• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nervous newbie

Helski

Hi
I've been yo yo dieting for the last 40 years and have decided that something has to be done. I've tried everything, pills, counselling, hypnotherapy you name, it I've tried it.

So tonight I'm meeting with my consultant for the first time with a view to having a gastric band through Healthier Weight.

I'm very nervous but also looking forward to wearing some of the lovely clothes that I own but can no longer fit in to. I've just counted 14 pairs of jeans in one drawer that hasn't been opened for a couple of years!

I know it's not going to be easy but I see it as a physical inhibitor where my will power/natural tendency has failed me. I'm a little bewildered by the pre op diet. Some sites talk about a low cal diet and others a 'milk' diet. I'd be grateful if anyone can shed any light on this for me.

Thanks in advance.

PS: There is loads of useful info on this site and lots of support.

Wishing you well. As you know as I replied elsewhere when you posted after joining, I had my band fitted by Healthier Weight and have had no problems at all. They have been great, pre, during and post op care. Are you seeing Dr A today? If so, he is most certainly to the point when he talks, he is most certainly honest and sometimes forthright, but I will forever be thankful for him enabling me to see just how much I'd been in denial.

HW for their pre-op will recommend a low fat, low carb diet, usually for 2 weeks prior to surgery. They will also suggest using their own foods via Weight to Go. However, from personal choice I actually followed a milk diet as it took away the choice of eating, but also enabled me to be prepared for the liquid only stage post band. But, HW will give you very detailed guidelines for pre op and what you should be doing post op, unlike many providers they don't "ban" foods, but will encourage you to have a balanced diet of what works and what you can tolerate, but follow their guidelines and you're on track :)

Let us know how it goes :)

Thanks, and thanks too for your earlier response. I'm seeing Mr Jamie Kelly in Soton. I can't stop surfing the web looking for support. It's quite a big deal isn't it? I don't think anything the Dr says will really be news as I'm pretty realistic about it all.
My husband and daughter are going with me so hopefully they will understand better why I feel the need to go through with this.
None of my family has similar issues with food, so they find it very difficult to understand why I can't do this on my own. However, they are very supportive and just worried about my health, both mental and physical!

Back