• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Considering gastric band but scared

Corgi, I'm also from NI... Is it expensive getting it done in Belfast? Have been longing for surgery for ages but travelling after surgery put me off. Good luck with the procedure. Will be avidly watching your progress! Xx

Corgi, I'm also from NI... Is it expensive getting it done in Belfast? Have been longing for surgery for ages but travelling after surgery put me off. Good luck with the procedure. Will be avidly watching your progress! Xx
Thanks Tandydadder. There are a couple of providers in Belfast. I am consulting with Pheonix Irish Health that do the surgery in Ulster Independent Clinic. There prices vary according to aftercare package you choose. From £4950 to £7450. There is also a company in Dublin Aurelia there cost is 7500 euro

Corgi, I'm also from NI... Is it expensive getting it done in Belfast? Have been longing for surgery for ages but travelling after surgery put me off. Good luck with the procedure. Will be avidly watching your progress! Xx[/QUOTE
I've also been thinking about this surgery for years but couldn't bring myself to it until now. But also needed to save the money as NHS don't fund it in NI!!! Post code lottery!

Well went to see my Surgeon this evening and now not sure which type of surgery to go for. Gastric Band or Gastric Bypass. How did you guys decide?

I did a lot of research about the pros and cons of each method, and I compared that to my own eating habits to see which would best suit my issues. I then spoke to a couple of providers, and the ones who spent a significant amount of time discussing my lifestyle agreed with me that the band best answered my needs.

It's a decision only you can make, but arm yourself with facts rather than other people's opinions and you'll be fine:)

I did a lot of research about the pros and cons of each method, and I compared that to my own eating habits to see which would best suit my issues. I then spoke to a couple of providers, and the ones who spent a significant amount of time discussing my lifestyle agreed with me that the band best answered my needs. It's a decision only you can make, but arm yourself with facts rather than other people's opinions and you'll be fine:)
thanks Sarah this is helpful advice. You go to the consultation thinking you know what surgery you want but come away very unsure!!

As sarahrob says, don't just take people's opinions, get proper advice on the pros and cons of each.

Read up on here as well, read the FAQs and experiences of people who've had both types of surgery.

Also, don't be too swayed by people who've had band to bypass revision surgery - not everyone needs to do that!

Good luck with your decision.

I did a lot of research about the pros and cons of each method, and I compared that to my own eating habits to see which would best suit my issues. I then spoke to a couple of providers, and the ones who spent a significant amount of time discussing my lifestyle agreed with me that the band best answered my needs. It's a decision only you can make, but arm yourself with facts rather than other people's opinions and you'll be fine:)

Sarah, you give such sensible, amazing advice and posts, thank you! X

Hi im from NI too and plan to have a band fitted in the ulster independent clinic u dont need to travel x

Corgi..just read your posts..I went to meet pheonix on tuesday past, was it emily you spoke to? I meet with the surgeon next monday..was your surgeon andrew kennedy or gareth kirk? I also cant decidr whether to have my band pre or post xmas! We could be in around the same time!

Corgi..just read your posts..I went to meet pheonix on tuesday past, was it emily you spoke to? I meet with the surgeon next monday..was your surgeon andrew kennedy or gareth kirk? I also cant decidr whether to have my band pre or post xmas! We could be in around the same time!
Yeah I've met Emily and spoken to her several times. She really helpful. I met Mr Kennedy last night and like you I can't decide to go ahead with surgery before Christmas or after although considering tomorrow is 1st November I may leave it until start of year. Although haven't decided for sure yet.

As sarahrob says, don't just take people's opinions, get proper advice on the pros and cons of each. Read up on here as well, read the FAQs and experiences of people who've had both types of surgery. Also, don't be too swayed by people who've had band to bypass revision surgery - not everyone needs to do that! Good luck with your decision.
Thanks Banderbird. Everyone's advice has been really helpful but at the end of the day the decision will be mine. How are you getting on?

Yeah I've met Emily and spoken to her several times. She really helpful. I met Mr Kennedy last night and like you I can't decide to go ahead with surgery before Christmas or after although considering tomorrow is 1st November I may leave it until start of year. Although haven't decided for sure yet.

Im the same I dont see the surgeon til 11th november and hate the thought of recovering over xmas though would lile to get it over with! Great to know some1 possibly going through the same provider :) whereabouts are u from? Im in carrickfergus x

Im the same I dont see the surgeon til 11th november and hate the thought of recovering over xmas though would lile to get it over with! Great to know some1 possibly going through the same provider :) whereabouts are u from? Im in carrickfergus x
Yeah I agree I think it's great someone else is using the same provider as me. I'm from Tyrone. After you see your surgeon for the first time he ask you to take some time to consider your options and to then come back to see him again a couple of weeks later.

I had a band first but it caused problems later on and was good but my by pass is better for me every one is different so what suits me may not suit you I took what the surgeon recommends as there experience is valuable I wish I had listed to him as he said bypass but I felt the risk was too great but we all learn by our mistakes but good luck what ever you choose sorry this is no help

I had a band first but it caused problems later on and was good but my by pass is better for me every one is different so what suits me may not suit you I took what the surgeon recommends as there experience is valuable I wish I had listed to him as he said bypass but I felt the risk was too great but we all learn by our mistakes but good luck what ever you choose sorry this is no help

Do you mind me asking what problems you had with the band? Trying to prepare myself for every possible scenario!x

Thanks Banderbird. Everyone's advice has been really helpful but at the end of the day the decision will be mine. How are you getting on?

Still early days, but really well so far :)

I'm adjusting to this new way of eating, I'm following the guidelines as best I can, and telling myself that this is for the long haul.

I can honestly say it's not as tough as I thought it would be, but it's a real learning curve.

I'm looking forward to being slim! Good luck x

No my band was great for 18 months then it just slipped and started to cause problems we did try to get it back but kept slipping out of position so I had to have it removed then I had to wait a year to let my tummy settle down before my bypass
Good luck

Back