• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Decision Time !

Lady Shaz

Hi all,

I'm getting closer to surgery and it feels like everything is finally going to happen.

Today I attended the seminar at heartlands hospital where they go through the 3 surgical options. I've been told I'm approved and will meet the surgeon next month and can expect to have to op within 18 weeks from then! I'm so excited!

I've been overweight for most of my adult life and have yo-yo dieted since I was around 13 years old (when looking back, I didn't have a weight problem then). I'm now 44, 5'6 tall and weigh 122kgs. I wish I could achieve the weight loss myself but I can't stick to a diet long term.

I'm trying to decide which option to go for. I've ruled out the bypass, but am torn between the sleeve and the band. I'm an emotional eater and don't want to be able to gain the weight back. But as a foodie I want to still be able to eat normal healthy food in moderation. What do people recommend. I was thinking the sleeve but I don't like the idea that it might just stretch if ever I overeat. Whereas with a band, if I reached a point where I could eat more and started to gain, I could have it filled again. I'm nervous about surgery and do to want to put myself through this and fail. I know a lifestyle change is needed but which option will have the best results for me?

Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Sharon x

The bypass pouch and sleeve could both technically stretch if over filled over time but after a year from my sleeve I can't over eat and if too much goes in I throw up. Slot depends on the size of the sleeve you get. I think overrating with a band can damage then band. The surgery is just a tool and not a cure..you have to work with it..you can still put the weight back on if you don't make the right food choices. Good luck..

Thanks for your info. It's a difficult decision to make. I know that I will ever let myself get this big again, but if ever I get complacent and start to gain a few pounds I want to know that I can do something about it - which is why I started to think about the band option. Originally I was determined to go for the sleeve as this seemed to have better results according to a lot of the forums. I've read a lot of stories where people don't have as much success with the bad..... But more recent posts seem to contradict that. I'm so confused. I guess a good chat with the surgeon is the way to go.

Just thought I'd say Hi Sharon, I had a band fitted at heartlands 6 weeks ago, are you going to the support group at heartlands this Wednesday?(there on every 3rd Wednesday of the month) it may help with your decision. Whatever you decide good luck with it all, Sharon x

Shaz - one of the main benefits of the bypass is the disconnection of the stomach resulting in the disconnection of the hunger-driving hormones. I spent years thinking about WLS, and thought I wanted the sleeve but after my consultation realised in fact the bypass was gold standard and way to go.

Good luck with whatever you decide. If it helps, you will find more about my journey, where I'm at now, etc in the Gastric Bypass, Inspirational Photos section of the forum. The title of my thread starts 'Don't be a worrier, be a warrior ...'.

xxx

Thanks, I'll take a look. I was keeping an open mind, but my sister has had the by-pass, and although she's lost we'll, she has had quite a few health problems after it, which put me off. I also know 2 other women who have had the bypass and although they initially had great results, they've both gained an awful lot back 3 years on. I don't want to put myself through this for it to cause more problems or not to work. I'm so bad at making decisions. Think I need a good chat with the surgeon when I see him.

I have had both band and bypass. With a band it's very likely that you will not be able to eat quite quite a few different foods as they will get stuck I,e fibrous vegetables, red meat, salad. Other common ones are chicken and eggs, of course you may be able to eat all of these things. You may not be able to eat anything solid until the afternoon as restriction is greater in the morning. When you eat with a sleeve or a bypass the feeling of fullness is in your tummy whereas with a band it's at the top of your stomach/throat.
I would say that if you wanted to still eat all the foods then a band may not be the best choice. I am not giving medical advice here just pointing out the differences I have found personally.

Hi lady shaz, I'm also under heartlands. Had my approval for wls. Got my funding, attended the seminar, had meeting with Mr ninja the 18th of May and decided to go for the sleeve, he told me waiting time was about four months, but starting to get impatient now. I can't wait for that letter to drop through the door. Good luck on your journey

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Hey Lady Shaz

The bottom line is that you can put weight back on over time with all the surgical options. None of them do all the work for you and with all of them in order to maintain the weight you've lost you're going to have to have lifestyle changes.

So that aside, which one you go for is really up to you and honestly most post-oppers who've had success are likely to champion the procedure they had. What my consultant told me was that they are all good procedures and it's really down to choice and lifestyle which one you go for. For instance, if you have an extremely busy lifestyle then the band may not be the best as it requires the most maintenance with fills etc. However if the risk level under the knife worries you the most, then obviously the band is the lowest risk. Bypass is a 'belt and braces' move since it doesn't rely on restriction alone as the band and sleeve do and goes for an element of malabsorption. Both sleeve and bypass involve stomach pouch restriction in a way that removes the part of the stomach that contains Ghrelin (the hunger hormone).

All I can say is what I did; which was research, research, research every surgical option, have a hard (and honest) think about where my problems with food lay, the amount of time I have free to travel for after-care, the short and long-term risks of each etc and make a decision from there.

Best of luck :)

Hey Lady Shaz The bottom line is that you can put weight back on over time with all the surgical options. None of them do all the work for you and with all of them in order to maintain the weight you've lost you're going to have to have lifestyle changes. So that aside, which one you go for is really up to you and honestly most post-oppers who've had success are likely to champion the procedure they had. What my consultant told me was that they are all good procedures and it's really down to choice and lifestyle which one you go for. For instance, if you have an extremely busy lifestyle then the band may not be the best as it requires the most maintenance with fills etc. However if the risk level under the knife worries you the most, then obviously the band is the lowest risk. Bypass is a 'belt and braces' move since it doesn't rely on restriction alone as the band and sleeve do and goes for an element of malabsorption. Both sleeve and bypass involve stomach pouch restriction in a way that removes the part of the stomach that contains Ghrelin (the hunger hormone). All I can say is what I did; which was research, research, research every surgical option, have a hard (and honest) think about where my problems with food lay, the amount of time I have free to travel for after-care, the short and long-term risks of each etc and make a decision from there. Best of luck :)
what a useful post!

Thanks for the fab information guys, you all know your stuff. It's great hearing everyone's experiences. Maybe I need to think about the by-pass option after all. I think I'm worrying about other people too much. My mum and partner are desperate for me not not have the by-pass after what my sister went through. And yes I do have a very busy life, or at least I will have. I start my teaching career in September, so another thing on my mind is recovery time etc.

According to what they told us, you should hear very soon Lin Davey and be booked in within the next 6 weeks or so. We were told at the seminar that op date would be around 18 weeks from surgeon appointment. Good luck, keep me posted. What surgery are you going for?

Hi lady shaz, after talking to the consultant we decided that I would go for the sleeve, I've found this site invaluable and feel it will be the right decision for me, will keep you posted when that letter drops through the door and fingers crossed you won't have to wait too long.

Research and listen to the surgeon. If it's Mr super he won't beat around the bush and will give you his opinion in very straight terms

Brill news, I was hoping for Mr super but Mr nijjar is lovely, I'm still waiting for my pre-op appointment

I had mr super & he advised me that he thought the band was more suited to me I would listen to your surgeon they really do know what they are doing & good luck xx

P.s. Mr super was brill I am 5 days post op from a band & feel fab xx

I had a band with Mr Super :) 9 months out, perfect result, in fact I'm under target :) Firm skin No stretchmarks Almost invisible scars He's Mr Super MAN As far as I'm concerned, I absolutely love my band :) Good luck x x x

Well done!! Fabulous achievement xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back