• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Day 4 of Pre-Op Diet and I've Cheated Several Times Already

Status
Not open for further replies.

EighteenStoneGirl

I don't know what to do. I always reach a plateau in the day where I just can't handle it anymore and reach for something I shouldn't. I feel like such a failure. :cry:

I'm being banded on April 14th and still have 10 days to turn it around. I'm hoping it might be easier now as I'm off work for 2 weeks as of today and the last 4 days at work, with the whole commute and running around after kids was hell (no wonder I needed to eat!).

I've already put on almost 7lbs since I was weighed by THG back in early March due to eating like the world was coming to an end once they okay-ed my band.

But I just feel crappy and wondering if it's too late, have I messed up?

I think you need to think about if you're really ready for this step forward if you can't stick to a diet for two weeks. I also think you need to ring your team and find out if it will be safe for them to operate with only 10 days on the liver shrink.

I know what it's like to have problems sticking to pre-op diet, it can be tough.
What did they give you to follow and how have you slipped up - it might not be as bad as you think but it is important to follow the diet from now on. This isn't just about losing weight but making your body - especially the liver, is in the best possible condition for surgery.
You can do it, if you are committed enough to undergo surgery then you can commit to the diet too, just steel yourself. I know it's tough, but you can do it.
If you have a dietitian as part of your package, I would recommend talking to them about your concerns.
Good Luck !

I so wanted my operation, I was ready for it I needed it, I went into panic mode when I absent-mindedly licked my fingers after cooking O/H's dinner, so cheating was not on my agenda , maybe you need to wait until you are 100% in the zone?

I cheated on my pre-op diet for the band. I was worried too since i was on it for 2 weeks and went out to eat/drink the first week.

The second week i just did the best i could really without going mad on food or mad with hunger either.

You will be really surprised how little interest you have in food after surgery. I'm still not bothered by food or hunger and i'm 10 days out. Its such a relief to not have the cravings and hunger for the first time in my life.

My bmi was 37 and my surgeon said it's only really important for massive people to stick 100% to pre-op. Most other people have pretty regular size livers.

Dont stress, just do the best you can and prepare to not feel at all hungry!

I feel your pain.
I'm on day 10 of 14 and it has been really difficult but I just try to stay focused on my op date (8/4/14) 4 days away.
Drink lots of fluids and try to keep as busy as possible! Not long to go until your op date. X

I cheated on my pre-op diet for the band. I was worried too since i was on it for 2 weeks and went out to eat/drink the first week.

The second week i just did the best i could really without going mad on food or mad with hunger either.

You will be really surprised how little interest you have in food after surgery. I'm still not bothered by food or hunger and i'm 10 days out. Its such a relief to not have the cravings and hunger for the first time in my life.

My bmi was 37 and my surgeon said it's only really important for massive people to stick 100% to pre-op. Most other people have pretty regular size livers.

Dont stress, just do the best you can and prepare to not feel at all hungry!

Did he give a figure on these "massive" people?

Thanks everybody for your input. I haven't cheated massively (for instance I haven't been to McDonalds or anything!) I've been told to eat 1000 calories eating stuff like Weetabix or Eggs for Breakfast, Under 100kcal Soup for Lunch, Apples or a Sugar Free Jelly as a Snack and New Potaotes/Mange-Tout/Chicken Breast for Dinner.

As for the most part I've stuck to it, but usually when it comes to around 6ish, and often after my 2hr commute home, I'm knackered and starving and maybe I'll have a handful of extra potatoes, or an ice lolly, or an extra sugar free jelly/apple. I've been counting calories and I've gone up to 1200-1300 most days rather than the 1000 I'm supposed to be eating.

It is hard I would still speak to them tho. I think I would have struggled on a calorie counting diet. I was on the milk and yogurt diet and stuck to it rigidly. It was easier as there was no thinking to do, no options no thought just milk. To be fair I only had 9 days between my booking and op day. I was concerned that my liver wouldn't have shrunk but it obviously had. My bmi started at 44 too. I went to thg 2 days before surgery for the blood tests as I was to be first on the list on operation day. I voiced my concerns and she said if my body had gone into ketosis (excuse spelling) my liver would shrink as my body would have begun to use fat stores. 3 days in I had felt awful terrible head aches and feeling sick so was hoping all would be ok.
They will be concerned that your not ready mentally. For 4 weeks after you are on a very strict diet to enable your band and stomach to heal. So it's so important to stick to the providers plan. They said to me the pre op diet is to shrink the liver and prepare you for the weeks that follow. Phone them tomorrow it would be awful if you arrived they opened you up then couldn't operate. Maybe you could postpone a few weeks and start your pre op again.
It is tough process but a lady I speak to on here did 4 weeks liquid pre op then 2 weeks liquid post op then 2 weeks sloppy foods. She didn't actually chew for 2 months. Please phone your provider and I really hope all is ok. Good luck with your journey

Is the " cheat" you mention less than the foods you were previously eating? ( just to put a different spin on this- bit of positivity)

Only that if you are managing to stick to 1200-1300 cals and that is all healthy food and no high fat, high carb , trans and saturated fats then surely you should not beat yourself up emotionally. I respect what everyone is saying re: being ready etc, and I must admit I was strict leading up to the operation ( still am now ) but for and the head binges and need to hurt myself in some form, I needed this band to physically stop me from being ABLE to binge.

I went to something no one has mentioned on this site, it's called OA ( overeaters anonymous ) it works the same as AA and NA ( narcotics annon ) I learnt a lot about addiction. Where it comes from what it causes, I use this in conjunction with my band now. It doesn't give you a diet plan nothing like that but it may help with your journey with the band .... It's spiritual but it's insightful to not feel alone, a failure or lost.

Good luck chicken and make this work coz your worth it !!!! ;-)

Thanks Bandedhun. I needed some positivity. Thought that was what this website was for!?

I previously averaged 3000+ calories a day so this is huge for me. I'd gorge on sweets, chocolate, anything full of cream, butter, sauce etc. My diet was a fat persons stuff of dreams. Fried stuff with cheese, beans, bacon, sausages, creamy mash, chips etc. etc.

I knew it'd be a struggle but I convinced myself I could do it.

I feel like what Yvessa and Butterfly Lady said about me not being ready is bull frankly. Sorry if that's harsh but I'm more than ready, but I'm an over eater and that's why I'm here. Same as everybody else.

Not to get into anything because we all have our struggles but sometimes it helps looking from a different angle. Stick with your low fat ( non bingey ) goods. Call the provider and tell them you struggle 1000 cal and be honest, trust me they are there to help but it's gotta be safely done.

As long as portions are your problem seems to me like the band will help you massively. You just gotta get your head in the right place and support, no matter how harsh will come ( the world would be boring without controversial opinions right?!?! ) but keep positive you know yourself what you are TRUELY putting in your body .... ;-)

Xx

That's very true hun over eating was my middle name. That's why I had my band. The pre op is hard to stick to really hard. I used to be the pasty and chips mad!! So to go from one day to eating 4 greggs sausage rolls for lunch to the following day a milky coffee was harsh. Your not the first person to fall off the pre op wagon. You still have more than a week I only did 9 days. Phone and ask for some advice they might not even be concerned
Don't be dis heartened by any comments. The advice and support is fab especially post op I promise you. I'll tell you a secret and I'll get negativity for this comment. They told me to stop smoking and I couldn't!! Terrible I know and they didn't even ask me on the day I've got asthma too so should be ashamed of myself... When they told me to have a walk after surgery I went straight outside for one shocking I know x

Don't be too hard on Yvessa and Butterfly for their challenge Hun, it's a fair one and if you go through surgery and you are not ready it's all the more difficult on the other side to adjust to a new way of eating, emotionally and physically. It's a question we all have to ask ourselves, especially when we are struggling to stick to the rules, we have all been there in some way or another.

WLS is all about being honest with yourself, which is tough. I've had to reconcile that I'm here and doing this because Ive failed at other ways of getting healthy and I need surgery as a tool to give me that kick up the arse for good.

The site is great for support and advice but the guys on here will be honest with you because a lot of them have been through all the pit falls and know how though it can be. I've wobbled over my decision but the peeps on here have helped me enormously and the answers haven't always been what I wanted to hear!

If you stick to your diet 100% from here on in you will know yourself if you are ready to eat at restricted levels and ENJOY it for the rest of your life.
Good Luck, you can do it.

My pre op diet was just about the same as yours except no calorie guidance. I was 19/20 stone when I started & had a two week diet but my provider was happy with me doing just over a week.
I wouldn't be too worried about going over by 2 or 3 hundred cals. So long as you are sticking to low fat food.
Call your provider if your not sure
There's still time to pull things back a little anyway.
Just do your best, remember that the pre op diet is there to help you as well as the surgeon!
My only concern for you is that of all the wls procedures the band is the hardest (in my humble opinion) & if your head isnt in the right place you might fail. I found the pre op diet a great time to get my head into gear.
Its like you & food are getting divorced, no more flirting!
Good luck

Its like you & food are getting divorced, no more flirting!
Good luck

:p That's exactly how I explained it to someone. :D
You love it, you have spent years on your life in a relationship with it and all of its ups and downs. You have had some good times and some bad times but in the end it's a relationship on the wrong path and causing you pain, so time to be strong and leave that relationship behind and concentrate on building a new relationship with food that loves and adores you - just like a good marriage should be. :love047:

Hello..hmm I've read all the comments and would agree that all views and opinions are said in the best interests. It's true...if u can't stick to preop...is ur mind and heart in the right place,but then I believe u still have time to pull it back. It is hard with the commute...drink something when u get home like a milky coffee.
People on here have been through everything u are going through. It's not easy and once the ops been done, like my bypass has been, I believe the hard work starts now. It's not easy. But its a new chance to make better decisions food wise.
Good luck, b strong, and don't pick!

I had my gastric band fitted this Tuesday just gone and was on a milk diet for 8 days , on day 4 I was really down and had a binge of chicken korma rice salad 2 crumpets , and 2 jam on toast , the next day I jumped back on to the milk diet . After my surgery my surgeon said that my liver was in fantastic shape and the op couldn't have gone smoother :)) now I'm not saying go ahead and binge like I did but dont b so hard on yourself and no one has the right to judge your situation , just stay positive and do your best , you will b fine xxx

How you doing Rosieposie?

I can't believe how much weight I've lost! How you funding eating ? Scars? Etc.... X

Yeah I'm ok I got on the scales today and in total have lost 1stone 9 pounds in 11 days , its pritty hard to believe really . Scars are not too bad but I've been taking co codimol every 4 hours so I'm always topped up if I go without it gets quite sore . I keep getting hunger pangs on and off but I tried to have some hienz tomato soup and was stuffed off 4 spoonfuls , the band keeps making rumbling noises which is weird but all in all I'm ok xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back