• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Day 4 of Pre-Op Diet and I've Cheated Several Times Already

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've spoken to my provider this morning and they've told me not to worry, they've said if I've only gone over by a few hundred and generally stuck to low carb options it'll more than likely be fine.

They also advised me that pre-op is the hardest part and that most people tend to stick religiously to the liquids post-op out of fear, if nothing else. Currently cos I don't have that deep embedded fear is probably why I cheated and also it's the first time I've ever really done this, eaten such a low cal diet forcefully.

So yes, I do still think their comments were unfair but maybe it's because their starting weights were significantly bigger than mine so maybe I didn't face the same issues they did, I dunno. Either way ...each to their own.

And if anyone reading this is in the same boat as me, my advice is - try harder but don't kick yourself too hard if you fall. You deserve this op because you've obviously made the difficult decision to go through with it. Do whatever you've gotta do to remind yourself why you went through the effort to go down this road in the first place and hopefully that will put you back onto the right track.

This morning I'm on holiday for a month in order to prepare and recover from the op. And today I've ONLY had a 138 calorie soup. So maybe work was getting in my way as I'm doing a hell of a lot better.
Just wanna say thanks to everyone for their advice and comments.

Hi Hunni :) firstly whats done is done now and is well and truly in the past, leave it there and move forward now :) glad today is going better for you i hope having a good day will put your mind back in that positive place rearing to go ........ x x wishing you all the very best ....... i was banded 8 weeks ago and this is by far the hardest part so far, my band is still empty, tummy is healed and the hunger has returned, i could if i wanted to eat anything and everything !!! its all mind over matter, staying focused and determined to succeed x x x

Thanks Crystal :) And good luck hun.
Thats ok hunni x x i can understand, nothing worth having is never easy lets be honest lol I followed my pre op and post op to the letter (cos i'm a good girlie) BUT it's also worth remembering this is your health and sometimes sticking to the rule is best ....... x x x

Thats great that you have spoken to them.. and great that they are not worried. It is hard and it and i agree you dont eat after out of fear thats for sure.
Just shows that with no work and no commuting its easier to stick to. Its hard when your exhausted and starving to not walk in and pick at food. Im sure we all use food as a comfort thing thats why we are here after all. Good luck sounds like you have turned the corner. I agree with crystalrainbow whats done is done put it out of your head. The next few weeks are tough enough without beating yourself up about it.

I find it so irritating when trying to support people is harsh. I never cheated. Not once. I wanted the op that badly and I wanted to survive it so much that I would not have dared. Now bear in mind I was huge. And my eating issues were phenomenal. So my view is that if I could do it so can everyone else here.

And yes you can get your op some of the time even when cheating, but post op is hard. I'm glad your team are okay with it and you're on the right track but believe me I was probably the nicest about this I've ever been.

I personally feel if you cheat your preop you should be seriously wary of getting a gastric op regardless if your original bmi because post op regain is a huge issue, especially with the band.

I was not nasty in any way I just asked if you were really ready. And there will come a day when you realise just how valid a question that is.

I find it so irritating when trying to support people is harsh. I never cheated. Not once. I wanted the op that badly and I wanted to survive it so much that I would not have dared. Now bear in mind I was huge. And my eating issues were phenomenal. So my view is that if I could do it so can everyone else here.

And yes you can get your op some of the time even when cheating, but post op is hard. I'm glad your team are okay with it and you're on the right track but believe me I was probably the nicest about this I've ever been.

I personally feel if you cheat your preop you should be seriously wary of getting a gastric op regardless if your original bmi because post op regain is a huge issue, especially with the band.

I was not nasty in any way I just asked if you were really ready. And there will come a day when you realise just how valid a question that is.

I kinda like what you have written about being thru it and how hard it is. I totally understand this. Like you this is a last resort for me and I have to change my attitude towards food and what I eat... And ultimately be honest about it. Getting obese, super obese etc... You have to accept responsibility for that. I feel what you say about weight gain is in a hell of slot of the surgeries not just the band. There have been multiple stories about by pass patients regaining a hell of a lot of weight after three years, mainly because they could not keep to the pouch size and portions and it stretched. As too with the band. I think people are completely disillusioned if they think WLS is an EASY option it's not, willpower along with the tool help and aid it. But ultimately, like you rightly put, you are responsible for what you put in your mouth.

I'm lucky I never got to the stage where I was morbidly or super obese. So my changes in diet are possibly minimal but I eat portions of food a big bloke would eat and I just didn't want to eat like a bloke anymore ... I want a ladies appetite! ( body to match would be nice too) but I ultimately want a healthy relationship with food.

I don't think it was harsh what you put and we all have our stories struggles.

You have done amazing Yve and your an inspiration :) ... Sometimes social websites can really be looked into when they are not meant they way they were originally written ,

Both you ladies ... Good luck in your paths ... :-D

Itsssss Friday!!!!!!!! Xxx

I actually agree with u.u weren't harsh justto the point. Iwanted my op so muchi didn't cheat.the only person who cheats is cheating on themselves. This is a longhard journey post op. This is not a manic fix. Will u beable to suffer portions after the op? This is my opinion.

I want my op more than you know but I have ISSUES with food!
Surely you get that?

I'm ready for it, but the fact that I slipped up doesn't make me any less ready - it makes me human.

I would hazard a guess that more people on here than not cheated on their pre op diets. Just because you stuck to yours, doesn't mean you wanted it more than me and doesn't make me any less determined to make it through this.
I'm sorry but as a mental health professional I find it disgraceful when people use the phrase "if I can do it, you can do it".

I'm not you. Maybe I'm just not as strong as you are.

edit: I also think it's laughable when people say things like 'the only person who cheats is cheating themselves'. I spent years and years on various diets, and mine failed while my friends succeeded. Why did they fail? Cos I gave up and started eating huge portions again. As I'm sure almost every single person on this website did.

So effectively, we've all cheated at some point in our lives. Surely it's something you know about only too well? I don't want to be the person who says 'how come you couldn't just do it through diet and exercise?' but how come you couldn't just do it through diet and exercise? I know why I couldnt.

Because I'd cheat.

Last edited:
I don't know what to do. I always reach a plateau in the day where I just can't handle it anymore and reach for something I shouldn't. I feel like such a failure. :cry:

I'm being banded on April 14th and still have 10 days to turn it around. I'm hoping it might be easier now as I'm off work for 2 weeks as of today and the last 4 days at work, with the whole commute and running around after kids was hell (no wonder I needed to eat!).

I've already put on almost 7lbs since I was weighed by THG back in early March due to eating like the world was coming to an end once they okay-ed my band.

But I just feel crappy and wondering if it's too late, have I messed up?

Pleased you have spoken to your provider as at the end of the day, it's their guidance that needs to be followed; however on an open forum when someone asks for an opinion to "have I messed up" there will be a range of honest responses based on other peoples own views/experiences. That's the point of the forum isn't it, to have those open discussions as well as provide/receive support and guidance.... Nowadays, I am not so black or white, people can have their views. There doesn't need to be someone who is right or someone who is wrong. If someone doesn't want to receive an opinion, they shouldn't ask the question :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I agree...y head up a topic and not accept that the coments and opinions aregiven from an individuals point of view. U don't have to take the advice but to state that what someonesaid is bull is wrong. Yes we are all human we are all different. My way isnot better than ur way, but nor isit wrong or bull poo.
Edit...ur responce directed at me...I get it...attack is thebest form of defence..

Out of this whole process so far, my experience is,

The most uncomfortable questions asked of you are often the most important ones to answer honestly.

Good luck for the op!

The pre op is hard having undertaken it twice but everyone is also different and just because support / advice is offered doesn't mean it needs to be taken. Everyone has their different reasons for being on this wls journey which can / will often change over time. It isn't easy and still in the grieving process for the loss of food which was a comfort and a best friend for so many years.

Hi hunnie
I had a sleeve a week ago today! I only had to follow the liver shrunk for a week and I struggled let me tell ya!!!
And it's not about my head being ready
If my head was ready for weight loss the sleeve would not have been an option, I'd have used my will power instead!
I cheated, not proud of it but part of it was the stress involved in having the surgery I stress I eat, I cry I eat, I laugh I eat!
What exacyky have you had sweetie? I had Jaffa cakes in day one, and other items which I won't share on here, I did NOT touch alcohol which is a biggy for me as I drink every day, only 1 or 2 but every single day! And I haven't drank now for 2 weeks,

Pm me privately if you prefer xxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back