• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Decision Made ....

Really sorry to hear about the lack of support you got from your team. It does not seem right to have to wait a year when clearly the issue is partly because you did not get a chance to talk to someone who could answer your questions.

As I think someone else has suggested could you contact pals and see if they can intervene? Or maybe ring the surgeons secretary and explain to her that you were rushed into this without any proper time to talk to anyone. Maybe this way you could have your appointment and then get re-scheduled if you decide for sure that is what you want.

On another note, you may want to check your funding. Mine was only valid for one year from the date it was given. Or it may not be a problem to reapply in your pct area.

Whichever course you decide is best for you is the right decision, whatever anyone else thinks or says.

Good luck with whatever you do, and keep in touch.

Good luck undecided. but i think u are a bit harsh to justliz. she does support u but is naturally a bit upset for someone else who could have had that slot.its a big deal and its brave of u to walk away...its a shame ur appts have been rushed and with ppl who wernt dealing with u.

i went private and spoke to a nurse and a doctor a couple of weeks before. i didnt speak to my surgeon till an hr or so before my op! but i knew what i was getting myself into from research. i would have pulled out a long time before if i wanted. i think thats what liz is saying.....yes it takes a while to decide what u want to do as its massively life changing..but u DO know if u want it or not...and if u are not sure its best to pull out in time for someone else to benefit. i dont want u to get upset about this comment.... im just trying to say thats the only downside of u pulling out last minute and thats just an honest fact being stated.

i wish u loads of luck on ur weight loss journey. u have done really well losing 6lbs on ur own! yay!! keep going...i hope u can crack it without needing surgery :)

I wish you the best of luck and i hope it's the right thing for you. keep us up to date with your wieght loss. xx

i have 2 say as undecided states srh dont give u great suport,i am 4 weeks post opp on sunday,from the seminar 2 my opp i was given a weight lose by a dietitian,saw a junior doctor 6 months later were i was told no band but would be but on list 4 bypass and endoscopy.had endoscopy then 3 weeks be my opp my fone rang and i was told i could have my surgry on 17 april and a pre opp diet would be sent in the post.at no point did i meet the surgeon b4 my addmission on sat 16th april or was i given any info on "my team as u all call them".i have a number 4 the dietetics department and that is all,i also need a follow up apointment 6 weeks after discharge but i have none as yet with 2 weeks 2 go.having said all this i was 100% sure i wanted 2 end my wl nightmare and was so pleased and greatfull that i got this opp on the nhs none of this matters 2 me,the surgeon mr balapuri and the nurses at srh were excellent with me and i have no regrets

Hi Jane

It was the secretary herself who arranged the appointment last minute.

Magicbeans - when you state I was a bit harsh to justliz, I don't think it was necessary to say "
may be you could of come to that conclusion at least 10 days ago so your slot could of been given to another patient".No one else said that. I thought THAT was very harsh. I didnt come to the decision lightly. I didnt ASK for the appointment. I had to make the decision there and then. The phone call was unexpected and I had to decide on the spot if I could take that date. It was compleetly out of the blue.

As I said before, I think you've made the right decision and I would never criticise you for it. It's not just about having major surgery. It's about how you cope post op. If I were a surgeon I think I would much rather have someone back out even on the day of the op, than have to explain to the coroner why that patient dies from anorexia a year down the line because they can't cope with the diet. Good for you hon xx

This does highlight though the importance of attending support groups if at all possible. I have often had 3 months between each appointment to see the surgeon or nurse, and having the support group has helped me to get prepared. (and of course all you lovely people here)

I do think this is the right decision now for you, you don't seem to have had very good support so far from your team and its such a huge step to take. I hope over the months you find the route you want to take and it all happens smoothly for you :) x

Thanks John. I'm glad you expericened some of the things I did.

As I said before, I do think things can be improved a little.

I am very grateful that I was given the chance to have surgery, even if it didnt go as planned , but there ARE things that could be improved. Here are some of my thoughts on Sunderland :

Intro meeting - very good. One of the surgeons does a bit of a talk, and you get a basic leaflet on the different surgeries. Some of the ex patients come in and you have time to ask a few questions.

Dietition meeting - the lady who does this was lovely. The only person I believe I met from the bariatric team in the individual meetings.

A few other points that could be improved :

-Not meeting / dealing with bariatric staff at ALL appointments. Other staff can't answer your questions. Many of them don't even agree with surgery for obesity. And without saying anything, it's fairly obvious when your meeting is with one of these people).

- Having your first evaluation meeting in front of receptionists etc. Having to answer questions about thoughts of suicide etc with an audience. It doesnt really feel very confidential. Luckily I had no concerns there, but for some people it could have been uncomfortable. The room this was done in was used by other people, who sat there while your feedback was discussed.

- Not getting a follow up meeting if your surgery type is changed / the staff think a gastric bypass is better suited. There is no real chance in the process to ask questions in the individual meetings. When you are told this you have a 5-10 minute meeting. At this point, if it's not the surgery you were expecting, you might not even HAVE any questions, as it's not the surgery you may have fully researched. In my experience, the man who does this meeting is not even from the bariatric team.

- Not knowing if other people involved in the investigations know why you are there. Who are they ? Can you ask them questions ? Will they know the answers ? Do they understand why people have / need the surgery (I dont think he did).

- Queries over who is dealing with you and what their role is. The person named on your letter isnt usually the person you meet. I was told by the guy at my meeting he would do my gastroscopy. It wasn't him. The things I had asked him about (gallbladder/ hernias etc) were left in the air with no answer.

- Hospital notes not matching what actually happened / what was said. Or not being told info that is on them (eg you have a hernia).

- Diet sheets arriving after the diet has started.

- Ward admittance letters not arriving. Where do you go for your op ? What day and time ?

I know the process takes a year or more, however when you add up the total time spent actually speaking to hospital staff, it totals around 30 minutes (and this includes the time to get the gastroscopy). It's not a lot of time for such a huge operation.

There are some lovely staff at Sunderland. As in all places there are also others who dont want to be there / think that obesity patients are just lazy. It's probably the same everywhere you go.

All hospitals could do with more people like the dietition lady you first meet. Obesity patients should only be seen by people who know and understand the problem. It makes sense for both sides.

I think as patients about to have a major op we have the right to change our minds if we wish . If I was to get into the theatre and decided I was too scared to go through with it and walked out that would b my choice and I wouldn't b thinking about someone else having my spot ! Sounds harsh but I would b thinking about myself and my family not a stranger I hadn't even met !undecided has made a brave decision and they have a right to walk away at any time they feel they should . This journey for me has been harrowing and scary and sometimes people just are not at this moment in time ready for the long road ahead that is their choice and should be supported in that choice :D:D (that's an ' I'm STARVING' on this bloody soup diet ) rant !!! :eating:

Hi Yorkie

SRH does have a good support group. I only attended one meeting as it's a bit far for what is essentially a chat :) Plus of course you can ask just as much (if not more) on here.

I've had a banana and soup today. Weirdly not that hungry. Got an interview tomorrow. That probs doesn't help ! lol

Undecided first off i have to say you have been very brave to give up a chance of this life saving/changing surgery but i see your reasons why....

Poor communication of information would make you feel like that...

I have to say i met my surgeon on the day of my surgery and i was a nhs patient. However all of my other appt's were with a bariatric trained doctor....

I suggest you get in touch with PALS, raise your concerns about the lack of communication and information passing between your hospital and yourself and state that yes you want your surgery but you want it in 'x' amount of months so you have time to mentally and physically prepare yourself for this surgery/new life change.

it is wrong you should go back 12 months, especially as your funding is already in place. For heavens sake they will only have to repeat everything again, and as we know time means money!!!! That and the thought of possibly not getting funding next year would make me fight like a mother tigress for it this year...

Also, the bit about hanging around and lurking on here? Errr excuse me, you are the lady with lots of questions, you should be hanging around and posting...

It can be very hard to to go into an operation that wasn't what you planned for, if you had unanswered questions then you have to follow your heart. Anyone is free to pull out of an operation at anytime and in an ideal world it would be good if someone could benefit but its not always the case and all surgeons will check and double check that you want to go ahead, even the anaethatist will check and double check. Use your time wisely between now and start making good food choices and ask questions. That way you will be both mentally and physically ready for what ever op happens.

I think you've made the right choice.

One should always go with their gut (excuse the pun). Pehaps wls isn't for your path, maybe it is but now isnt the right time for you.

At least you now have the time to meditate on what's right for you.

I have nothing but admiration for your bravery.

All the best xxx

Hi phatmomma

I don't want to raise any concerns or make any complaints or cause any problems or anything. It's just how things went, and it's just feedback. I did explain everything to them yesterday though.

As for lurking. I didn't intend to lurk. I did say I'd like to see how everyone else gets on, so would obviously still post aswell. I'm all questioned out for the moment I think. Am sure posts I say may trigger further questions though.

Back