• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Scared

Hi I am new,

I have struggled with my weight for the majority of my adult life. Managing to loose up to 8 stone only to put it all back on plus more. I can't seem to maintain the weight loss. :cry:

I now have a BMI of 54. My GP tells me that Thurrock PCT will not fund a gastric band as apart from my weight and hypothyroidism I am too healthy.

Recently due to my hypothyroidism, I have had to see an endocrinologist who keeps insisting that I should seriously consider having a gastric band. He recommends Mr Ahmed at Imperial. I would have to pay for this privately as PCT would not fund.

I am scared/ apprehensive in taking this step. Due to the fear of having an anaesthetic and the worry of never being able to eat normally again.

Can anyone reassure me?

I would suggest contacting your local health authority to double check your local criteria as GPs do sometimes get it wrong (I'm. Not saying yours has but it may be worth checking)

Thank you for your advice. I will phone them tomorrow how would I go about finding their contact details as the PCT's do not exit any more?

No, you can't eat 'normally' again, but you get used to your new way of eating. In my opinion the benefits far outweigh the downsides. Also, it's not as if you can't eat at all, you just have to eat very differently.

When you start losing weight, and you know that this time it's for good, you will know it's worth it.

Good luck with whatever you do :)

Hi, I'm a bander, 18 months post op, also started this journey with a BMI of 54. I went private as my GP just laughed and it actually took me 7 years to book my surgery due to my own personal fear of anaesthetic!

Just because you have a band, doesn't mean that there will be loads of foods that you can no longer eat, many people with a band continue to eat a variety of foods, simply smaller portions, but it isn't an easy option and takes a LOT of willpower and self control. While you're working to find restriction with your band, the hunger can be quite difficult to stick to the small portions that you're now supposed to be eating.

There are banders who do find that there are foods that they cannot tolerate with tighter restriction, things such as bread, rice, pasta, red meat - sometimes individual providers will actually state that these foods aren't to be eaten anyway, although some do allow them if you're able to tolerate them.

I'm just approaching an 11 stone loss, but after 14 fills with my band and still trying to find restriction it isn't easy. I can still eat what I want and in what amount IF I allow myself to. My band, as yet, has failed to take away my hunger. It is also now being investigated as its possibly leaking. However, my band has changed my life, simply by its placement, so I'm hoping that when we get it sorted, when we then find that restriction, it will help me on the final stretch of weight loss.

I would look into all of your options, all of the methods of surgery and what suits you in terms of your eating. A band is not a solution, it is only a tool to aid you in your weight loss, average losses 1-2lb a week and loads of willpower. But it can be a great tool!

It was important for me that I had a surgeon who was able to offer me a zero % mortality rate which is why I chose the provider and surgeon that I did. Having my fear of anaesthetic this was really important for me.

Good luck!

Back