• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Endoscopy

jaxx

Well I had a blip yesterday. After my ability to get food down progressively getting worse over the last few weeks, I couldn't even get fluids down easily yesterday despite sipping. I was at work so I called mum and asked her to pick me up early. Work said I could go. I felt incredibly nauseous and my pouch felt like it was really full and bloated.

I called my surgery team and after waiting a couple of hours for them to call back I got impatient and went to my local out of hours doctor. He was a bit concerned that I was dehydrated and as I've had kidney failure in the past he wanted me to go to the local hospital. Anyway went back home to pack a bag (just in case) and there was a message waiting for me from my surgery team. After a few phone calls faffing about trying to get hold of them again, I managed to speak to my surgical consultant. After asking me the usual questions about bowel movements etc he agreed it sounded like I have a thickening of the beginning of my pouch. He said he wasn't overly concerned though as fluid would still be getting through as I could swallow my own saliva. But he did say he wanted me back at the hospital on Wednesday for an endoscopy and if there's anything wrong, they'll try to fix it. I didn't tell him I'd been to the PCT but I called them to tell them what my surgeon had said and if I was to still go to the hospital. He said let the hospital decide if I needed treatment.

So drive to Royal Preston Hospital, find the Sugical Assessment Unit and then wait. Eventually I saw a doctor who examined me and said the same thing as my surgeon (I had explained I'd been in contact with my surgeon) that as I'm able to get saliva down, I should be able to get fluids down if I sipped slowly. Que an even longer wait for a discharge letter and I finally get home.

I've had nothing but liquids today. Cups of tea and a cup of Bovril and some strained soup.

So now I have to wait for confirmation for my endoscopy at Murrayfields. I have a super sensitive gag reflex so I'm hoping they'll knock me out completely!

Awww hun, so sorry to hear things are still difficult for you. Hope the hospital visit will go ok for you and they can finally help you on your journey. Shame you have had such a bad time, sending hugs xx

Bloody hell Jaxx, you are really going through it aren't you hun:(Hope you get sorted asap xx:D

Poor you! It really sounds as though you are going through the mill with this.
I hope it gets sorted out for you soon.

sorry you are having it rough. i have to go for an endoscopy on the 11th as they found noalcoholic cerrosis on my liver wen they did my op and its to make sure its not caused any problems in my tubes. to be honist im absolutly s.....g it im so scared id rather be going for my op again. like you i cant stand the thought of the tube going down so i want the injection that sedates you , well i admit it im a total coward, i would prefare to be out compleatly but ill go for the nearest. ive made them promis that they will stop imidaetly if i want them to. if i go before you ill let you know how i went on , will you do same and tell me honistly how it felt ,....................kath x

Hope you go on ok will be thinking about you

xx

sorry you are having it rough. i have to go for an endoscopy on the 11th as they found noalcoholic cerrosis on my liver wen they did my op and its to make sure its not caused any problems in my tubes. to be honist im absolutly s.....g it im so scared id rather be going for my op again. like you i cant stand the thought of the tube going down so i want the injection that sedates you , well i admit it im a total coward, i would prefare to be out compleatly but ill go for the nearest. ive made them promis that they will stop imidaetly if i want them to. if i go before you ill let you know how i went on , will you do same and tell me honistly how it felt ,....................kath x

I'll definitely let you know how it goes. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Got my appointment today. I have to be at the hospital for 12noon. I'm pooping my pants to be honest but I hope I get a general. I've been told I'll be having a room and I've to take my dressing gown and slippers and some toiletries with me.

hope everything goes well for you chick, sounds like it's a rough road you're on at the minute, things can only get better as they say x

Fingers crossed for you Jaxx-is it tomorrow? I'll be thinking of you.

Hi everyone thanks very much for your support.

I'm home now and I did have a constriction of the entrance to my pouch which has been stretched by the surgeons. It was very unpleasant and incredibly painful but I'm glad it's over and I'm already seeing the benefits of it now. I don't feel nauseous at all now and I've been able to have soup and yoghurt today. I've been advised that I should treat my diet as if I've just had surgery and start again.

I'm just glad there was something there and it's been fixed. The doctor said that there could be a chance that it could happen again and I would need another stretch but he doesn't think it's likely.

Oh and on the plus side, when the nurse weighed me I've lost 2 more kilos! lol

Glad you have been sorted Jaxx, and I suppose if you look at the positive at least your weight loss has got off to a speedy start. Fingers crossed it will all become much easier for you now. xx

So pleased you're sorted now. Have a good rest and hope it's plain sailing from here on in.

Back