• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Confused and questions

Helski

Hi
I'm two weeks post op gastric band and a little confused. I've done the two weeks liquid and am now on puree/mushy stage.

I've been having porridge for breakfast, soup for lunch and eg fish pie last night. Where I am confused is what am I striving for here? I know that the food needs to be mushy as I'm still healing but what should the quantities be like? I'm not eating large portions and I am chewing well and eating very slowly, is this all I need to be concerned about? What's the difference between mushy food on the plate and chewing more solid food really well, until it's 'mushy' in the mouth?

Like everyone else, I guess, I look all over the web for advice and inspiration and I get so many conflicting comments.

Until I have restriction what should I be expecting?

Thanks.:confused:

top_kat

HW your provider give pretty detailed instructions on their portions sizes. You should be looking at a main course of 4-6 tablespoons only. They also suggest on their dietary information for when you actually get on to normal food that it should be on a side plate and that 50% should be protein, 40% salad/veg and about 10% carbs. The protein being the things that you eat first, then the salad/veg and lastly the carbs.

You should also have received a timer - if you've not got one of these contact them. HW also suggest that you follow a 30/30/20 rule. ie small morsel of food no bigger than a 50p piece, chew for 30 seconds, wait for 30 seconds and eat for no longer than 20 mins. If there's anything left then to leave it.

You will read a whole host of information and it will all vary, but you need to be following your providers info and to be honest HW actually give a lot of indication of foods, portions etc in the booklet that you should have been given :)

Even without restriction, those are the portion sizes that you should be following, and when you do find restriction (which can take a long time depending on each individual) then you may need to slow the eating down further.

it is really important that just because you can eat larger portions that you do not. It can stretch the pouch above the band, it can cause blockages and slippages, and this is something that you need to avoid doing.

But, if you've not received this information from HW call them, they will let you have the booklets and info and the timer - but you will also be able to pick these up from when you go for your first fill :)

Helski

Thanks TK, I knew that you would set me straight. I'm embarrassed to admit that I accidentally threw out the HW booklet. I had some visitors coming and I didn't want them to see it and forgot about the post op information contained in it.... stupid twit that I am! What you've told me is pretty much what I've been doing so that's okay. Thanks for your help and advice as ever. H :)

top_kat

You're doing great. You can always ask for another booklet when you go, or ask for them to email you their diet sheet. As that gives the % of the foods as well and helps with the portion sizes.

Depending on who you see for your fills tthere is one thing that they conflicting information on and that is whether it is ok to drink or not at the time of the meal. One will say only up until the time you eat, and then not for an hour or so after. The other, after ongoing research is that you can drink, but it should only be small sips and that you should refrain from drinking volume for a period of time afterwards.