• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Could this be good news for all of us?

thats good news for some people for sure :D

I hope so - it may help a lot of people out there who can have a GP who has known them along time and knows their medical history. Lets keep our fingers crossed xx

One def very positive thing about this is the life saving treatment and drugs that some pct`s deem to expensive will mean that patients can now change doc`s and register within a pct that does prescribe the meds like certain cancer meds x

This don't make sense...(but I might be a bit thick)...so does this mean I can register with a doctor in Manchester while I live in London?...I already can register with any GP practice I want within my own borough.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong!

(((hugs)))

its a good idea in principle, but when watching the news this morning, I understood that it had to be another practice within the same PCT where you live - unless I have got the wrong end of the stick..

Otherwise, as others have pointed out, it would be beneficial for patients to register in an area that is "generous" with its funding to avoid the postcode lottery.

Whilst this seem's like a good idea underneath, I think long term this will only spell trouble....If u have a senario where by a patient who is already under a dr at a practise and someone from outside the borough/town joins the practise and the patient within gets rebuffed and the one from the outside gets treatment , surely this will only spell trouble.

I know ppl should all be treated equally but this day and age it isnt the case, there are things to consider, gender, race, finanical background etc the list probably would go on and on. I know it shouldnt be this way each person should be merited on there own achievements etc, but not everyone thinks in black and white like I do and despite what some ppl think, ppl do get treated differently because of certain statuses.

Didnt mean to sound negative, but put yourself in that postion ,and how would u feel if this happened to you, and yet its your home town.

All the best - MeJulie xx

its a good idea in principle, but when watching the news this morning, I understood that it had to be another practice within the same PCT where you live - unless I have got the wrong end of the stick..

Otherwise, as others have pointed out, it would be beneficial for patients to register in an area that is "generous" with its funding to avoid the postcode lottery.

This is what I mean...My PCT covers a huge area...it could never cope...surgeries couldn't cope...besides I'm sure a lot of surgeries would find their books closed.

Another thought crossed my mind...the elderly and the infirm, if new to an area, they could find there is "no room at the inn" because of this ludicrous idea.

Even though it could benefit me, no it's not my idea of fairness at all.

(((hugs)))

While it all sounds very good, I think it's a ludicrous idea and completely unworkable! Who is going to fund the extra costs when everyone clambers to a popular PCT to request very expensive life-saving drugs and surgery?

Typical of this damned government, never think before they speak/act!!!

I would imagine that you will still have to live in the PCT where your doctor is based, otherwise it will be chaos - for example Surrey follows NICE guidelines for wls, and I understand that Sussex and Hampshire do not, and as a Surrey resident (not that I would want to deny anyone treatment for a moment) I would be a bit miffed (to put it slightly) if someone living in say Southampton got treatment paid for by my PCT and I got refused as there was no money left!

I am happy though as it means I can stay with my GP who I have been with for years and who knows me well. I live within a few miles of her (in the same PCT) but there is now a GP in between since I moved.

BTW - reading the surgical streamline website they are now linked to a GP practice in Harrow and unless I misunderstood it, they say that if you don't get anywhere with your GP you can go and see them to get your wls journey moving that way... Can someone confirm this - might be a help to some. What I couldn't work out was if they meant NHS or self-funding) but the latter wouldn't make much sense.

This don't make sense...(but I might be a bit thick)...so does this mean I can register with a doctor in Manchester while I live in London?...I already can register with any GP practice I want within my own borough.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong!

(((hugs)))

You can't register with whoever you want to in this borough. You have to register with the doctor that is nearest to your address. Ours is a large practice and I was refused by all twelve doctors there before my neurologist wrote to them and demanded I got a referal.

I also had words with my sons doctor (which is just down the road from mine) who told me point blank that he would never refer any of his patients for weight loss surgery. My best friends doctor has been almost begging her to consider having it done and been extremely supportive in her weight loss efforts. Her doctor is about three miles away from me, so you see this new system could work.

I think one of two things will happen with this, either all of England will have to conform to NICE guidelines thus ending the postcode lottery (well, we can dream!) or the most likely solution is that whilst someone in say Sussex sees a GP in Surrey to get wls, the GP still has to apply to Sussex PCT not Surrey PCt - so at the end of the day it will be still be based on postcode (of patient, not GP) and giving the GP's far more work to do in admin and paperwork. Be nice for people to be able to see the GP they want to see though...

Back