• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Concerned....

Mr Doo

Just wanted to ask you all something. Since my op ( gastric bypass) 5 weeks ago I've lost 2 stone. Is this a good loss or not? Feel like I should have lost more, don't know why, just feeling really disappointed.

I actually lost two stone also with my pre-op liver reduction diet in the two weeks before surgery so don't know if this is adding to my feeling bad, as I managed to do that in two weeks yet only lost the same in the five weeks post op.

I eat on average 600 calories a day, and go to the gym 4 mornings a week, do 30 mins varied cardio and 30 minutes strength training. I have my 6 week post op appointment at the hospital next Wednesday and feel they are going to be as disappointed as me, but I honestly haven't cheated in any way with my diet, any thoughts?

emmten

Sounds like you are doing well to me. Remember that a lot of the weight you lose pre op was glycogen and water from the liver, not fat. It was never meant to be a sustainable diet. It is also common to have a stall not long after surgery, at least for wrap and sleeve, as the body heals from surgery trauma and gets used to the fact that the new regime is long term and not a short term fast.

In the short term the body raids the glycogen energy stores from the liver and muscle, hence liver reduction Glycogen is water soluble (4 parts water 1 part glycogen) , which is why early weight loss is always rapid and not easily repeated.

Congratulations on your progress so far :)

louloumoo

You've lost a medium sized child in 7 weeks.. How can u be disappointed..!

That weight loss is great imagine if u could keep that up..! How many months to target.. ?

Be pleased your doing good..

fjsinc

You are doing very well! You cant expect the same losses post op that you got on your pre-op diet. During the pre-op you loose mostly fluids because your liver shrinks. Now you are loosing fat, and I bet it took you more than 5 weeks to put on that 2 stone :)

Try not to get disheartened, keep working at it, and you'll get there.

fayz

Hi Mr Doo
You're doing great! We had our ops on the same day and I've lost just over 2st including pre-op diet. It has taken me a bit longer to recover and I've not started any serious exercise yet just gentle walking but I'm chuffed with the 2st. I had my appointment with the dietician recently and the best advice she gave me was to stop weighing myself daily. She also said that a stall is very likely and a large number of people have a stall in weight loss that can last up to 6 weeks. The weight will start coming off again, it has to on so few calories. She explained that for some people it can be stalls followed by stepped drops. We just need to find our pattern and keep on doing what we're doing and we'll get there.

Mr Doo

Thanks everyone
Just being more positive about it " its a loss, not a maintain or gain " & if on weds they say something negative they can kiss my :massmoon: :D:D:D

emma-louise

my new life!!
Mr doo...

If I remember you had your surgery at Salford like me 3 years ago.
My weightloss has been quite slow but steady,you can feel a bit gutted when you read about others loosing weight quickly on here so try not to compare(even though its hard,as we all do it)
What I can say now is,because my weight came off slow my skin is better for it,I haven't got a lot of loose skin.
If your worried ring chris the dietician at Salford,he's so helpful.

femfrankie

Shrinking For Sophie
That's an amazing loss Mr doo well done! I'm not expecting a miracle weightloss once I get the op as I'm all too aware that everyone has a different pace to others. It's easy to get taken in by some people's magnificent losses and then feel a bit despondent when it doesn't happen for you. As louloumoo says the beauty is at least this time when the weight is off it will stay off.. As long as we play by the rules of course ;) x

Yvessa

Its funny - I never felt I was losing fast enough. There are people who have lost quicker than me - but actually slow and steady works. Those lbs will add up. That said, 2 stone in 5 weeks isn't exactly slow and steady ;)

Mr Doo

Hi emma-louise,
I have my 6 week app on wednesday, so will sort concerns with chris or fiona which ever one i see ( both have been great with me )
Hope your doing well
Mark

annemieke_loves

I've lost 5 kg on pre op, and I'm now 16 days post ip and have Lost another 6,5 kg. I haven't lost anything in the las few days though, is this normal?

Mr Doo

Hi annemieke
My new way of thinking is any loss/maintain is better than a gain
so i would say yes to your question
good luck

emmten

I've lost 5 kg on pre op, and I'm now 16 days post ip and have Lost another 6,5 kg. I haven't lost anything in the las few days though, is this normal?
Hi Annemieke,

I know we are all guilty of it, but try not to weight yourself every day, that way lies madness when the inevitable stalls come.

Are you using mfp or some other way of recording your progress, so you can look back and see your achievements?

On the subject of stalls, after the rapid weight loss of the pre-op and the inital post-op weight loss often stops at about 3 to 6 weeks. Don't know why it happens to so many, body taking a breather I guess and adjusting to surgery and new regime.

When weight loss starts again it is often a step of a couple of pounds, rather than one!

Congratulations on your weight loss so far, keep up the good work and don't beat yourself up when the almost inevitable stall happens :)

annemieke_loves

Hi Annemieke,

I know we are all guilty of it, but try not to weight yourself every day, that way lies madness when the inevitable stalls come.

Are you using mfp or some other way of recording your progress, so you can look back and see your achievements?

On the subject of stalls, after the rapid weight loss of the pre-op and the inital post-op weight loss often stops at about 3 to 6 weeks. Don't know why it happens to so many, body taking a breather I guess and adjusting to surgery and new regime.

When weight loss starts again it is often a step of a couple of pounds, rather than one!

Congratulations on your weight loss so far, keep up the good work and don't beat yourself up when the almost inevitable stall happens :)

Ah thanks Hun! I'm going to ask my husband to hide the scales ;-)

SophieG

I'm four weeks post op (bypass) and I like u feel very disappointed in myself as I've only managed to lose three stone and I think I should have lost more. My weight seems to have stopped atm and I'm not too sure why?! I think myself it's because I've been struggling to manage a litre of water a day? Even though I should drink more than that! Anyone else's weight stop this soon after surgery?

Paula Garner

I'm four weeks post op (bypass) and I like u feel very disappointed in myself as I've only managed to lose three stone and I think I should have lost more. My weight seems to have stopped atm and I'm not too sure why?! I think myself it's because I've been struggling to manage a litre of water a day? Even though I should drink more than that! Anyone else's weight stop this soon after surgery?

3 stone in 4 weeks is brilliant!! Don't worry about your weight slowing, it's just your body adjusting to the drastic changes. Just stick to the rules and it will pick up again :)