• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Conversion to By-Pass following sleeve.

Nearly there-1

Hi, I am two years post sleeve. It was problematic from day one and after a period of continuing weight loss because of an inability to eat I have been offered a by-pass to remedy this problem.
Has anyone else had a conversion to by-pass following issues leading to Gastroparesis ?
Was 100 kilos at the time of the operation and am now 48 kilos and still losing.
I have followed this forum for a long time but it's difficult when you have problems and don't follow the normal route. That said I have had loads of very useful information and have enjoyed hearing about others journys. I don't wish to put anyone waiting for their operation to be put off but would like to have some support from what I have seen is an amazing site, so supportive and sharing with information and kindness.

Hi. Sorry it didn't go well. I haven't noticed any specific sleeve to bypass revisions (have you tried a search on that topic?) but there are certainly band revisions - saw one earlier, so even though not the same, hopefully someone can offer some support from the perspective of their initial op. not going well. The rest of us I am sure will be happy to listen to how awful it has been so you feel less alone.

Hello, it sounds like you are having a rough time of it and I'm so sorry. I hope some can help x

Thank you for your replies, it's hard to talk about problems when everyone else is doing so well. I don't want to give others especially newbies nightmares. I am aware it's unusual to have problems after the sleeve, it is very safe and has very good outcomes.
Now that it has come to further surgery I feel a little apprehensive , although I have had numerous procedures to try to find out what's wrong. Nine Endoscopies to date and several journeys around my insides!!!

Thank you for your replies, it's hard to talk about problems when everyone else is doing so well. I don't want to give others especially newbies nightmares. I am aware it's unusual to have problems after the sleeve, it is very safe and has very good outcomes.
Now that it has come to further surgery I feel a little apprehensive , although I have had numerous procedures to try to find out what's wrong. Nine Endoscopies to date and several journeys around my insides!!!
I did a search on here on sleeve revisions and there are some, although not very recent - 2014 ish. As you say, it's unusual to have problems after the sleeve, but it is important that newbies know all the risks, so don't let that put you off asking for support. As I said in my earlier post, there are some other revisions posting on here. @Mazza

Yep you're absolutely OK talking about your experience, its meant to be supportive for everyone not just those who have had an easy ride to the operation theatre and after, dropped the weight as planned and skipped off happily into the sunset. Which is a good thing or no one would be posting ;)

Thanks. Everyone for your support. It's been a bit of a nightmare these past two years.
The By-pass will hopefully improve the problem. I feel a bit cheated hearing all your struggles and triumphs, I have never had to watch what I eat as nothing tastes good and don't feel hungry . I know I have to eat but because it's been such a long time since it was a pleasure able experience I find it difficult to motivate myself to care!!!
I dont weigh myself and have continued to lose weight, I only get weighed at the hospital so feel I missed out on the sense of achievement you rightly have.
I think I have to think of the operation as a new beginning and try to put the past problems behind me.
I have received lots of support from my team and as with a number of people undertaking this journey have had mental health problem in the past. The past two years have caused these to rear their ugly heads , as other have experienced. It's helpful to feel that others also have their struggles and the support on this forum is beyond price. I have not met anyone who has had weightloss surgery and because my experience has not been the norm have felt quite alone.
Thanks for making me feel accepted.

Thanks. Everyone for your support. It's been a bit of a nightmare these past two years.
The By-pass will hopefully improve the problem. I feel a bit cheated hearing all your struggles and triumphs, I have never had to watch what I eat as nothing tastes good and don't feel hungry . I know I have to eat but because it's been such a long time since it was a pleasure able experience I find it difficult to motivate myself to care!!!
I dont weigh myself and have continued to lose weight, I only get weighed at the hospital so feel I missed out on the sense of achievement you rightly have.
I think I have to think of the operation as a new beginning and try to put the past problems behind me.
I have received lots of support from my team and as with a number of people undertaking this journey have had mental health problem in the past. The past two years have caused these to rear their ugly heads , as other have experienced. It's helpful to feel that others also have their struggles and the support on this forum is beyond price. I have not met anyone who has had weightloss surgery and because my experience has not been the norm have felt quite alone.
Thanks for making me feel accepted.
You are not alone now :hugs:Has your team been offering you psychological support as well?

Yes my team gave me support with the team Pyschologist for nearly a year and I am now being supported by the local Mental Health Team. This support will be ongoing especially when I have the operation when both teams will be involved.
Thank you for your kind support I think I am going to need all the help I can get!!

I think it's right that you share the problems you've had. The sleeve mostly has minimal problems (for example, I love mine and its suited me and my lifestyle), but it's right that people researching the possibility know all the pitfalls etc.

You say you're currently 48 kilos which to me seems tiny, but I don't know your BMI or anything. Please share the issues you've had so everyone knows.

And finally, good luck with the change to bypass.

Hello there @Nearly there-1

I'm sorry to read you have been struggling, fellow mental health sufferer and converter here :hugs:

I've had a band to sleeve conversion, with a nine month gap inbetween but I'm pleased to say has worked really well.

Sorry to be asking questions rather than answering yours but I'm intrigued as to why they are considering converting you to a bypass, as in what are they hoping it will achieve?

We have had people convert from sleeve to bypass on here as the sleeve was perfromed at first as the first stage for very large patients, with the bypass being the second stage.

Anyway, whatever your circumstances you are always welcome to share them here xx

Bear: I started out at 100kilos at the time of my sleeve operation and have lost constistantly since and was 48 kilos three weeks ago. My bmi is 23 as I am 5 foot tall.
My diet is very limited as I have developed Gastroparesis and most of my stomach( what's left that is) does not empty properly so eating is not pleasant, I get full very quickly and suffer from nausea.
I have lost 129 per cent of my excess weight.

Mazza : a by-pass has been advised so that they can by-pass the part of my stomach that's not working properly with the hope it will halt the weight loss and enable me to get adaquate nutrician . I had a feeding tube for 18 months but did not tolerate it very well and I asked for it to be removed. It was agreed as it was having a big impact on my mental health. Unfortunately I am still unable to halt my weight loss.
I have been diagnosed and am being treated for PTSD following the many interventions I had to try and find out what was causing the problem.
I am now having support to deal with this. I also have suffered from severe depression and have managed up until this time, but as a fellow suffer knows it does not take a lot to fall into the black hole!!
Thank you for your support I really appreciate it and have seen on the forum how well the sleeve works with the ongoing hard work people and putting into their tool.

A colleague at work had his stomached removed due to cancer and was left in effect with a sleeve, that was 7 years ago and he now has the same issue. They believe it is nerve damage from where they staple the stomach and after time the stomach stops recognising the food is in there. Good luck, I have huge restriction and live mostly on porridge and other slop! I'm at a bmi of about 16-17 now so know what it's like when you crash all the way down. Good luck with the bypass!! Keep us posted x

Thanks Kar8858v I have followed your progress and at first thought I had a tiny sleeve but from the beginning even liquid refused to go down easily. A Fluroscopy showed the liquid filling a small area at the top of the sleeve then splashing back up as it did not run away quickly enough, that was with two sips!!
The belief is that damage occurred during the original operation causing the Gastroparesis, it's been a long two years as at first because if my previous mental health issues it was all in my head. I managed my mental health well before the many interventions so felt very upset it was thought to be my imagination.
My diet at the moment is very restricted so weight still going down and now the By-Pass is hopefully going to remedy the problem. I will keep the forum updated and appreciate the support from everyone. It's difficult to join in as I don't want to put people off when I know it's unusual for complications to occur. Thanks again

Sorry for the problems you've gone through, please keep us updated and thanks for sharing, it's important for people to know the risks - as demonstrated on these forums, each and everyone reacts differently. All the best with the conversion, hope it works out for you.

Kar8558 what are the plans for the future for your colleague will the similar problem to mine? Have they suggested anything to help with this problem ?
I have tried medication with no success and because of my low weight and continuing loss I think that surgery is not something to go into lightly. I know the surgeon is in a dilemma about his.
After my experiences I hoped never to go into hospital ever again!!

I havent seen him for an update but I will check in with him to find out, he was sticking to sliders as they went down to some degree, will update you if i get an answer back x

Back