• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Croydon Pct

Suga plum

Hello everyone
Hope your all well

Lets get to business lol.

Ok so... Im currently on Orlistat but I've noticed my BMI is 50 or very very close to it. So I'm going to the doctor to ask him to refer. I have read the PCT guidelines and if you have a BMI of 50 or above you can automatically refered. I just wondered has anybody else done this? What happens from there? Do you attend weight loss management classes for 6 months before you can go any further?
As much information as possible abt the Croydon Pct funding criteria will be greatly appreciate Many Thanks x

I'm in carsahlton, gp in wallington, my bmi was over 50, I went to gp in march 2011, got referred to st George's , and come may I went to a seminar there and was told that we were there as we had funding, had op last August . I think a few from Croydon are on here and sure they will be a long shortly

No, no weight management. I think it depends on pcts/hospitals they all do things differently. Good luck on your journey x

Hi Suga plum, i went to see my GP who also mentioned that she will have to apply for nhs funding to the croydon PCT before she can refer me for wls. i just wanted to find out how long you had to wait and how far have you gone.

my bmi is about 50 and i was on orlistat so i got my gp to refer me on the 18th of april and i got a call like 20 mins later from referal managment asking which hospital i wanted to use i picked kings college they said they would send my appointment in the post so i waited and it came on i think it was the 29th of april and my appointment is with the surgon on the 3rd of june im so excited cant wait

Hi bblove,

that was amazing and very quick, has funding been authorised yet for you or are you still waiting? as for me am still waiting from my GP in regards to making the referral and am very anxious of the whole process

Im not sure where i stand in terms of funding
But the gp will give you the run around if you let them my referal was ment to be sent the week before but some how it wasnt so i called my gp every day to see what was going on in the end i had to book an app with my doctor to ask them whats going on face to face and i got a call on my way home
You have to just do your research and be no nonsence with them

I will definitely follow this up on Monday and i will let you know how far i have gone with it. thanks bblove

Hi hun, Croydon PCT here too.

It's very confusing, because what St George's and Croydon don't act on the same guidelines!

Croydon will refer you if your BMI is over 40 (the NICE guidelines), but St George's will only accept a direct referral if your BMI is over 50.

So, if you were under 50 BMI , your GP would have to apply to the PCT first to approve the funding, and once the PCT says yes, then and only then can it go to St G.

St G. only changed this quite recently, so my GP kept on referring me to them, and they kept on writing back to GP saying he had to go through PCT first, and my GP didn't pay attention and referred me back to St G, who then wrote back... etc, etc... the GP said "ok, but to help your chances, you'll have to see the dietician first", so I queued for dietician appointment, which was pointless, but at least she didn't sabotage me for the referral, and then I waited, and waited, whilst my blood pressure was climbing, my health was declining, and the NHS was getting sold to private providers piece by piece, eventually, I realised that I'd die of diabetes or a stroke whilst still waiting for the PCT to say no (I'm not classed as critical as my BMI is just below 40! despite my other health issues, in particular my crumbling spine), so forked out £3k to get it done in France, which is in just over 2 weeks, whilst still waiting for my GP or the PCT to reply! :rolleyes:

Hi Bookie,
the first time i went to see my GP about making a referral for wls the GP was not sure what to do though promised to discuss it with her colleagues. in regards to my BMI its over 50 but she didnt refer me directly she had to refer me to croydon PCT. spoke to her today says to give it a couple of weeks for a response. its very confusing how this works. Will keep you updated.

Hi Bookie,
the first time i went to see my GP about making a referral for wls the GP was not sure what to do though promised to discuss it with her colleagues. in regards to my BMI its over 50 but she didnt refer me directly she had to refer me to croydon PCT. spoke to her today says to give it a couple of weeks for a response. its very confusing how this works. Will keep you updated.

I suppose they probably changed the rules again in a matter of months then... Not surprising when their budgets are being cut to the bone. :sigh:

I suppose they probably changed the rules again in a matter of months then... Not surprising when their budgets are being cut to the bone. :sigh:

Hi Bookie,

its very disheartening however we have to keep positive. will let you know of any updates.

referals are now done nationally not locally as far as i know it came into affect on first on april if that helps

Hi Moomoo1,

thanks for that will give it a couple of weeks and if i dont hear anything will contact my GP again

Back