• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Derby hospital gastric bypass

Shesablade73

Worried

Hi peeps, I've been on the waiting list at derby since April 13, just had a telephone call to say my op is in 3 weeks, all was going well, went to weigh myself and I've put 10lb on, will get my phone call anytime for my pre op assessment , worried sick that they won't do my op due to putting this 10lb on, never put any on, every time I've lost weight when I've weighed in with the dietician , any advice gratefully appreciated

Have they said when you can start your pre-op diet? If you're worried you could start a day or 2 earlier? Just on soups and shakes and stuff?

I'm pre-op too and haven't even been given a date yet so I can't offer any advice on experience :( All I can say though is don't stress over it as that can make you gain weight!

I'm sure you will be fine :D Good luck! The countdown officially begins! x

Thanks for that, no date yet for pre op assessment , I'm eating salad, chicken and plain rice, drinking lots of water and 2 slimfast shakes a day

I think you're doing perfect already, keep it up until you have to start the 'official' pre-op diet and you'll be well away! :D

I first thought about surgery a couple of years ago and started "The Weigh Ahead" program in January 2012. After 18 months of monthly weigh ins, 1500 calorie a day diet and once a week at the gym I lost NOTHING!! I didn't gain weight but didn't lose a single pound. After all that and surgery being my only hope; I was flat out denied surgery because I didn't have any other health issues other an a high BMI - 53 at 24 years old! :( My GP then appealed to the 'decision maker' - this was in July/August - I had my first appointment with the surgeon in early September; he accepted me and after other appointments with dieticians and the anesthetist I'm now on the waiting list.

It has been a long hard slog trying to get anywhere but I'm hopeful to have surgery before Christmas.. I can only hope!

I no that feeling , I fought for 5 years, every time the gp would flatly refuse to refer me, after changing gp several times, doing slimming world, weight watchers, gym, seeing a dietician, and using xenical , my gp in which I've been with for the last 3 years finally agreed to refer me in October 2012, yet I know people slimmer than me, nothing wrong medically , just getting referred just like that, it makes me so mad sometimes, anyway I hope all goes well for you and you hear soon.

It's all down to GPs now isn't it? My friend is desperately wanting surgery. She suffers with ME and is walking on crutches, I feel for her because it really would change her life but her GP isn't very accommodating and has so far left her with half a million pills to take each day. I don't think she could physically do all what I had to do. I don't know what will happen?

I can't wait for the date! Did they leave you hanging in between appointments and then all of a sudden give you a date for surgery? I'm not sure if I should just sit and wait or actively find out what's happening?

Your right it is down to the gp, I understand what your friend is going through as I suffer with m.e. Also, tell your friend not to give up, change doctors if possible, that's what I did, 5 times, someone listened to me, and yes don't worry that you haven't heard anything, you will soon, many of times I thought they had forgot about me, but then the call came on Wednesday, so I'd say I've been on the waiting list 6 months, yet I was told it would be 9-12 months, my surgery is 6 th nov , but I've read a few threads and noticed a few peeps gained before pre op assessment, so I'm not to worried now, I'll do my best to get the 10lb gain off before pre op assessment which I think will be anytime next week.

She has changed GPs several times in the last few years but has an appointment next month with her current one. I gave her all the paperwork I had to read through and I think she's going to mention having some kind of surgery and see where she gets. It would be brilliant if she was accepted!

Ok, it has only been a week since my last appointment and the hospital phoned and told me that they are looking at surgery mid-November so to be fair I haven't been waiting long, I'm just overly excited and impatient. The date is only provisional though so I suppose once I hear I have to take each day as it comes...

Hi peeps, I've been on the waiting list at derby since April 13, just had a telephone call to say my op is in 3 weeks, all was going well, went to weigh myself and I've put 10lb on, will get my phone call anytime for my pre op assessment , worried sick that they won't do my op due to putting this 10lb on, never put any on, every time I've lost weight when I've weighed in with the dietician , any advice gratefully appreciated

Hi Shesablade,

I'm due bypass at Derby on 30th Oct.. Had pre op last week and only lost 1kg since last appointment.. Mr Ahmed said if I hadn't of lost previously he would of cancelled my op. I would start pre op diet early also.. I am day 6 today and so far am 8lb down.. Good luck hun xx

Back