• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Decisions decisions am I brave enough, do I deserve this or is it a wish to far?

penelope1008

Iv'e put this on my diary thread to but thought i would explore it here to.
Well after continually moaning for weeks & months on here I finally called the dietitian today as since my 1yr post op check 11mths ago I've stayed much the same weight regained a little lost it & a bit more so I am now 11st 1lb & am very frustrated with myself for not reaching my goal weight of 10st 7lbs & a healthy bmi of 25. I'd lost 93% of my excess weight & the hospital were very pleased with me & it puts me in the top5% of successful bypass patients. I have a bmi of 25.7 so should be happy & very proud of myself. But some how not losing that last 7lb makes me feel I've failed that the 8st 2lb I've lost doesn't matter as I've failed to reach they target. She says I shouldn't feel that way if she were to tell the surgeon what I had lost & managed to maintain for 11mths they would be ecstatic. That in her opinion that target is impossible as that 7lb & possibly more is in my excess skin & so I should be going to my gp to ask for a plastics referral. So I shall try & I've asked for my target to be altered at ww so I can reach my gold target having now been there for a year. As for the plastics I'm not sure I a) deserve it after all the NHS paid for my bypass so aren't I being greedy, b) that I could end up with lots of problems if things don't go well, c) am I brave enough, d) even if I get the funding & the surgeon is brilliant I am no spring chicken I'm 48yrs old & even if they can offer me the body of a 25yr old would it look right on my 48yr old frame. Time for a lot of thinking I think & the old saying be careful what you wish for!

You have done so well. Try to be proud of yourself. Only you know if you want and need plastics but if you do go for it I say :)

You have done so well, but I can understand that you're disappointed you haven't reached your goal. You need to focus on the positives and stop beating yourself up over 7lbs! As for excess skin, only you can decide. However, if it makes you unhappy, and the nhs are willing to fund you, I'd say you deserve to be as happy as you can be. Good luck.

Go and have a chat with them at the referral. They know what they can offer you realistically and you can talk to them about which bits bother you the most. If you don't ask you don't get - and even if you eventually decide against having any work done - at least you will have made an informed decision.

Thing is Penny, I think you're smart enough to know that it won't fix your body image, and also it may not change how you feel about yourself. But equally in much the same way you wouldn't think twice about cutting your hair differently etc it is something that needs doing, because it is as debilitating as the fat.

Thank you all, it's strange in many ways I'm a string woman but the body image & sense of failure despite the fantastic losses make me a jibbering insecure wreck. Seeing counsellor on Monday will bring it up as we discuss this failure rut I seem to be stuck in for most if my life. Perhaps by the time we've worked on that a bit & if I can get my arthritis consultant on board to ( he suggested the bypass in the first place) I can go to the gp & ask. In the mean time I think some serious research is needed so I know what I'm asking for from the gp & if referred will take the guidance of that consultant.

Back