• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Couch potato to 5K

maggy

Well, I've been hanging around this site for a while and randomly posting on threads I've enjoyed but never thought I had enough to say to start a thread of my own. Not sure if I have any more to say now but here goes anyway.

Today I did my first run! Ever!!

Well actually it was 6 minutes of running broken up by a lot of walking. I downloaded a couch to 5K app and started! Now, the app has some bugs. Hmmmm. Probably because I don't know how to use properly yet. I managed to turn the sound off at least three times. But I'm sticking with it as I was able to post to Facebook and I don't want to start with a new version. Facebook and this thread are here to keep me motivated. I figure if I tell people I know and others I know virtually then maybe I can motivate myself to keep it up!

The running wasn't as hard as I expected. Partly because I'd already done 6 minutes the night before. Running through the house in a figure of eight with the dog following me :bliss: I think if anyone had seen us they'd have been pulling out the little white jacket with the very long arms :8855:

I'm really hoping reverse the slide into poor eating that happened over xmas and New Year. Mostly emotional/stress eating. The sleeve takes good care of most of my other eating problems just not the emotional eating. Hmmmm. I knew that already.

I'm hoping the running will help. I'm looking forward to a runners high, though I'm a little dubious about its existence. And I'm also hoping that running will help me with those little indulgences! That said, I'm 50 years old, only just into the obese category, from having been morbidly obese for too many years, so I'm not even sure my body is capable of running. We'll see. I've promised my son and his girlfriend I'll do a 10K run with them in May. And my OH has promised to try too - he's also obese. And now I'm promising you on this site.

I survived the first 'run' and I'll be back in a couple of days to report the next one. If anyone is doing the same please join me!!!

los in it

Well done you!
Ive read about this and those who do it seem to really enjoy it ! It must be a great feeling been able to be active im more a walker and its getting better I hope to increase my walking as time goes by
good luck with your running

SHARONA

Well done Maggs its great isn't it! Makes you feel so much better! I went to gym for first time tonight! I cant run yet but im walking well fast on the treadmill on a slight incline then did bike then weight/ toning exercises! Im hoping as my weight reduces i will be able to use the cross trainer I'm unable to use it due to my doggy knee! But will give it a try soon! Im also terrible at co ordination! Tomorrow im missing gym and going for a long walk then back to gym Wednesday hopefully by the end of Jan i will be at least half a stone lighter! Ps it did make me titter about you running around the house with your dog following in tow lol . All the best hun x

Crystalrainbow

fanbloomingtastic hunni liking your first ever post and what a way to begin :) gl with the running amazing !!!!
keep us posted and keep the posts coming too..... a dairy would be amazing to document your progress x x x

Tules

Well done Maggy! I see you lost a lot in a short space of time. Running would help further and help you find up. Go girl!

maggy

Thanks girls!! Great to have your support!!

A few tight muscles this morning. My buns hurt! Who knew you used your glutes to run with?!?

Hitting the pavement tomorrow before work. Yikes!!

Crystalrainbow

You Superstar :) Buns??? what Chelsea buns LOL glutes too ooohhhh errr i didn't realise it was going to be technical too

WTG hunni am humbled x x x xx

Crystalrainbow

WTG Hunni you are a superstar..... i am humbled ..... Buns??? what chelsea buns lol and glutes...... who knew it would be so technical lol

all the best hunni :) keep it up your doing blooming fantastic x x x x

maggy

Thanks crystal! I nearly didn't do it this morning. But i logged on and saw your message and thought 'yes!' I can do this!!! So you got me Out there :0) Chelsea buns still sore ;0)

SHARONA

And i will be behind you Maggs off to gym around 3pm ! Did a ling walk last night so back to gym today! So wish i had a dog that could keep me company on my long walks in the dark. I did 7050 steps yesterday! Is that good not sure?? According to an app on my phone that i put on!

Crystalrainbow

Thanks crystal! I nearly didn't do it this morning. But i logged on and saw your message and thought 'yes!' I can do this!!! So you got me Out there :0) Chelsea buns still sore ;0)

Brilliant Mags :) glad i motivated you to get out there..... you are a superwoman for sure.... note to oneself i need to start lol
LOL at my echo too :rolleyes: i typed once and thought id lost it so you got double cheer on LOL

WTG hnni i admire you hugely keep on going hunni but dont push too hard x x x x x

just think how tiny then chelsea buns will be before long :)

Sharona your doing fab hunni..... gym and steps woohoooo keep it up gal..... now am feeling a tad bad, cheering from my bed lol a walk for sure today x x x x

maggy

Everything hurts! But in a good way :0) Might wait til Saturday to do the next session - give my muscles a little recovery time.

How was the gym Sharona?

slimsuz

Well done all for getting moving! I have just downloaded the c25k app to my phone, purchased a sports bra, sweats and dug out my trainers... Just trying to figure out a route and I'm gonna give it a go! Feeling apprehensive! My body has not run for as long as I can remember! X

maggy

WTG slimsuz!!! Tell us when you get out there. I'm just contemplating run number three. Waiting for the wind to die down a bit - would hate to be blown into the traffic! I live in a lovely part of rural North Somerset but am not running far enough to get anywhere interesting - just running in the main road out of the village. And anyway, I'm just too knackered to notice, lol. Though I was surprised on run number two just how much better I felt than in the first run.

Will post later - if I survive ;0)

maggy

OMG. I did it. But now sweating buckets. TMi?!? The great improvement today was having figured out how to get the music playing on the running app. Imelda May was bouncing along in my head. At one point I realised I was running in time to the music and couldn't keep up! That'll teach me. Lol. It was slightly easier to do the running sections again today but I'm not sure if I'm ready for week two. I might just do week one for another couple of runs. No one said the method was written in stone, so I figure If can tailor it to myself I'm more likely to keep it up.

Crystalrainbow

WTG Maggy.... you super star :) am still in awe ............... LOL at the music pace.... i think thats kinda the idea LOL i know when i go on puppy walks with music on we always get round quicker LOL i just help myself to keep up with the beat........ sweating buckets would suggest its working tho LOL just a nice long hot bath to calm down those bun ........you must bee feeling like a million dollars :) Do what feels right hunni, even if you have to repeat days/weeks its about taking part and enjoying it and sounds like your doing both..........when i becomes impossible or a chore is when we give up!!!

Way i see it you've earned a well deserved rest now x x x x x x xx

GL suz :) wooohoooo another one braves the streets gl hunni ....... Maggy not only a super star but motivational inspiration too :)

Maggy! I just did Day 1 and am feeling really pleased with myself! Was definitely slower at the end than I was at the beginning but I did it!

maggy

Yay Pippa!!!!! You're a star!!!! That's just brilliant. We're athletes :0)

I didn't get out today because when I could get out it was pelting down with rain :0( Aiming to get out tomorrow morning. Bizarrely, I'm looking forward to it :0)