• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Depressed

seawaves

Hi all, i've been around on here for a couple of months not yet posted a thread as wasn't sure how & tbh i'm quite embarrased about doing so, not sure why :eek:
Anyway i started my journey in Feb 09 my doctor was great & referred me straight away i was the first referral from my surgery, which strangely made me feel proud! Anyway i got referred to Truro & saw Mr Pinkney in May 09, i'm now with Taunton as i have opted for the Bypass (i have a big sweet tooth!) i've had my pre op & now waiting for a date, so my problem is i started at 23st 10 at my pre op i got down to 21st 7lb & after 23 yrs of smoking i have stopped :D but the longer i wait for a date the harder its gettting to not smoke & eat...........HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Hi Seawaves,

Dont be embarrassed. We all know how you feel.

Between me getting referred for surgery and having the op, I gained a stone and a half! For me, it wasnt a problem as my hospital dont have any pre op weight loss criteria, but I know that some surgeons do so if you have been told to watch your weight then you will have to do what they have asked unfortunately.

With the warm weather, perhaps you could make some sugar free ice lollies and suck on those when you get the urge to eat, or stock up on fruit and salad... I always enjoy salad more when the sun is shining. Other than that, try your best not to worry about it as you will have to do a liver shrinking diet before the op which will see a little weight come off.

I'm not a smoker so cant offer any advice there unfortunately, other than to say your surgery will be so much safer for you as a non smoker.

Hiya Seawaves xxx Come on ! Nearly there! You are on the home stretch as far as getting this bypass is concerned and it's time to put your body first and start treating it well. It's got to carry you through this op, down through losing all the pounds and it's going to be the slim fit body you always wanted for the rest of your life.
Drink lots and the ice lollies (calorie free) are a great idea...I use chewing gum a lot as well. And brush your teeth and mouthwash as you don't fancy nibbling on what you shouldn't so much with that toothpasty taste in your mouth.
Look online on or in catalogues for clothes you would love to wear when you're slim and make lists of what you want to treat yourself to.
Don't beat yourself up if you do binge now and then, just start afresh straight away..the more you upset yourself over a mistake, the more you feel guilty and comfort eat.
Stick around the site and maybe start a diary as typing / writing about your temptations / problems will help work them out without giving in to them sometimes.
You have a acheived something amazing for your body in giving up smoking after all that time...so you have it within you to get through this last little bit of waiting before your operation. You can do it!!!!! Anything we can do to help we will but keep in touch xxx Lots of love

Some good advice already given, and just to say good luck and welcome to WLS.

Hi thank you for taking the time to reply i will have a word with myself!! I need to get back in "the zone!"
Is there anyway that you can explain to me how i do the side info bit.........weight, bmi etc i'm not sure where to go to put the info on! sorry not great with computers :eek:
Looking forward to speaking to you all now i've made the first move, so to speak :) Thanks again, Em x

Hi Seawaves (waves frantically)

If you look at the top at the page you see userCP on there will be edit profile information... just fill it in and save the changes hun...

Congrats on making it here and posting at last and good luck with your op xx

Hey Julie, i done it thanks :D, thanks again ladies, i've given myself a swift kick up the backside!!, hopefully things will go back to moving in the right direction.........i will do this, i no longer want to be fat :mad:

The only thing that worked for me when trying not to smoke was doing puzzles. It is distracting without the cals of a food distraction.

Get online, while your typing you cant be puffing.....

Let me help with some inspiration... When my daughters been to my sisters she smells like an ashtray, and thats even tho my sister n her hubby smoke either outside or in another room....

Work out the cost of your cigarettes, whats that about £6.00 a pack of 20? 7 packs a week (if you dont smoke too heavy) equals £42 a week which is £168 a month which times 12 is almost £2000... In a couple of years thats a nice lump towards plastics or a lovely wardrobe of smashing size 12's....

Plus from a health point of view you will heal so much better not been a smoker xxx

Convinced yet?

Hiya Em, good to see you posting on here at last :)))). We both need a kick up the behind, and will support each other through this ok?
Speak soon, take care xxxx

Julie is spot on, as usual :D

Smoking will definitely affect the healing process. A friend of mine had a breast reduction and ended up losing an entire nipple due to smoking as it just wouldn't heal and the skin eventually turned necrotic. It's just not worth the risk.

I gave up smoking almost 2 years ago through a sort of self-hypnosis technique whereby I convinced myself how disgusting it is and how much I'm damaging my health, and smell etc etc to the point I eventually found smoking repulsive. It certainly worked.... too well, some might say, as I now detest smoking so much I can't stand being around anyone who smokes. The smell makes me feel physically sick lol

If you could actually smell yourself, and we can't while we still smoke, you would be appalled at how repulsive it is to non-smokers. I can smell a smoker from a mile away, disgusting!! :D

Have I made you want to quit yet? :p

I gave up smoking 3 years ago, I smoked 80 a day........yes 80!! I found going online really healped, the busier I was the less I thought about it. If I can do it everyone can, trust me, there wasnt one person who thought I would quit lol. I was obsessed with my fags :D

Our whole journey is like being on a roller-coaster of highs & lows. Thats why this forum is a god send 'cos every time u have a 'low' come on here & someone will get ur head back into gear...

I personally could not have got thru my endoscopy last week without the comments, assurances, advice from people on this forum. Don't be embarrassed 'cos we're all in the same boat, so to speak!!

As for the smoking bit I can give any advice as I've never smoked. Food, food, food & drink are more only vices.. Ha, ha

Take care

80 a day!!!!!!!! dottychic good on ya for giving up, wow i'm gonna stop moaning about that struggle now!!
I've been slightly better since posting on here & taking the advice given, tell me something though why is it that i would give the same advice but not be able to take it myself.......the human race is strange at times lol!!
i know its probably the same as most pre op members but i think once i've got a date things will get easier as the light at the end of the tunnel will be switched on again at the moment it is very dark out there :(
i live 5 minutes walk away from the beach & with the weather the way it is i want to go & enjoy it but at the moment i get to hot & feel embarrassed sitting there in all my clothes whilst everyone else is in there costumes.......so heres hoping that this time next yr i'll be at least in a vest & shorts, enjoying where i live :D
Btw Jan i would have given up this journey without your on going messages on fb, thanks, Em xxxx

Hi there,

I had confirmation of my funding from Cornwall PCT last week & have been referred to Taunton for a bypass, I'm waiting for my pre-op appointment (at least I assume that is what it is?!). Sounds like we're following the same route, great to have someone to talk to in exactly the same boat as me!
How did the pre-op appointment go, I'm not sure what to expect? Can I ask what sort of things did they cover: did they give you a pre-op liver shrinking diet to follow and did they let you know when to expect a date?
I feel your pain with the waiting...it seems alot of this is about waiting...all I can suggest to try to encourage you not to go back to smoking & to stick to how well you are currently doing is to keep reminding yourself as to why you started this journey in the first place...looking at all the before and after pics too, I love them!
I've taken a very recent photo of myself that I keep looking at in all it's grossness...that helps me try to be good about what I am eating!

Wow, brilliant we are getting quite a club of us Cornish folk on here, and we are all following the same route, hospitals etc. Great that we can keep in touch and encourage each other.
Em, you can do it, and so can I, it's just believing it xxxxxxx

Back