• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

concerned

chris2710

This may seem a stupid question, but is it possible to diet yourself off wls. The point is that I've been accepted with a relatively low bmi (37) because of diabeties, I'll admit to winning in the postcode lottery. My concern is that if I lose weight during the eight? months waiting time, and go under the 35 bmi will I have made myself ineligible for surgery. Or if I put weight on, will that make me lose my chance. I'm a confirmed yoyoer so even if I lose weight, I know I will put it on again without help.

Hi Chris

I'm sure each hospital have different rules and regulations but I know my hospital insist that once you have had an initial appointment with them you are definitely in the process regardless of whether or not you loose a lot of weight. Maybe a call to your consultants secretary will put your mind at rest.

I am with Debz on this one, I actually found the whole process from refferal to getting my op date a HUGE motivator for the first time ever. I have been told my weight loss to date is excellent and I already feel fitter and better for it. My consultant has encouraged all of this and says it makes his job easier on the day. Once on the roller coster ride you can not get off - thankfully

I was told at the hospital that no matter how much weight you lose it before the surgery it wouldn't matter as only your weight/BMI at referral would count (I'm in a similar situation as I'm on the lower end but with a number of comorbidity issues).

Hope that helps!

I think that once you're in the system, you're in. From my first pass at the milk diet (I think it's an L&D thing) in Feb until my op in June, I lost 41Kg, and all my blood pressure, diabetic and cholesterol meds. But I still had my op. My consultant suggested that no matter how much I lost, the op would stop me going back to my bad ways. I'm all for that.

Hope this helps

Chris

Check with your consultants secretary xx

Back