• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Complications after WLS

Got to go back to the Doctors tomorrow (will see a different GP because mine only works 3 days) because my BP is very high. The last reading was 178/110 about 20mins ago, the highest reading last night was 186/116 and the lowest this morning was 166/105. :(
If I hadn't gone to ask for the referral I would never have guessed it was that high!

At times I regret my bypass....it's been a long five years of tummy issues,tests,tablets and surgery 2 weeks ago.

I had a gastric sleeve and had no problems with the surgery.

During the liquid/mushy stage, I developed a dislike of liquids because everything tasted so sweet and water left a disgusting taste in my mouth so I became a little dehydrated. After speaking to the bariatric nurse, who thought I might have oral thrush, I got some medication from my GP. It took a few weeks but the symptoms improved and the 'incredibly sweet' taste eased off.

I then developed a problem with dairy. Milk, cheese and eggs were a problem for me and still are.

I also started vomiting after food and regurged a lot as well. I had to have two barium swallow tests and also two endoscopys and it was discovered that I had a tight sleeve, a narrowing of the food pipe and also a clockwise twist of the food pipe.

As time went on, the sickness and regurging drastically improved and I can now eat a little more than before.

There are a lot of foods that I can only tolerate in very small doses or not at all like bread, rice, dry meat, chips and bacon.

I am experiencing very nasty stomach aches at the moment and I'm waiting for further tests. It could be my food pipe or gall stones which I know I have because I was diagnosed with them in March, but I think it's down to me eating too much without letting the previous food digest (head hunger problem).

Having said all this, I wouldn't change my sleeve for anything and don't regret it for a minute. I'm currently a size 16 top and a 14/16 bottom. The last time I was a size 14 was 29 years ago!

My weight loss has now completely removed the threat of diabetes (had a blood test to confirm this). I can also walk a lot faster than before and for a much greater distance. I can also run and I'm thinking of taking up jogging. I've lost muscle tone, especially in my arms and bottom so I will have to work on that but generally, I feel a lot healthier.

I had a band last August. Im in for surgery next month to replace the port and tubing. I have sprung a leak which they can't find and are hoping this will solve the problem. If not my band will need to be replaced

I had a band in 2007 and though there always was a problem with me getting restriction I did lose the 9 stone I wanted to lose. Mostly through dieting. Still I got on with it until just under 2 years ago when I started with persistent cough. I had developed band induced reflux. Pretty miserable thing to live with so, though my band had not slipped or anything, I have just had a revision to a mini gastric bypass.

Flickalicious do you regret having it done? Is the head screw and malnutrition worth the weightloss?

I've never regretted it hun. It's one of the best things I've ever done - I wouldn't have my baby girl without it! :)

The head screw is harder to deal with than the malnutrition. At least with that it's just an increase or change in tablets and diet. Mentally though the drastic change in physical appearence can be hard to accept. Catching my reflection whilst walking past a mirror has made me hysterical in the past (in the George department in Asda lol) And trying on clothes several sizes too big still and being in denial about it. I'm so grateful I was able to have it done!

I promise you having the bypass is life changing beyond words. For me these things are issues in *my* head. I have depression and anxiety which doesn't help. It's amazing :) xXx

Same probs as weegie and same revision BUT if I hadn't of had my band I would never have got the confidence to turn my life around meet my gorgeous fiancé and especially due to pcos and my weight I would never have had my two beautiful girls!

Back