• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Could his journey get any worse?

Linski

OMG why did I ever start this WLS journey?

I have just read the changes to Walsall Manor's system and the PCT changes by Tranquil and basically my dreams are in tatters. I am heart broken I cant stop crying.

Even though my BMI is almost 52 and despite the problem with my leg and trying every diet and tablet going for 30 years I no longer meet the PCT guidlines and wont get funding. I need a co-morbility or diabetes to qualify.

I am really distressed and wish I had never started this journey. The whole bloody system at Walsall is a joke. If they can't cope then other hospitals need to take on this surgery and get more trained!!!!!

I wake in the night and its the first thing I think of and it has dominated my life for the last year really. Not stress, just the sheer excitment that one day I may be a normal size and feel normal. I regret so much not being brave enough to ask for this op years ago as I have wasted so many years being dominated by my weight and everything negative that comes with it.

God knows where I go from here, its all too much. Sometimes it better not to be in the know, I can't tell you how upset I am and I feel selfish.

Lin xx:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Lin

Reactions: Bev

keeley86

have you considered going private with 0% finance? i know its no consolation to how you are feeling right now and by the sounds of things you have got one heck of a wait to even come close to getting funding! the system is ****! maybe once this new plan of new surgeons and that take shape then it will get a little easier but like tranquil says if it does it will be years before that happens so your only chance now is seeing if you can fund it yourself! i remember someone saying they saw a poster in the hospital about 0% finance, so maybe you could have it and pay monthly!
dont give up hun fight fight fight! you need this surgery and you deserve this surgery - im sorry that wallsall is in a mess at the moment but your not the only one in this situation...... people that have got comobidities and are needing this surgery more than you are because of serious health issues are also in this same situation!
chin up hun - you will get there eventually! big hugs xx

Linski

The repayments are almost £700 per month. I know others are in the same position and unfortunatley and maybe selfishly that doesn't ease how I am feeling today about my op.
I am always really pleased when others get dates and sincerley hope everyone gets funding and surgery on this forum and beyond.

Lin x

tranquil_butterfly

I am sorry my post has caused you so much distress. I did ponder long and hard before posting but I thought it was right to let people know what was happening. Have you spoken to the PCT about the funding situation or is it the delay you are concerned about?

Best wishes

tranquil

Bev

Lin I am hoping that you can find a way forward, it is an awful situation, have you managed to find anyone else in the same place as you? I am very sorry to hear of your troubles.

Sending a load of love and a huge hug xxx

tesmaralda

Tranquil you did the right thing in posting what happened as Wm are so poor at telling us the truth.

Linski I really don't know what to say to you and others that are waiting. Hopefully they will sort themselves out.

I know from personal experience Heatlands are no better. My husband was referred to them from good hope back in April, he received 2 leeters on Tuesday one saying he failed to turn up for his diabetic appointment on 20th September and one for weight loss clinic on 20th December. He was never referred to the diabetes clinic at heartlands. When he phoned to query this he meet with a very sharp and frosty woman who told him basically he was lying and to speak to his gp.

The whole system in the uk is wrong and needs to be addressed as people are left in limbo and have to put their lives on hold.

BlueDiamond

Hello x

Can I ask where abouts you was on your journey . (on waiting list?etc) because surely if you are already on the waiting list then surely they cannot change the criteria because everyone would be in uproar esp those that have waited several months (or longer)

I think it will only be a matter of time till all providers(nhs) follow suit because the need for Wls is in such high demand now and that is why some pct's changed their criteria because too many ppl fitted in the criteria and it made the pathway for many of them to have wls and in changing the criteria has probably knocked a whole lotta wad of people off their waiting lists and got the time waiting list down(maybe this is their aim) because so many ppl will not qualifiy for wls surgery now, perhaps this could be a short term measure to get the waiting lists down and bring some order to the chaos that has been created at some pct's, it does fustrate me when ppl get turned down and some ppl dont stick to the rules and abuse their procedure. I am sorry things have not worked out for you and hopefully in time things will work out.

All the best - MeJulie xx

keeley86

£700 a month????? no one can afford that can they! thats ridiculous! hope your feeling better today! i cant imagine how your feeling xxxx

Big an Bouncy

Lin do they say which co morbs they recognise?you could well have something that you havent mentioned to them.I have borderline diabetes,back,hip pain,prolapsed bladder, depression,high colesterol and highish blood pressure.My bmi was 47 last time I went to wmc.Maz

Emma Louise

Oh hun im so sorry - maybe go back to your doctor and talk to them about what you can do next?
Maybe you could have a full and frnak discussion with your bank and see if the repayments could be any cheaper? The repayments for my op are about £250 a month so maybe you could ask for it to be reduced as £700 seems so high! If you paid 700 per month you would have paid the loan back in just over a year (if the op cost about £10,000) so maybe you could ask to pay it over 4 years or something. Its just a suggestion.
xxxxxxxxx

Linski

Oh hun im so sorry - maybe go back to your doctor and talk to them about what you can do next?
Maybe you could have a full and frnak discussion with your bank and see if the repayments could be any cheaper? The repayments for my op are about £250 a month so maybe you could ask for it to be reduced as £700 seems so high! If you paid 700 per month you would have paid the loan back in just over a year (if the op cost about £10,000) so maybe you could ask to pay it over 4 years or something. Its just a suggestion.
xxxxxxxxx
Hi Emma,

I am awaiting a claim for an accident I had to be settled so push comes to shove I will use that but not sure when that will be settled. I have aslo ask my solicitor to ask them to pay for my bypass as my weight is making my leg worse and mobility is becoming a problem. i have gained almost 3 stone since the accident so I will wait and see what happens. Thanks for your kindness.
lin xx

tinkerboom

omgggggg no way i feel so upset for you, my gp has sent my referal OFF today for walsall manor hospital so if thats the case my referal will surely be returned back to my gp wont it?????? absolutely gutted x

Linski

Lin do they say which co morbs they recognise?you could well have something that you havent mentioned to them.I have borderline diabetes,back,hip pain,prolapsed bladder, depression,high colesterol and highish blood pressure.My bmi was 47 last time I went to wmc.Maz

Hi Maz, Too be honest I have never been tested fro anyhing and as I fall asleep at my desk (yes really) and I do wake with the most gynormous breath around a dozen times a night I could well have sleep apnea. The doctor I saw did put this on my record and when I think back now I Vaguely remember seeing sleep tests and pyshcologist on my notes when I handed them in at the desk. i have not heard anything though and am expecting a letter in November but the communication is rubbish from Wm. I also have arthirits in my knee and a severely painful ankle and foot post accident. I have never been tested for diabetes bought was going to see my doctor as if I have a wound of any sort it takes weeks and weeks to heal and I drink an enormous amount of fluid as I am always thirsty. I have been reluctant to ask the doctor for a test as soemone said you lose weight quickly when you have diabetes and I have gained weight. I also have thyroid problem which is difficult to control and I had my thyroid removed and was not put on thyroxine for a while and weight just piled on and I was really ill. I also suffer depression and periodic hypertension.

Now I have written this all down I feel stupidly a little relieved as some of this may help my funding do you think?

Thanks for you time - take care

Linski xxx

Linski

omgggggg no way i feel so upset for you, my gp has sent my referal OFF today for walsall manor hospital so if thats the case my referal will surely be returned back to my gp wont it?????? absolutely gutted x

Tinkerboom, I have no idea really but I sincerely hope not. I think you will just have to sit tight and wait to hear, The communication is crap so you may need to ring them in around a month. They lost my referral so definatley chase it up.

Good luck hunny.

LIN XX

Linski

Hello x

Can I ask where abouts you was on your journey . (on waiting list?etc) because surely if you are already on the waiting list then surely they cannot change the criteria because everyone would be in uproar esp those that have waited several months (or longer)

I think it will only be a matter of time till all providers(nhs) follow suit because the need for Wls is in such high demand now and that is why some pct's changed their criteria because too many ppl fitted in the criteria and it made the pathway for many of them to have wls and in changing the criteria has probably knocked a whole lotta wad of people off their waiting lists and got the time waiting list down(maybe this is their aim) because so many ppl will not qualifiy for wls surgery now, perhaps this could be a short term measure to get the waiting lists down and bring some order to the chaos that has been created at some pct's, it does fustrate me when ppl get turned down and some ppl dont stick to the rules and abuse their procedure. I am sorry things have not worked out for you and hopefully in time things will work out.

All the best - MeJulie xx

Hi Julie, i have just had one appointment where it was agreed a bypass was the best option and they said I would need to see the pyshcologist then funding would be applied for. I am still waiting to hear when my next appointment will be. My GP surgery chased as I hadn't heard anything and was told I am on the spreadsheet due to hear November time.

LIN XXX

Linski

I am sorry my post has caused you so much distress. I did ponder long and hard before posting but I thought it was right to let people know what was happening. Have you spoken to the PCT about the funding situation or is it the delay you are concerned about?

Best wishes

tranquil

Hi Tranquil,

Please dont feel you need to apologise for posting this information. I like so many at WM have been desperate to know the truth and I appreciate enormously the fact you included all of us waiting in your fight for justice.

I have re-focused and have realised I could well have sleep apnea etc as I have explained in depth in another post.

I also have a compensation claim going through (They have admitted liability) for an accident when a huge counter fell on my legs. I have approachedmy solicitor to see if they will fund my bypass as part of the settlement. I have gained almost 3 stone since the accident due to mobility issues and deteriorating weekly due to increased pain in my knee, ankle, hip and foot. My surgeon has said to lose weight will help my condition and future deterioration enormously.
So perhaps ther is a little hope. Push come to shove I will settle my claim early and take the money and pay for this operation myself. I simply can not go on like this.

Take care Tranquil

Kindest reagards

Lin xxx

Big an Bouncy

See Lin when you really look at your health and put everything down on paper,it makes a better case.and as someone said type II diabetes is weight related.I dont know anyone who has lost weight and been diabetic.You really have to picture the worse day you have had pain/depression wise.I had even contemplated topping myself I became so obsessed with my weight.Glad you can see a bit of light at the end of that long tunnel called weight loss surgery!!!;)

gaelic girl

Loving Being a Loser
Lin my heart goes out to you. I was never going to get funding as i didn't meet the criteria and i too think the whole system needs re vamped and re considered as Terri says this is people's lives they are dealing with. Shop around Lin this is a "buyers" market and hopefully there may be some decent deals to be made out there. Sending you huge hugs full of support and good luck xx

BlueDiamond

Hello me again, I suffer with arthritis (both legs) and my surgeon stated that it counted as a comorbidity..........Just thought I would let u know hun xx