• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Considering gastric band but scared

Corgi7

Hi everyone. New to all this and slightly apprehensive. I'm considering gastric band but scared

What is scaring you? The op? The change your life will have? Or is it just the unknown ? I can say I was scared before my op too, it's a big deal and not something to be entered into lightly. You will get loads of support here xxx

I had a gastric band fitted ten days ago. It all went really well, and I'm healing nicely.

Beforehand, it really helped me to read all the topics on here, so I understood what happens, how it works, and how you need to work with it.

What is it that you're scared of?

I think my main concern was never being able to eat normally again, or never enjoying a meal properly. But in fact, being slim is more important to me, and having a band doesn't mean there's nothing you can eat. In fact many banders can eat relatively normally if they choose to, and have to exercise considerable willpower. It's not the same for everyone.

It's too early days for me to tell you whether it's changed my life or not, but I hope it'll make a big difference and I'm determined to make it work.

Have you spoken to any providers yet, or your GP? Would you pay for it yourself or go through the NHS?

I think if you feel that way you need to really look at what you're scared of and to research as much as you can.

The band is a great tool but one that takes a lot if work, a lot of life changes to get results and you need to be in the best place to begin this journey.

I've had my band 13 months, but it took me 7+ years to book my surgery through personal fears :)

Hi Corgi, and welcome:)

I was banded in August. I understand the fear, it's natural. There is a huge amount of support on here, and plenty of people who've been through the op if you have any questions.

I totally understand your fear, I also feel a bit like that. I think we should just keep reading peoples experiences and it should help us to make a decision.

Don't rule out a sleeve or bypass which may be more suitable. With my band my eating choices were significantly more restricted. Plus you can still eat the bad things in quantity higher than a bypass. The bypass has made eating (now that I finally am) much more back to normal things. So glad I changed.

it is a natural fear Corgi, because we really don't know what we are going to face, research as much as you can all of the Wls methods, it will help you to find out as much as you can and be well armed with lots of info that will help you in making the choice.

Lots of my fears were based around the anaesthetic and having one, but to help me I chose a provider, surgeon who had a zero % mortality rate to help with those fears! it still didn't stop me worrying that if be the first! I still worried that things wouldn't work or that the band wouldn't be right for me! but it's a step I wish I'd managed to take so long ago.

Have you spoken to any providers yet?

If not contact several, get their information, speak to them, because that also helped me with making my decision as there were some who I was not happy or comfortable with and I think that is important we are :)

Hello and welcome. As the other posters have said, do your research, talk to providers and be honest with yourself and them about your behaviours, and be prepared to change. Change can be frightening and exciting at the same time. Two and a half years ago I was in the same position as you. 10 months later with my band I achieved my target weight and now am over 150lbs down. Wls is a great tool, but always remember you control what you pop in your mouth whichever route you opt for :rolleyes:

I had a gastric band fitted ten days ago. It all went really well, and I'm healing nicely. Beforehand, it really helped me to read all the topics on here, so I understood what happens, how it works, and how you need to work with it. What is it that you're scared of? I think my main concern was never being able to eat normally again, or never enjoying a meal properly. But in fact, being slim is more important to me, and having a band doesn't mean there's nothing you can eat. In fact many banders can eat relatively normally if they choose to, and have to exercise considerable willpower. It's not the same for everyone. It's too early days for me to tell you whether it's changed my life or not, but I hope it'll make a big difference and I'm determined to make it work. Have you spoken to any providers yet, or your GP? Would you pay for it yourself or go through the NHS?
Thanks for encouragement. Have checked out a couple of providers but so far means having to fly to England for surgery as not available in N Ireland. Will I be fit to fly home day after surgery?

Thanks for encouragement. Have checked out a couple of providers but so far means having to fly to England for surgery as not available in N Ireland. Will I be fit to fly home day after surgery?

Not a chance cud you fly the day after. Sorry x

it is a natural fear Corgi, because we really don't know what we are going to face, research as much as you can all of the Wls methods, it will help you to find out as much as you can and be well armed with lots of info that will help you in making the choice. Lots of my fears were based around the anaesthetic and having one, but to help me I chose a provider, surgeon who had a zero % mortality rate to help with those fears! it still didn't stop me worrying that if be the first! I still worried that things wouldn't work or that the band wouldn't be right for me! but it's a step I wish I'd managed to take so long ago. Have you spoken to any providers yet? If not contact several, get their information, speak to them, because that also helped me with making my decision as there were some who I was not happy or comfortable with and I think that is important we are :)
I have checked out a couple, such as Hospital Group but that means taking a flight. But will do if that's my only option. Anaesthetic risks also causing me some fears

Welcome Corgi7 - I have to ask what is with the name... Is it anything to do with the Corgi Dog? (I am a sucker for a sweet little Corgi... long story...) :eek: Welcome to the forum, I am fairly new around here myself, but everyone has been really friendly and helpful! :cool:
Corgi just a nick name and nothing to do with dogs

With the band I probably could have flown the next day. Bypass, no chance I was a wreck. I'd probably do a couple of days in Travelodge after surgery before I flew, but I am a bit of a whimp. You don't know how you are going to be to the time.

Don't rule out a sleeve or bypass though ;)

Back