• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Depression and weight loss surgery

tammy

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Hi all, whilst i was at the hospital the other day. (not for me but my hubbie having the snip) bless him! I came across a medical journel which had a huge feature about depression and weight loss surgery. I know from reading previous threads that this is common and obviously i have suffered myself with depression for years. I did try to sneak the article in my bag but unfortunately the nurse spotted me!!! anyway what it said was that it is very common for people particularily around 6 months post op to suffer with sudden bouts of depression.

The main reasons it said were about some people's expectations not being met with their weight loss not being as expected. It also said that people's altered body image due to excess skin often making people feel very low.

It spoke about people's relationship change with food being difficult to cope with and the addictive personality's which people have often don't feel fullfilled. This has also been spoken about on other threads.

In terms of treatment and prevention it came up with lots of practical things ranging from exercise to accessing cognitive behavioral therapy at the start of weight loss journey to support changes in your body image. This can be accessed via your GP or bariatric nursing service.

I have to say personally on the whole my depression has been better but as we all do i do have some bad days.

I was surprised that this has never been mentioned to me as a possible side effect of surgery and just hope that this will make people more aware.

XXXX

Hi Tammy

I'm nearly two weeks post bypass op, i didn't have depression before the op as i have a family that supports me, and friends that are there whatever my body shape or size, currently i'm 35lbs down and have started to dig out clothes that only just fitted two years ago and have found them to be baggy, i've today put my work trousers in to be altered as they are 3 inches to big now, so i'm far from being depressed :)

Apart from a few minor irritations and feeling a bit tired out in the afternoon i've so far had no problems, i still have the desire to eat, food still looks and smells great to me (especially toast) but i no longer feel hungry anymore, it will take about 3 months for my brain to reprogramme itself to my new dietry requirement, but other than this its all positive.

Could depression be a problem..... I'm not sure, maybe for some people, but i dont think it will be something i'll suffer from, excersise will help to prevent the baggy skin, if not then i'll address that as and when.

The dream of being able to walk into a clothes shop and buy a pair of 38" waist levis is one more day closer.

Rgds

Richard

Hello, another good thread! as you are aware I have written about some of the problems that can happen post bypass and other members have posted links , I didnt see any specific articles for depression when I searched, but its interesting to know that its a known problem. Why are doctors not making patients more aware of these problems? or is it only a small minority of folks that suffer from this and they dont feel its in our interest to know about them?? I know if I could go back, I would not change my mind and would do it all again, my bouts of depression have gone, and I hope it stops that way!

Hi Caroline

I think it probably a case that they like to report and sensationalise negativity around anything, take bypass failure for instance (yes i know it happens) but it seems to be the minority that goes wrong, and when i does the press and anyone who's anyone likes to make a big deal of it.
I for one cant imagine looking at myself in the mirror when i'm 12 stone and feeling depressed, i dont ever remember ever being 12 stone lol.
I hate food, foods made me this way and made me have to have an operation, so it can go to hell Lol :D

I consol myself in knowing that never again will i be the weight that i am today !

Richard

Hi Caroline

I think it probably a case that they like to report and sensationalise negativity around anything, take bypass failure for instance (yes i know it happens) but it seems to be the minority that goes wrong, and when i does the press and anyone who's anyone likes to make a big deal of it.
I for one cant imagine looking at myself in the mirror when i'm 12 stone and feeling depressed, i dont ever remember ever being 12 stone lol.
I hate food, foods made me this way and made me have to have an operation, so it can go to hell Lol :D

I consol myself in knowing that never again will i be the weight that i am today !

Richard

Hi Richard, Im also looking forward to been at twelve stone, I think I skipped that number and went straight to 17, Im such an impatient lady lol:D

Hello, another good thread! as you are aware I have written about some of the problems that can happen post bypass and other members have posted links , I didnt see any specific articles for depression when I searched, but its interesting to know that its a known problem. Why are doctors not making patients more aware of these problems? or is it only a small minority of folks that suffer from this and they dont feel its in our interest to know about them?? I know if I could go back, I would not change my mind and would do it all again, my bouts of depression have gone, and I hope it stops that way!
Caroline what amazing weight loss!!! glad the bouts of depression have gone and I'm sure it will stay that way. you have done fab x

Richard i have got to agree with you there. If the media get a sniff of anything negative they will use it to buldoze and scare.
I believe that you have to look for positives in life and challenge what life throws at you. Fortunatly i have never suffered from depression but have a neice who does. She is just naturally negative about most things her glass is never half full. I suppose that psycological evaluation is a important part of weightloss surgery to help identify potential loosers who may struggle with the ongoing process.
Im under no illusion and like you if my skin ends up too big for my body i will address that at the time but i am just looking for a healthy happy future.
HC

Hi Tammy

I'm nearly two weeks post bypass op, i didn't have depression before the op as i have a family that supports me, and friends that are there whatever my body shape or size, currently i'm 35lbs down and have started to dig out clothes that only just fitted two years ago and have found them to be baggy, i've today put my work trousers in to be altered as they are 3 inches to big now, so i'm far from being depressed :)

Apart from a few minor irritations and feeling a bit tired out in the afternoon i've so far had no problems, i still have the desire to eat, food still looks and smells great to me (especially toast) but i no longer feel hungry anymore, it will take about 3 months for my brain to reprogramme itself to my new dietry requirement, but other than this its all positive.

Could depression be a problem..... I'm not sure, maybe for some people, but i dont think it will be something i'll suffer from, excersise will help to prevent the baggy skin, if not then i'll address that as and when.

The dream of being able to walk into a clothes shop and buy a pair of 38" waist levis is one more day closer.

Rgds

Richard
Richard, i too have a wonderful family that supports me whatever my size. My depression is not around not having the support from others but around my view of myself!! From reading other threads on here it is a common problem for people with weight issues and the surgery is a final step for people as i'm sure you know.

Like Caroline says I do feel it is something which should be discussed pre op so that people have all the facts.

I'm not being negative! I think my decision for weight loss surgery is the best decision I have made. The article was written by a bariatric surgeon who has carried out thousands of operations and seen patients post op!

I just wanted to make people aware! not throw a negative slant on things as people who have seen my threads will see that i am nothing but positive about weight loss surgery!

Hi HC

I for one cant imagine why someone thats never had deression suffering depression because they are losing weight, just doesn't make any sense, but i do understand that for some people that do suffer depression the losing weight factor could just act as another stimulant, so if you were reporting weight lose stats post bypass or banding procedure, you should as a statistic report on the amount of pre depression and post depression to gain an accurate figure.
There is one other thing to consider, and that is the self estime and body image post weight lose, and how that effects people.
I've never had any self estime so have nothing to lose :D

Richard

Hi HC

I for one cant imagine why someone thats never had deression suffering depression because they are losing weight, just doesn't make any sense, but i do understand that for some people that do suffer depression the losing weight factor could just act as another stimulant, so if you were reporting weight lose stats post bypass or banding procedure, you should as a statistic report on the amount of pre depression and post depression to gain an accurate figure.
There is one other thing to consider, and that is the self estime and body image post weight lose, and how that effects people.
I've never had any self estime so have nothing to lose :D

Richard
i think most people on here would agree that they have no or little self esteem. Like i said not being negative just found the article interesting and have read alot of threads on here relating to the issue.

If anyone could find statistics i too would be interetsed in seeing that.

Hi Tam

I find this kind of thread interesting, if anyone knows where we can find the statistics to support this information i'd also be interested in seeing it.

Rgds

Richard

i think most people on here would agree that they have no or little self esteem. Like i said not being negative just found the article interesting and have read alot of threads on here relating to the issue.

If anyone could find statistics i too would be interetsed in seeing that.

Tammy I agree I think the vast majority of us on here have little or no self esteem....my self esteem shoots up if I feel good in what I am wearing.....Linda x

although i am waiting
depression is very common in society as whole, i saw on fat doctors many people end up having relationship troubles as they start their new life and grow in confidence. depression i have found to be a life long thing abit like achaholism. i think that if you suffer from depression then you will always be subseptable to bouts of it to a greater or lesser degree. like many comfort eating is the cause of most weight gain the real problem is what caused us to start comfort eating in the first place. whilst it is true in my current case that my weight is depressing me it is not the only factor in my depression. facts and statistics can be used to show what ever the author wants it depends what questions are being asked and wether they are designed to prove or disprove a theory.
dave

Tammy I agree I think the vast majority of us on here have little or no self esteem....my self esteem shoots up if I feel good in what I am wearing.....Linda x
Sex addiction sounds like the way to go HAHA. Feeling good with yourself is the key to boosting your self seteem it's just sometimes hard to do eh! x

although i am waiting
depression is very common in society as whole, i saw on fat doctors many people end up having relationship troubles as they start their new life and grow in confidence. depression i have found to be a life long thing abit like achaholism. i think that if you suffer from depression then you will always be subseptable to bouts of it to a greater or lesser degree. like many comfort eating is the cause of most weight gain the real problem is what caused us to start comfort eating in the first place. whilst it is true in my current case that my weight is depressing me it is not the only factor in my depression. facts and statistics can be used to show what ever the author wants it depends what questions are being asked and wether they are designed to prove or disprove a theory.
dave
Brilliant post Dave, agree fully with what you have said x

although i am waiting
dave

Totally agree with this, every time I feel a little "blue" I get told "your depressed" I know when I get depressed and I am the first to own up to it as there is no shame in it but sometimes I just feel a little bit down which feels so very different to depression. I take a course of tablets until I can see the wood for the trees and then get on with my life until the next time. Linda x

Back