• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Deliberate weight gain

Before I became ill I had a very active and healthy life. I was a dance instructor/judge, nice and slim and had no problems getting around. Then came the illnesses, difficulties getting around and the weight just piled on making the pain worse.

On the days when my illness is at its worst I literally want to curl up and die the pain is that bad, the only relief I can get from this is to have a lumbar puncture and fluid drawn off my spine. If anyone has had one of those they will know they are the most painful thing you can experience, but to have them as often as I do is almost unbearable. I've had so many now down my spine is very badly scarred and marked.

Some days I can't walk at all, others I walk very badly and mostly need a stick. I had to really fight to get my DLA, even ended up at a tribunal. My doctor was appauled that I was struggling so hard to get it.

Now I read this, and sorry for saying this peeps, but it makes me want to poke her eyes out. I don't think too many of us here would prefer to be fat and in pain just to get a bit of money. Its not really that much money to start with, certainly not enough to put your health at risk for.

The very reason most of us put ourselves through this surgery in the first place is so that we are hopefully relatively pain free in the future. If ever there was a reason for people having phsyc evaluations pre op, this is it. Stupid Stupid woman!!

Oh I almost forgot. She has got one thing wrong, having this op has cut our food bills down a lot, so much so I'm thinking about sending the other half to have it done...lol

Last edited:
For most of my teenage years our family was supported by Social Security as my father had terrible bad luck and a string of illnesses - tuberculosis, 5 heart attacks and leukaemia - btw, he was always skinny.
For much of that time he didn't qualify for Incapacity Benefit despite being unable to walk as far as the corner of the road. However, he'd worked from leaving school until getting ill (30 years) and when ill still looked for work every day, at the job centre or in the local papers, no matter how many rejections he got, he still kept trying til the day he died.

I was brought up to believe that the welfare state was a benefit not an entitlement, a security net for the vulnerable, not a cushion for the lazy.

We were skint for years when dad was ill but we were never once in debt as we only ever spent what we had. And we ate decent, healthy food, I was never overweight living at home.

People often seem to claim that growing up in these situations means you can't sort out your life later. Well, I grew up on the Social and thanks to a decent dad, I take responsibility for my own life and I've worked hard for a good education and good jobs. My father would have expected no less.

This woman is taking the mickey. She'll never work as long as there is a welfare state, she'll always have an excuse.

I was brought up to believe that the welfare state was a benefit not an entitlement, a security net for the vulnerable, not a cushion for the lazy.

:clap:

What the Fxxx is going on with this country,glad my grandparents are not around to see what their generation fought and died for; being turned into the mess that is GREAT BRITAIN yeah right!We will all need to calm down or our B.Ps will be through the roof!

Thanks for the link fashionablylate, that lady wants a hefty kick up the backside.
Like Bonita I have to use a stick and hate it makes me feel old and embarass' me but I need it. Also like Bonita had to fight for disability money as have had to use all my saving for my old age to keep the house going.
I worked for 30 years and had a good job and salary and and had to give up my job after struggling to keep going for the previous 3 years, was horrified that I was treated as if I didnt deserve to have any help, it took me two years to get disability allowance.
Like Bonita it was the tribunal panel who told me to reapply as they said that I definately now fitted the criteria.
It makes your blood boil, she has had the op, regained some health and dignity, been offered a tummy tuck when she is down a bit more, now I ask you why would someone think that wasnt enough, why would she rather sit on her ass and watch telly, grow fat, lose dignity and die 10/15yrs early???
What she needs is a brain transplant, but on second thoughts no............that would cost the tax payer even more money!!!

OMG that is the most awful thing i have read :( talk about giving surgery a bad name...... i cant believe shes complaining when so many people would kill to be in her shoes, she had surgery and shes being offered a tummy tuck, it makes me so mad GGGGRRRRRRRR!! xxx

I think this is absolutely awful and she is just so ungrateful. I hope somebody at the benifits office sees it and she is not able to claim any more. Some people genuinely need to claim benefits and she is just taking advantage. aarrrrrrrrggg.:mad:

i read this story, and my utter contempt for this woman surfaced, ''oh i can't do this, or i can't do that, oh you give me more benefits and i'll be fine, well what a waste of money her surgery was, shame the psychologist didn't weedle her out at the beginning....i'm guessing we all went for surgery of one sort or another for the benefits (scuse the pun) that it would give to our health, and give us back the mobility, confidence etc to crack on and have another go at life, where as this whinging slug doesn't want to lose weight anymore cos her benefits have been slashed, the old proverb....you can lead a horse to water, but can't force it to drink, imagine some of the people who really needed surgery and were knocked back for this woman, sorry but makes my blood boil, in fact she's beyond contempt, sorry again, rant over :flamingmad: :rant2::rant2: :flamingmad:

I've just re-read it today and feel just as annoyed as I did yesterday. I just cannot believe her. I agree that she should have been picked up by the psych. I hope someone from the DSS had a look at it - not only is she claiming when she could work, but she will have been paid for that article - which is quite a lot of money for a couple of hours work isn't it.
I can totally understand why other people with disabilities are so angry that she has had her health returned to her but is now wasting it by regaining weight so she can still get DLA. I would walk a million miles to be well enough for work again.

I hope someone from the DSS had a look at it - not only is she claiming when she could work, but she will have been paid for that article - which is quite a lot of money for a couple of hours work isn't it.
I can totally understand why other people with disabilities are so angry that she has had her health returned to her but is now wasting it by regaining weight so she can still get DLA. I would walk a million miles to be well enough for work again.

my sentiments exactly

Back