• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Couch potato to 5K

I'm still losing but quite slowly (3kg in a month). Have been given no guidance on calorie intake only protein (50-60g a day). Am using 1000 calories a day as a guide as am functioning quite well on it and am not eating any calories earned from exercise. My main difficulty is with the 30 minutes between eating and drinking.

Maggie. I'm a firm believer that not all calories are created equal. I low carb.. Extremely low under 50 most days and that includes my leafy green veg etc. Works for me though not as fast as I would like lol. When I counted calories I stuck to 1000 a day, but when I count carbs my fat intake is higher, good fats, olive oil, cheese, advacados, nuts etc so around 1200 or 1300 but I have better weight loss

Pick something and stick to it. It's too exhausting chopping and changing and fretting. All plans work if we stick to them

Each day I have a lemon 3% fat liberte yoghurt....I don't eat the lemon jam type stuff at the bottom 14 carb
I have an Aitkins bar or two at 2 to 3 carbs each
The rest of my diet is fish, green salad, with advocado, a couple of slice of crispy bacon, red onion chopped and a crumble of feta cheese - or some other protein source I.e chicken with a cup of broccoli and cauliflower...low carb veg

All your animal products have virtually no carbs.

I often go out for breakfast at the weekend and have scrambled egg and a couple of slices of bacon....I am stuffed all day as the protein combined with low carbs staves off any hunger

If your counting g carbs the lowest carb veg is all green stuff, no starches like carrot or turnip or potato. So leeks, celery, broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower are all good. I don't do fruit other than berries. All other fruit is too high in carbs for me

I make a pot of soup with cabbage tomatoes or onion which is low calorie and low carb to snack on if I get in the notion for a wee munch

I also make soup from a chicken, with leek broccoli and cauliflower. Very low carb. I put loads of chicken in its yummy.

I very rarely eat packaged or processed food as it is usually full or carbs...and exception to this is cold meats and Mathiesons smoked pork sausage in the pack...I have that with stir fry or cabbage, it's yummy too

Hope this helps you make so e choices, not necessarily my choices. A lot of people find low carbing too restrictive. No room for a wee biscuit etc or chocolate, crisps. But you can eat a small amount of peanuts and wine in moderation....and I use the yoghurt and Atkins bars as my treats

I'm still losing but quite slowly (3kg in a month). Have been given no guidance on calorie intake only protein (50-60g a day). Am using 1000 calories a day as a guide as am functioning quite well on it and am not eating any calories earned from exercise. My main difficulty is with the 30 minutes between eating and drinking.

Thanks Pippa! 3kg sounds pretty good over the Christmas period. My loss over the last month has only been 1.7kg, it was 3.2kg the previous month and 9kg in the month prior to that. I think I just need to suck it up and get back on the wagon! Must admit I'm not sticking to the no drinking with food rule. Maybe I should revisit that too.

Are you sore today after your two runs? I'm going to head out this afternoon for number 6 :0)

Maggie. I'm a firm believer that not all calories are created equal. I low carb.. Extremely low under 50 most days and that includes my leafy green veg etc. Works for me though not as fast as I would like lol. When I counted calories I stuck to 1000 a day, but when I count carbs my fat intake is higher, good fats, olive oil, cheese, advacados, nuts etc so around 1200 or 1300 but I have better weight loss

Pick something and stick to it. It's too exhausting chopping and changing and fretting. All plans work if we stick to them

Each day I have a lemon 3% fat liberte yoghurt....I don't eat the lemon jam type stuff at the bottom 14 carb
I have an Aitkins bar or two at 2 to 3 carbs each
The rest of my diet is fish, green salad, with advocado, a couple of slice of crispy bacon, red onion chopped and a crumble of feta cheese - or some other protein source I.e chicken with a cup of broccoli and cauliflower...low carb veg

All your animal products have virtually no carbs.

I often go out for breakfast at the weekend and have scrambled egg and a couple of slices of bacon....I am stuffed all day as the protein combined with low carbs staves off any hunger

If your counting g carbs the lowest carb veg is all green stuff, no starches like carrot or turnip or potato. So leeks, celery, broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower are all good. I don't do fruit other than berries. All other fruit is too high in carbs for me

I make a pot of soup with cabbage tomatoes or onion which is low calorie and low carb to snack on if I get in the notion for a wee munch

I also make soup from a chicken, with leek broccoli and cauliflower. Very low carb. I put loads of chicken in its yummy.

I very rarely eat packaged or processed food as it is usually full or carbs...and exception to this is cold meats and Mathiesons smoked pork sausage in the pack...I have that with stir fry or cabbage, it's yummy too

Hope this helps you make so e choices, not necessarily my choices. A lot of people find low carbing too restrictive. No room for a wee biscuit etc or chocolate, crisps. But you can eat a small amount of peanuts and wine in moderation....and I use the yoghurt and Atkins bars as my treats

Thanks for taking the time to write all this!!! I think you're right. Choose something and stick to it. I suspect my 1200 cals were just a bit too generous, unless as you say it's because of good oils added. The fats should help with skin and hair too - I hope. In the past I've found the low carb lifestyle the most helpful too, though only when I've also been exercising a lot - I used to be a powerlifter so did ridiculous amounts of weight training. The only 'diet' that worked was calorie counting and keeping a food diary but that doesn't really suit my personality. I'm not really a good details person. Big picture, few rules! I looked over the food diary I've been keeping for the past few days and realised I've not been doing any good on the calories or the carbs! I need to refocus. Wish me luck! I'm off to make up some chicken soup :0)

Good luck,Maggy, with getting back on track. My aim for this surgery was to eat like a normal person but much less of it. I think Kirsty is right about the carbs though I do really miss them but if you focus on protein the carbs are reduced anyway. I track it all on my fitness pal and it tots up the protein as I go along. Didn't run today as I thought my knees might not forgive me if I did it 3 days in a row (and I have Zumba tonight). Trouble is i don't know when I get another chance before the weekend

Im off to the gym first session of the week i will pushing my self further with cross trainer esp today as my dodgy knee gets stronger! Im hoping it leaves me feeling totally refreshed and better with my self ... Any one know whats a great number of steps for the day?? Love those liberte lemon yoghurts Kirsty - the yellow juice i do pinch a bit thou! Lol x

Good luck,Maggy, with getting back on track. My aim for this surgery was to eat like a normal person but much less of it. I think Kirsty is right about the carbs though I do really miss them but if you focus on protein the carbs are reduced anyway. I track it all on my fitness pal and it tots up the protein as I go along. Didn't run today as I thought my knees might not forgive me if I did it 3 days in a row (and I have Zumba tonight). Trouble is i don't know when I get another chance before the weekend

Yeah, I wanted to eat normally but just less. But I don't think thats gonna work. I've gone low carb high protein today and it's going well. Let's see what the scale fairies being this week.

Good job you didn't run today. I think three days in a row might be pushing it. Especially as you're doing Zumba! Even if you only do weekends in running it's got to make a difference. :0)

Met up with my sister in law from Arizona today for lunch. We are starting a plank challenge tomorrow. She is going to send me details. First couple of days are for 15 seconds. It's all the rage incident the USA

How's it going pippa? Did you get in anymore runs this week? Or are you like me and working too much for exercise. How nuts is that? You know, I did manage one run. Yesterday morning in the freezing cold. And you know why? I was doing early morning emails on a project that has a tight deadline - we've all been working silly hours - and skinny cow says "I'll be back in an hour after my run". Well, my pea size brain kicks in and thinks two can play that game, so I hit reply saying "lol. me and the dog too. Isn't it a beautiful sunrise" What an idiot! Lol. Beautiful sunrise my arse! It was friggin freezin. But dog and I duly pounded the pavement along the shore. And TBH it really was a beautiful sunrise :0)

Brilliant Maggy! Didn't run Monday cos I'd done Saturday and Sunday as you know. Zumbaed Monday and Wednesday and did week 2 day 1 while my oh did park run. Really enjoyed it so am planning to do day 2 tomorrow. 3 times a week seems a little impossible at the moment. The best news is that I lost 4 and a half pounds this week. It's the best loss I've had since the preop diet.

Brilliant Maggy! Didn't run Monday cos I'd done Saturday and Sunday as you know. Zumbaed Monday and Wednesday and did week 2 day 1 while my oh did park run. Really enjoyed it so am planning to do day 2 tomorrow. 3 times a week seems a little impossible at the moment. The best news is that I lost 4 and a half pounds this week. It's the best loss I've had since the preop diet.
Woo hoo. That's brilliant weight loss Pippa! It's all working! Agreed re 3 days a week being a bit much. And I don't do Zumba! Tho I'm trying to persuade the oh to come dancing with me. I'll keep working on him ;0). I'll do the week 3 day 2 run tomorrow at the gym. I think I'll leave the great outdoors for a warmer month. Brrrrr.

wtg girls your doing blooming amazing ..not sure where your finding the energy or courage lol BUT hell wtg hats off the weight will be falling off at this rate :)

Maggy where abouts are you?? running along the shoreline :) where ever it sound blooming marvellous x x x x x

North Somerset - not the greatest beaches in the world as were a good way up the estuary but beautiful coasts even so.

Did another run just now in the gym. Hubby and I both went. In fact if he hadn't been going I don't think I'd have done it. He's also trying to lose weight and get fitter. Run number 8 done now. And my Chelsea buns are screaming! ;0)

Fantastic hubby's joining you too.... my hub said today he's got to give up the biscuits and wants to loose a stone..... LOL prep for his beach body LMAO bless em :)

OOhhh not far up the country then ...... any shore line is beautiful.....we are so lucky... makes the trips out much more enjoyable ........ rest those old buns now !! its sunday lol feet up and enjoy x x x

Back