to absorb vit b12, if you're having a bypass I doubt you will absorb enough, but will be interested in hearing how you get on with it. Good luck with yr journey x

Centrum Advance 50+ contains 150% of B1 although I have been told my bloods need checking regularly and u may need B12 injections even with a sleeve xx

I also take a skin hair and nails vitamin and going to have to find a good calcium one xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Attachments

• image-3367561431.jpg
    image-3367561431.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 14
I'm using Centrum Advance which shows 127% for B1 and B12 100% if that helps anyone at all!?

Is there a reason why the centrum advance 50% has more in it and is it ok for someone under 50 to take it? Just wondering if I should be switching, although I'm a Pre bander, I'm assuming it wouldn't do any harm??

My dad gets the B12 injections, but I'm sure it was to do with age and Coeliac disease xx

Attachments

• image-3839524245.jpg
    image-3839524245.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 14
I take B12 sublingually and have it in my multi-vits also. Will let you know if I am deficient when I get my bloods done. I've also got a top-up of Thiamin as it helps with the hair loss.

I'm going to try a B12 intranasal spray for my next lot, apparently very effective. B12 needs to be absorbed by Mucus Membrane (which you up up yr nose and in yr mouth) for it to be effective.

I'm using Centrum Advance which shows 127% for B1 and B12 100% if that helps anyone at all!? Is there a reason why the centrum advance 50% has more in it and is it ok for someone under 50 to take it? Just wondering if I should be switching, although I'm a Pre bander, I'm assuming it wouldn't do any harm?? My dad gets the B12 injections, but I'm sure it was to do with age and Coeliac disease xx

I'm 30 but the Team said it is the perfect blend for the new bodies needs. I asked the same question xx

Gutted as I stocked up on the normal Centrum Advance before the op.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

B12 is thiamine. Since thiamine deficiency is caused by its lack.

I am very religious with my B12 injections every 12 weeks...I also take forceval prescribed from the doctors.
It's the best multivitamin around for bypassers as it contains everything we need.

Its worth noting that Vit B1 (Thiamine), is not among the nutrients that bypassers commonly become defiencent in. This is because it is absorbed in the jejunum and ileum (ie the bits of the intestine that are still active). So deficiency is largely caused by a lack of the substance in our diets. Although there are certain dietry substances and medical conditions that block its absorption

B12 (cobalamin) on the other hand is absorbed mainly in the stomach and duodenum (the bits that are bypassed), which is why oral supplimentation is not normally enough. However B12 can also be absorbed through the membranes in the mouth, which is why some people choose to use sublingual tablets.

Last edited:
Back