• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Depression / Anxiety before Surgery

bearded_cavalier

I'm now just 9 days away from my sleeve. I know that feelings of depression often kick in after the surgery, but I wasn't expecting them to affect me to such an extent beforehand, especially since I've been looking forward to this surgery for a long time.

I've struggled with depression and anxiety in fits and bouts since my teens, but over the last week or so my mental health has taken a nosedive and I'm not sure why. I don't think I'm particularly anxious about the surgery itself, but I do feel really depressed and tearful in the mornings, and getting really anxious about stuff that I ordinarily take in my stride. I guess at the back of my head my main worry is the 'fear factor' about how I will cope for the rest of my life without relying on food as a crutch when the going gets tough. I guess this has always been one of the reasons why previous weight-loss attempts have failed. I've always seen food (and beer!) as a type of drug that has the capacity to bring (a very temporary) relief from my episodes of poor mental health and part of me worries that I just won't be able to cope any longer without being able to do this. So whilst I know the op will bring untold benefits for my overall physical health, I'm really scared that it will effectively tear away a crutch.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

I can totaly relate to this. I do think its quite normal. food has always been my crutch and when thats taken away (band in12 days) but personaly I think the pros outway the cons. I think when the weight starts going away it will help overall mental health so the need for the crutch will be reduced. if that makes sence. but failing that go to the gp for suport, there is no shame in it.I was on antI depresants for 9yrs and only been off 2 months. take each day as it comes and tey not to think too far in the future it will drive u mad (does me). good luck and tey to stay positive x

Back