• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Compliments..How do you take them?

Andy1968

Hi all
Hope you're all ok.

Ok so i'm in Tesco today and caught up with a few people i haven't seen for a while...and all were stunned when they saw the new(ish) me.
They all told me how amazing & well i looked...Now while i thought this was a lovely thing to be told...I was really embarrassed about it for some reason...and even thought they were just saying it to be nice:eek:

How have you felt when you've been told you look great?
Just wondered how you took it.
I've lost 7 st 2 lb so i know i've lost weight and look different...but it was just a bit weird hearing nice things being said about me...Hope this makes sense:(

Take care
Andy x

that's exactly how i feel i never liked being chatted up when i was young and pretty so when i was fat obviously it didn't happen (well not much) but now i just say thankyou fluff over it and change the subject :) ask them how they are etc , i have said hi to a couple of people who only ever knew me as fat and they hadn't recognised me so i had to remind them who i was which was very weird x but still inside it does make you feel good even if we can't show it :)

I take my compliments with two sugars;)

I say thank you, I try to make sure I look really pleased and probably look a bit surprised. I genuinely appreciate that people feel comfortable enough to say something and most will then go on to ask other stuff, but I agree that its a very difficult thing to handle at first.

im exactly the same, i feel so awkward, but just say thanks, it gets easier, try to enjoy it :) xxx

It's been that long since I've had a compliment, I'm sure I'd shrink away to nothing with embarrassment if ever anyone ever did. Used to the normal way folk percieve me guess. :-/

That's the way of thinking we all had Joe and why it's so hard to take compliments graciously , always seems an ulterior motive until we realise it's genuine xx

When I've been in high heels and a sensible knee length skirt I have noticed various men turning their head to look twice at me.

Nearly fell off my heels the first time :rolleyes:

Its really quite hard!! People that I work with seem to either say you look well or your hair looks nice!! I just smile and say thank you!!

Still waiting for this to happen lol!

I think I'd get a bit embarrassed and genuinely not believe them, got a bit of a negative image of myself which I hope will improve! Xxx

I can't believe that !:).....

Would like to say can't wait for this. But reality tells me not sure I would believe them or the sincerity of it which is really sad.

I would like to say I can't wait for this. But reality says I would not believe them or the sincerity behind it. Which is really sad I know. I think I would think.they were just saying it yo be nice and not.being.genuine.

I do believe them. I just think there's something wrong with their eyes. Specsavers anyone? lol.

Having lost 10 st I know I look loads better, I am having to tell people who I am as I look totally different now. I have gone from a size 30 to a size 12/14. Had my very curly brown hair straightened and bleached! I was at a funeral and even my family who haven't seen me in the last year had to be told who I was! After being big for almost 30 years I understand it. But now I find I am avoiding people who I haven't seen for ages because I just don't want to talk about it anymore. I just want to get on with my life and forget there was ever a "before". I just want to blend in and be just me!

Take all compliments with open hands & open heart. We deserve them after all our hard work. I walk around with a permed ant grin. Do get some wird look though LOL
Xxx

Having lost 10 st I know I look loads better, I am having to tell people who I am as I look totally different now.... But now I find I am avoiding people who I haven't seen for ages because I just don't want to talk about it anymore. I just want to get on with my life and forget there was ever a "before". I just want to blend in and be just me!

So wierd. I was just talking about this yesterday. I'm finding myself doing exactly the same thing - I see people in the street I've not seen since whenever and they don't recognise me (even my surgeon didn't) and I don't say hello as I need to forget the previous me, forget the op and concentrate on the future. It's a bit sad in a way but I completely get where you are. Well done, btw xx

I've had total strangers stop me in the street and saying "you look great" it's hard to take a compliment as I've always had nasty comments shouted at me in the street.

Back