• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Close - but no RNY!

Dinda

So there I was yesterday, all gowned and labelled up, surgical stockings on, blood taken, consent forms signed .... Kissed my partner goodbye at the door to Theatre just as the surgical team came out and said Mr Botha needed to speak to me.

His mum is ill in Cape Town, he has a flight booked but will not have time to do my operation without rushing! Do I want a sleeve instead? I said I'd got my head around the by-pass, he had said it was my best option initially and I didn't think the sleeve was for me. I wished him luck with his mum and said I'd wait.
Had to wait to get my clothes and case back from the ward I'd been allocated to, changed then went for a drive round Oxford and Regent street to see the Christmas lights (we may as well make the most of our congestion charge payment!)

Apparently I can be placed on an emergency list for either next week or the week after, but I'm not holding my breath and might even prefer to get Christmas out of the way first.

Back at work now, explaining it again and again is making it funnier!

bless ya Dinda! I believe in fate, and it just wasn't your time but your time WILL come v v soon! xxx

How very frustrating for you, but how impressive you are at handling it all. I hope you don't have to wait too long for your rescheduled surgery. It must be urgent for your surgeon to rush to the other side of the world, I wish him and his mother well too.

All the best :)

Ah, Dinda. Hope you don't have to wait too long for a new date. But as you said, it might be nice to get thru this Xmas able to eat the fully Xmas meal for one last time, not struggling with a liquid / puree only diet at this time of year.

Best wishes.

Aw Dinda :( so so sorry, honey. What an impressive attitude you have in the face of such extreme disappointment :wave_cry: You will know what to expect when you do get there. Hope it is soon, sunshine xxx :)

Thank you both. I'm sticking to the liver shrink diet - although I might want to get a bit more creative with it!

Like Jen I really feel for Mr Botha, I lost my mum in Feb this year and it is far more traumatic than I could articulate. My thoughts about Christmas are mainly because I'm being 'mum' to my disabled brother and I want to be fighting fit as opposed to fighting fatigue ;)

I'm fine about it, I really believe everything happens for a reason.

It was just so last minute.

Wow your handling that really well....I would of flipped my stack I think. Id of collected my belongings, stayed in my nighty and took myself off to the mental health ward and stayed until his mother was well again.
I hope that doesnt happen to me!!

Right attitude you will rock the rny when you get it!

Hi Dinda, Wow you really are amazing the way you have dealt with the change particularly as you were so close. Keep up the good work. Cheers Cost x

minxtress said:
Wow your handling that really well....I would of flipped my stack I think. Id of collected my belongings, stayed in my nighty and took myself off to the mental health ward and stayed until his mother was well again.
I hope that doesnt happen to me!!

Rofl!!!!! I would be one extreme all the other.

Dinda, you are amazing and did really well :) I hope you have an amazing Christmas being 'mum' to your brother :D (((hugs)))

Mrs Quiggle said:
Oh dear Dinda, but well done you, I was a state when they cancelled me. Feel a bit ashamed now. Good for you for being so good. Hope his Mum is ok.

Love Kate x

You shouldn't feel ashamed. I would snot, cry, fall on the floor like Maury guests and all sorts lol

I would like to think I would be like Dinda given it's an emergency for the surgeon to get home for.

But for other reasons, let the waterworks like Niagra Falls commence lol

me to fuffs i really dont think i could be so ,
calm cool and collected, as dinda

i also belive everything happens for a reson,
funny how they can offeran alternative when it suites.

hope you here soon and have a lovely christmas with your
brother dinda. xxxx

Sorry it did not happen hun but far better he did not rush your op, much safer for you.
Very impressed the way you have dealt with it xxx

awww bless your heart Dinda :( what a disappointment, im praying for a quick date for you honey xxx

I do so hope things work out again soon for you. Bobsbigboy had a similar experience but his was down to a mixup with the paperwork rather than a family emergency. He was back for the correct op a month later.
As disappointing as it must be for you far better a bit longer wait than a rushed op & the additional risks that may have caused despite his expertise.
Good luck to you.

Gosh - you are all making me blush! I think the reason I took it 'well' was because I have the fairly recent experience of losing my mum - so my heart naturally went out to him.

I had a split second of doubt when he offered the sleeve instead, just because it was quicker - but decided to hold out.

By the time I was at the door to theatre I was rocking with pain from this sciatica anyway - so perhaps that took the edge off things for me because I was focusing on that instead of pure disappointment or shock.

Never mind x

Aw Dinda, what a lovely attitude. I think things happen for a reason, at least now it's taken some of the worry from your mind and you can make this Christmas as special for your brother as your mum used to.
I think it will also give you a bit more time to get over your bout of Sciatica. When the time is right you will sail through this. xxxxx

I got a call from the hospital yesterday offering me 3 dates, 14th Dec (next Wednesday) 9th or 16th Jan. I've opted for 9th January - although my boss did point out that he thought I should have the op next week, that way I'd have less time off sick because of the Christmas and New Year holidays. I have not been off sick for 8 years ........

thats Fantastic Dinda, it will fly by :) xxx

Back