• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Consultation booked - Beauty and the Gastric Band

J

Jonicorn

Hey everyone,

I have been on a number of forums and found that the support is very limited toward gastric band surgery. People seem to want to just talk you out of it rather than offer any advice or support so I'm hoping I am now in the right place?

I am 5ft tall and 15 stone 2 which believe it or not is not the heaviest I have ever been. I started reducing my portions and increasing my exercise in February and have lost 12lb so far and have now made the decision to pay privately for the band to be fitted. My final decision was when I was stood right next to a girl of the same height as me, around the same age, and I looked like a giant in comparison. I had been considering the band for some time but this was the deciding moment.

I wanted to log my progress on here and although my consultation is a week or so away, I thought it might be good to hear from people in a similar situation.

Maria61

Hey everyone,

I have been on a number of forums and found that the support is very limited toward gastric band surgery. People seem to want to just talk you out of it rather than offer any advice or support so I'm hoping I am now in the right place?

I am 5ft tall and 15 stone 2 which believe it or not is not the heaviest I have ever been. I started reducing my portions and increasing my exercise in February and have lost 12lb so far and have now made the decision to pay privately for the band to be fitted. My final decision was when I was stood right next to a girl of the same height as me, around the same age, and I looked like a giant in comparison. I had been considering the band for some time but this was the deciding moment.

I wanted to log my progress on here and although my consultation is a week or so away, I thought it might be good to hear from people in a similar situation.
Welcome and good luck xx

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Hello and welcome from another member in Coventry!

I'm also a previous bander but have had my sleeve now for almost two years.

I had my band in 2009 so any tips or advice, just shout up.

The band does get bad press and has fallen out of favour, particularly with the NHS but many private providers (as you've no doubt found out) are still offering it.

Have a read of some of the threads in the band section for an idea of what life post band could be like.

Good luck on your journey! x

Irene44

Hi Hun welcome lots of lovely friendly people on this forum. I’m new myself and found everyone to be really nice I’m sleeve or bypass next month xx

Emma1504

Welcome
For me WLS’s are all a tool to help us to loss weight it’s not a competition. If I can support give me a shout (although not had my surgery yet haha)

Bling Babe

Hey everyone,

Welcome to the forum I’m a bypass gal so can’t offer any advice but as Mazza said check out the bankers section, well done on the loss so far and the increase in excercise. Keep in touch we would love to follow your progress xx

J

Jonicorn

Hello and welcome from another member in Coventry!

I'm also a previous bander but have had my sleeve now for almost two years.

I had my band in 2009 so any tips or advice, just shout up.

The band does get bad press and has fallen out of favour, particularly with the NHS but many private providers (as you've no doubt found out) are still offering it.

Have a read of some of the threads in the band section for an idea of what life post band could be like.

Good luck on your journey! x

Thank you :)
Yeah, I'm not sure why people are so against the band when it can only assist in a healthier lifestyle.
As the days grow closer to the consultation date, I am getting quite nervous so god only knows how bad I will be for the operation. How did you handle the nerves?
What was the hardest thing to say goodbye to when you had the band? I've read that you should avoid bread at all costs? I think this will be my biggest struggle.

J

Jonicorn

Hi Hun welcome lots of lovely friendly people on this forum. I’m new myself and found everyone to be really nice I’m sleeve or bypass next month xx

Thank you. It does seem a lot more welcoming on here so that's a relief. Good Luck with your operation, do you have a preference between the sleeve or bypass?

J

Jonicorn

Welcome
For me WLS’s are all a tool to help us to loss weight it’s not a competition. If I can support give me a shout (although not had my surgery yet haha)
Thank you Emma. Do you have surgery in the pipe-line?

J

Jonicorn

Welcome to the forum I’m a bypass gal so can’t offer any advice but as Mazza said check out the bankers section, well done on the loss so far and the increase in excercise. Keep in touch we would love to follow your progress xx

Thank you. I will keep everyone updated on here. I know everyone's experience is likely to be different so I might be asking for advice quite a lot haha. xx

Irene44

Thank you. It does seem a lot more welcoming on here so that's a relief. Good Luck with your operation, do you have a preference between the sleeve or bypass?

It’s it a fab forum hun just keep posting x. Will make the decision once I’ve had scope done hun Xx

Emma1504

Thank you Emma. Do you have surgery in the pipe-line?

I am on the nhs route at the moment. The journey started August last year. Just have to keep jumping through the hoops they set & hopefully get there within a year. But will just have to keep on the waiting game.

J

Jonicorn

I am on the nhs route at the moment. The journey started August last year. Just have to keep jumping through the hoops they set & hopefully get there within a year. But will just have to keep on the waiting game.

You'll get there. I was given a referral through the NHS 4 years ago and heard nothing more of it. I chased them on it every time I went to the hospital and doctors but nothing came of it. My surgery is now booked for 16th July. 2 Weeks away. Ive started the liver reduction diet today on 3 slim fasts and 4 yogurts a day.

xx

Irene44

You'll get there. I was given a referral through the NHS 4 years ago and heard nothing more of it. I chased them on it every time I went to the hospital and doctors but nothing came of it. My surgery is now booked for 16th July. 2 Weeks away. Ive started the liver reduction diet today on 3 slim fasts and 4 yogurts a day.

xx

How exciting for you not looking no now xx

Irene44

Do you have a date for yours yet? I've just been reading your thread. Only on page 2 so far :p I'm completely relating too! lol
Also, you've reminded me to treat myself to some new PJ's for hospital haha.

Ah god love ya nowt much reading in mine hun xx I’m having a scope done Friday and should get my date then I’m hoping for this month Yes new Jammas is a must lol I got a size bigger for the wounds and the swelling xx

J

Jonicorn

Ah god love ya nowt much reading in mine hun xx I’m having a scope done Friday and should get my date then I’m hoping for this month Yes new Jammas is a must lol I got a size bigger for the wounds and the swelling xx

I think I might pop out tonight and get something. Apparently wearing a bra will be uncomfortable too so might get a top with support built in whilst I'm at it.
I went out and bought 3 shake bottles, a water bottle and tonnes of slim fast.

The slim fast is only £7.29 a pot in superdrug so I got one of each flavour.

I'm so hyped now.

Irene44

I think I might pop out tonight and get something. Apparently wearing a bra will be uncomfortable too so might get a top with support built in whilst I'm at it.
I went out and bought 3 shake bottles, a water bottle and tonnes of slim fast.

The slim fast is only £7.29 a pot in superdrug so I got one of each flavour.

I'm so hyped now.

Heehee exciting stuff I’ve bought some of the soft sports bras not going to suffer with the wired ones yes water water and then some more water lol Oh bargain with the slim fast and nice to have choice not so boring then I’m loving you enthusiasm and motivation it’s fabulous xxx