• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Decided against surgery

You must have your reasons, wls is not for everyone but for me i feel as if it is the only forward. You have said bypass is not for you i take it you not having any wls at all. Good for you if you can do it on your own as wls is not something to go into lightley it still takes hard work. I wish you well what ever you going to do xx

Agree with above post. You need to decide what is best for you. I also didn't want a by pass & nearly fainted when hospital suggested it. I cried for 3 days. I then researched other things & discussed with my team & they suggested looking at a sleeve. It took me 3 months to decide but I haven't looked back. It was best for me. I no longer have chronic sciatica, am pain free & my blood pressure is normal. My mobility problems are gone & I can even run pretty fast! Was a size 30 now approaching a size 14 & 8 1/2 stones light. Good luck.

Wls isn't for everyone. I'm not totally sure I have done the right thing, but I dread to think what size I would be had I not done it. I couldn't even consider the bypass, but I said yes to the sleeve. I have no willpower and I know I couldn't do it on my own. I admire anyone who can do it without wls. Good luck with whatever you decide. xx

I know it isn't for everyone, It scared me too, but in a year I have gone from size 30 to 12/14. Lost over 10st, come off all meds for pain, high blood pressure, GERD etc, cut down to one metformin a day, can run, sit on any chair I want, dance with everyone else, go into any shop and buy clothes, swap clothes with my mates, look at a photo of myself without wanting to cry. Enjoy my life.
I could not have done all this without WLS, good luck to anyone who can. I spent almost 30 years trying to do this without my "tool" and felt a failure every time I couldn't.
I really hope you are successful. Good luck xx

You've made a tough and brave decision. You have your reasons, and they don't need to be explained. Good luck on your weight loss journey x

Hune it's up to you to do whatevet you feel best. And If it's not feeling the right thing to do then dont do it hune. It's your decision to make and nobody else's business!

It's your life and your choice alone. WLS was a thing I never wished to consider, in a way it was admitting 'defeat'.
But, as time has gone on, so has the extra weight which in turn has developed unwanted health issues etc. So before things develop further, I'm opting for WLS. The choice is for the individual to make, as I have refused in the past. Now though, I'm tired of the 'looks', the comments, the slog of buying clothes etc... I've spent the past 32 yrs being overweight. Now it's right in my mind to act accordingly.

I wish you every luck in the world.

JoeH said:
It's your life and your choice alone. WLS was a thing I never wished to consider, in a way it was admitting 'defeat'.
But, as time has gone on, so has the extra weight which in turn has developed unwanted health issues etc. So before things develop further, I'm opting for WLS. The choice is for the individual to make, as I have refused in the past. Now though, I'm tired of the 'looks', the comments, the slog of buying clothes etc... I've spent the past 32 yrs being overweight. Now it's right in my mind to act accordingly.

I wish you every luck in the world.

I agree with everything that every one has said.. This has to be your decision. I am 65 and have been fat my whole life. This is the first time in all these years that k don't feel 'second best'. I can go anywhere .. Do anything and like today get a lump in my throat when I walk into a normal shop and can fit into normal clothes.. Sit on any chair without wondering if I will get stuck, cut and paint my toe nails, walk up the stairs, do things that I have watched other people doing for years.. Oh yes and I am no longer diabetic !!
I am 6 1/2 months out my bypass and weigh 8 stone less than what I did last year !!
Again... I wish you well and only YOU know what is good for you !!!

You're not the only one - I did the same thing. When I was 26 and at uni, I started jumping through hoops, got funding and decided it wasn't right for me. Now on a wls site you're obviously more likely to find the people who chose surgery, so bear in mind that some people will have made that choice and stuck to it and lost their weight. For me, despite everything I tried, 2 years later I was at my heaviest and my health was too bad for me to kid myself any longer and I started the process again. But if you feel like this is the wrong step for you, please trust your instincts. I am now glad I waited longer as I would not have been in the right mindset now to make it work. I wish you the best of luck addressing the weight without wls :)

If it's any consolation my GP told me at least 90% of people who start the process pull out before surgery. It is a massive commitment to make which requires huge life changes that cannot be reversed . You have to be absolutely certain it's the right thing for you and everyone is different. The enormity of the change cannot be under estimated.
I'm at my goal of a healthy weight now. It's taken me 16 months. I spent 40 years before that battling my food demons, and whilst I'll always have an eating disorder that needs effort to control ( whether that be over or under eating) I have the tool I need to help me. I couldn't manage without. I hope you can and wish you all the very best for the future. Deciding NOT to have surgery is just as hard and brave a decision as deciding to go ahead. Good luck
xx

i also decided against surgery at age 26, it just seemed to enormous a thing to do, so i continued to try and failed miserably at maintaining weight loss without surgical help. at 34 im very thankful my GP was more than willing to refer me again. plus back then my area was offering bands,this time around i was able to go for the bypass and im glad i waited, the band would not have been for me.

it really is a very big decision to make.

Thank you so much for all your kind replies, I will tell you why I decided it was not for me as it may help other to make an informed decision.

I am 65 years old and feel that at my time of life I cannot make such radical permenant life changes, neither do I feel my marriage would be able to cope either, had it been offered to me earlier in life I may have thought differently.

Fortunately I dont have any other health issues apart from my diabetes which is well controlled with Insulin, please dont think I am being patronising when I say I am not nearly as overweight as a lot of people on here, I only just scraped though the BMI recommendation but still considered to be over weight.

I am not a large eater and do exercise regularly with a personal trainer, I,ve just got to try a lot harder it seems.

I do wish all of you the best very of luck, and really admire you for what you have achieved and looking at some of the photo's I cant say I am not envious.

I would just like to say that I posted a response yesterday thanking you all for your kind replies and wishing you all well and also explaining my reasons for not proceeding with surgery, as I thought is may help others, but it has not appeared so sadly I can come to only one conclusion that it has been disallowed by the moderators.

Back