• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

CPAP NIGHTMARE

genevive57

hi guys,
last night was the 'maiden voyage' into restful sleep using CPAP.
because i don't sleep brilliantly i usually don't hit the sack much before 1 or 2 a.m. but last night i thought i would go to bed at the same time as my hubby around 11 p.m. to make sure i was plugged in and masked up properly.
since a bad trip to the school dentist many years ago i have a fear of rubber masks/gas and dr.who and the daleks [don't ask!!] so, last night i was determined to be a brave little girl and i put the mask on and tried to remain calm. i wasn't particularly tired so i tried to think of nice thoughts - the usual desert island stuff, white sand and turqoise sea etc., and somehow i must have drifted off to sleep.
at 2.59 a.m. [i checked my clock] i woke up in a blind panic. i thought i was drowning, i was coughing and spluttering and my mouth had totally dried up. i ripped the mask off and just couldn't bring myself to put it back on again. my hubby was trying to encourage me to put the mask back on but at 3 o'clock in the mornin i deemed him to be a patronising little **** who didn't understand anything. i spotted my nail scissors on the dressing table and i fleetingly thought of silencing him but then i remembered i had just changed the sheets the day before and i didn't fancy doing that again this week ha ha. but seriously, i was in a hell of a state with myself. i know i was being petulant and that i really should'ave put the mask back on but - i didn't!!
so, this morning i've had another stern talking to from his lordship and i do feel like i'm a stupid failure and i'm dreading going to bed again tonight.
did anyone else have a bad first night? does it get better?
once again any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. thank you.:wave_cry::wave_cry::eek::eek::sigh::sigh::(:(:confused::confused::cry::cry:

Oh bless u honey, if u go back to the hosp, they can give u a nasal mask. Bless your hubby hahaha :8855: you do make me laugh :D xxx

from me phone :D

When I got mine , I wear a nasal mask , the nurse told me I might only tolerate it for a couple of hrs the first night , but to gradually build it up . As it was I had it on all night & felt fantastic the next day .
As you have a phobia it won't ne easy , but if you can try s bit extra each night you might be able to get used to it .
Good luck xx

You did very well to go 4 hours on your first maiden voyage!! This has happened to me about 4 times since starting CPAP in September - as you say just that sudden waking in blind panic as it feels as not only can you not talk, see or swallow you can't breath either - very horrible. The only thing I can associate it with is when I have been on my back rather than side. Good luck for tonight - perhaps you should set your alarm and just build up by an hour a night?

I have had my mask for nearly 4 years now and was fine to start with and then all of a sudden 3 months ago (changed some meds) i didn't want to wear it at all. I now fall asleep and when I 'wake' myself up I then put it on, usually only an hour after I went to bed so have it on for a good while.

Like Caren said if you are having problems go back to the hospital and they can change the mask that you wear. I have seen about 6 different types of masks in the times I have been going backwards and forwards to Papworth so there is one out there for everyone.

Hope you find it easier soon

Emma xx

Hi

Don't worry too much about the dry mouth, it quite common, some people add a humidifier to, you will have to see your CPAP team for one.

Paul

hi guys,
once again you have come up trumps with support and good advice - THANK YOU ALL.
i did ring the hosp and speak to the respiratory nurse this afternoon and she said not to worry too much but just to keep trying every night and just see how i cope until i see her again next tuesday. i asked if a nose thingy might be better and she said that as i breathe a lot through my mouth this wouldn't help.
i actually felt sleepy at about 3 p.m. this afternoon so i was very brave and put the CPAP machine one whilst i sat in my recliner chair while i had a snooze. as soon as i did this i suddenly became wide awake!! wether this was out of sheer panic when i put the mask on i don't know but i certainly wasn't relaxed. i persevered and kept it on for about half an hour even though i didn't go to sleep.
i've given myself another good talking to and i will try again tonight. wish me luck and - watch this space xx

i too have suffered like you . i have tried every mask going and i still cant sleep with it on. i have a worse nights sleep when i use the machine than i do normally. i am really struggling with mine. makes it harder when the hubby cant sleep because of the machine but im sure we will get their...good luck.

i was really lucky, i got on well with mine from the first night! Good luck mate xxx

I think I was so sleep deprived that it honestly wouldn't have mattered. As it was I have averaged around 7 hours a night - sleep about 6 on the weekdays and more on the weekends. Keep trying different masks. Also look up mask liners on ebay - some people swear by them. Also there is a hybrid mask that covers mouth and has nasal pillows but isn't full face. It is suitable for mouth breathers.

I can sympathise as I too am a recent subscriber to CPAP due to sleep apnoea.

When I first went in January I was given a full face mask and told that, to start with, I would probably only tolerate it for 2-3 hours a night but not to worry about the time each night at first. As the weeks have progressed I have been able to increase how long I spend with it on at night until this last week I've been averaging 6-7 hours a night!!

When I went back yesterday I was given a nose mask after the technician downloaded the data from the machine - I didn't think I would be able to have a nose mask as I'm a big snorer and mouth breather. I have been told to try with it but, if I'm not getting on with it I can go back to the full face mask even in the middle of the night.

The data showed it is working for me as I'm having fewer apnoeas since I started using it - though there is still room for improvement and further reduction in episodes of apnoea!

I realise I don't have the issues you have with masks etc but thought you would find it helpful to get reports of experiences from others who are using CPAP.

I would definitely ask them about humidification if you are struggling with the dry mouth.

Tatiana

Back