• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Confused about post-op diet!

Jazzyxxx

Hi everyone!

I'm new today so just getting used to the forums etc.

Had my gastric band fitted on Friday, still a little bit in shock about the whole thing, went in to discuss a couple of weeks ago and now it's fitted!!

I'm a little bit confused about the post op diet, I've been reading mixed info online about what you can and can't eat, in all honesty I didn't read the pack they gave me until a couple days after surgery (I've had a very strange emotional reaction to this whole surgery business - been very evasive and unlike myself!!), I've been told a liquid/puréed food diet for two weeks and then soft food for two weeks following that and no bread or rice for 3 months. (And obv no fizzy drinks ever again :s )

Before I read this booklet thing they gave me I had some soft mashed up food - potatoes, spinach and lentils - this didn't seem to have any negative effect on me...I also had some soups with bits of very soft veg in and this didn't seem to have an effect either.

What I was wondering is if it's completely necessary to purée everything? Are very soft foods ok?

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
You MUST follow the post op advice you were given. We can only tell you what we were advised, which for me was the same as you.

Read, read and read again the advice you were given and stick to it. You have to be committed to following a new way of eating to succeed.

Good luck x

top_kat

What Mazza has said is right, you really need to follow their guidelines. Leave behind the things you've been trying and following their guidelines in terms of liquids only, its for the good of the band and you!

AngeM

Jazzy you may be able to tolerate soft / mushy food now but we are all advised to stick to a liquid diet for two weeks following surgery so that the stomach can heal :)