• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dead legs post op

MissDiet

Come on lbs!!!
Hi all,

Since i woke up after theatre my thighs have been numb. To the point where i can stick my nails in my legs and not really feel it... I asked my surgeon and he said although not common it can happen and that it will pass.

Now 6 days on i spoke to my support nurse at wls group and apparently in 13 years im only the second person to have this in her care/watch. And the other patient got it a month ago. Apparently its paralisis of the legs from the anastesia (spelling?) and it will wear off..

But i dont just have that. The top of my thigh tingles and last night getting into bed it felt like someone took an ice cold carving knife and sliced up my thigh... That hurt!

Has anyone had this?

Xx

Sorry to hear that, hun. The sensations you are experiencing are the nerves coming back to life, bit like pins & needles. It may get a bit worse but is a good sign :):):) xx

I was just going to say it could be anaesthetic, my grandson had a hydraseal fixed recently and lost the use of his legs for the full day and his leg kept giving way for a couple of days after, they explained it was anaesthetic, he was back to normal within a few days. Wishing you a speed recovery and looking forward to hearing about your weight loss in the future xx

Thanks both :). Just annoying when they go dead and tingly in the night and wake me up haha xx

Hi chick, the exact same thing has happened to me. I had my op the 30th june and although abit better it's still numb on my right side. At first the stabbing pain was horrific. I was in morrisons and as i was walking it reduced me to tears. i had to go and sit in the cafe. Also in bed it happens. It's getting better slowly and it's not so intense now. Thank god i aint the only one x

Thank you, i felt my leg pop when i woke up after my opp, it's numb but so painful right leg above my knee to my hip. i can also dig my nails into my leg and not feel a thing, xx

God dammit. Really wish this would b**ga off..

I get comfy in bed for my tummy, then my legs hurt, and visa versa

The pain on my right has changed to the sort of feeling you would expect if a spider was running over and around your legs... weird (or it could just be spiders I cant see!) lol

xx

I had the same thing and it was driving me crazy,but it does pass and when it does it's a great feeling, mine went after 3weeks I hope urs passes soon babe xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Just wanted to post an update. Ive still got this feeling, i cant work out if its getting better or im getting used to it lol. Its started to be psinful when i walk more than 100 ft or so

X

i have that all the time. they said that it was the nerve endings that were dead due to diabetes. my toes are totally numb and jet still tingle but when they tingle they are painful.. no matter how much i move my toes it does not help. They are also ice cold. I have told the doctors about this months and months and no one seems particulary concerned.. I have not got a date for my op yet.

Minoots, You need to go back to your doctor & insist they review you. You should not have this as it is the reason they inspect your feet at your diabetic appointments. Do it soon, it is nothing to do with your op, it is your diabetes care giver that should be checking this out. Take Care xxx :wave_cry:

Minoots, This sounds like diabetic neuropathy. Go to your doctor and ask to be referred to the chiropodist, you are entitled to free foot care as a diabetic. The doctor can also prescribe tablets to stop the pain and tingling. Take care of your feet, it can take as little as 1 hour for a cut on the foot to develop into an abscess, this is the biggest cause of amputation.

Hi Miss Diet,

I had my surgery on the 10th Sept and I too lost the feeling in my left thigh. 5 weeks later and it still isn't right but most of the feeling has returned and I am hopeful it will go back to feeling normal as the weeks go by.

I was told it was a combination of the position I was lying in on the bed during the op plus the anesthesia. However mine only started after my first night in bed after the op and I think it is more to do with the position I was in ( sitting upright in bed with a lot of pressure on my lower back and spine). The nurse also told me it was very unusual but another lady that had her op at the same hospital complained of the same thing but like you hers was in both legs. So not that unusual lol.

Wendy x

my right leg still isn't right after 4 months. It's improved but will it ever go entirely???

I am 3 weeks post op with gastric band and when i stand still for 5 minutes or so my right thigh goes numb and when i'm asleep both hand goe numb, this all started happening a week after the op. Going to see my local GP about it tonight.

Just an update for you all.

Doc was useless, diagnosed me via google...

Surgery team are being slow to respond...

Called nhs helpline.

Looks like i have paralastesia which is causing the pain if i brush my hand over my leg. Its also said to be causing the tingiling feeling.

And also i have siatica which stems from me my old back pain. So because ive now lost weight im walking different with the reduced muscle meaning my bodys having to trian itself on how to walk and hold my new weight. So my back is compressing a muscle which cause the dead numb sensation.

Ive been told to:
If i sleep on side have a cushion between legs
If sleeping on back cushion under knees
Stand or lie flat mainly, try ot to sit for too long
Take warm baths
Put hot water bottle on leg

I hope this helps someone

X

Just an update for you all.

Doc was useless, diagnosed me via google...

Surgery team are being slow to respond...

Called nhs helpline.

Looks like i have paralastesia which is causing the pain if i brush my hand over my leg. Its also said to be causing the tingiling feeling.

And also i have siatica which stems from me my old back pain. So because ive now lost weight im walking different with the reduced muscle meaning my bodys having to trian itself on how to walk and hold my new weight. So my back is compressing a muscle which cause the dead numb sensation.

Ive been told to:
If i sleep on side have a cushion between legs
If sleeping on back cushion under knees
Stand or lie flat mainly, try ot to sit for too long
Take warm baths
Put hot water bottle on leg

I hope this helps someone

X

And are these miracle cures helping YOU, honey? Hope so, sweetie xxx :)

Hmm. Well the hear is helping :) xx

Heat*

blimey, i hope you're sorted real soon :) xxx

Back