• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diabetes After Surgery

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Hi all
I have a question that Im curious about.
I am hoping that after I have my bypass (taking that the surgeon will give me the go ahead tomorrow) that my type II diabetes will go away, one medical professional (cant recall who but it was someone to do with the weight loss clinic) said that there is an 80% success rate in making type II go away after bypass.
Whilst I am confident that it will for me, I have to keep in mind that it might not sort it out and that I may still be diabetic after all is said and done.
That said, what happens if you have a hypo after a bypass?
Obviously you cant glug down some sugary juice or eat anything really sweet because it is likely to cause a dump session.
So what would I do in that event?
Thanks
Steph xx

Hi
Thanks for the reply :)
The thing is though, sometimes keeping an eye on it isnt enough, they need to tell us exactly what we do when it happens.
Obviously prevention is better than cure but there are times when you just cant prevent the hypos.
Thanks again xx
Steph xx

Hi there,

I have Type2 Diabetes and although I had a band not a bypass I can say that although technically I am still diabetic the outcome of the operation has caused all symptoms of the disease to go into "remission"

I have been told I will still need to be checked now and then and still see my diabetic nurse annually and eyesight etc but for now my HBa1C level are around the 5.5 mark and my BG readings have not gone beyond 5.9 since.

Infact I got a reading of 4.8 last time :D

Hiya, I thought my diabetes would stop but sadly not. I thought it was something that would def happen so was pretty peed off. :(

hi had bypass 6 weeks ago and taken no diaetic medication since and had blood test all fine my sugar was 4.5 well chuffed.
Good luck

Hello, I was type 2 diabetic (well I guess I still am) but from the day of the operation medication (metformin) was stopped. I havnt had my HBa1C levels checked yet, but on my home blood sugar monitor readings have never gone above 5.9.
To be honest, having the gastric band was mainly in hope of getting my blood sugars under control.

Jenni are you still on the milk diet if so its that thats keeping your sugars high its not recommended for diabetics due to the instant sugar boost my dietician/nurse told me

xx

Cue Cazbandy with the usual "diabetes cannot be cured by a gastric bypass" :D post

In a high proportion of post bypass patients, the need for medication is removed completely or greatly reduced.

Indeed this is one of the commodities that makes this procedure available on the NHS.

I've taken no meds since the day of my operation, hope it's the same for you.

I am surprised that a couple of posters that were diabetic were given the band rather than the bypass. I was told that being diabetic type 2 I would get no relief with the band and that the bypass was the only way to get a chance of remission from diabetes.

I have read that the part of the gut that is bypassed is what does the trick, but I think that is still being researched.

Jenni are you still on the milk diet if so its that thats keeping your sugars high its not recommended for diabetics due to the instant sugar boost my dietician/nurse told me

xx

Hiya, no I'm not on milk diet - I was only on it 8 days b4 op. I think my weight loss chart maybe a little misleading. Thankyou for picking up on that though x

Thought that what it was but better check. Surprised they told you to do that one though.
As John says it may help band but it gets rid for nearly all in bypass

xx

I am surprised that a couple of posters that were diabetic were given the band rather than the bypass. I was told that being diabetic type 2 I would get no relief with the band and that the bypass was the only way to get a chance of remission from diabetes.

I think that going private for my op had a lot to do with me not having a bypass. It was recommended that I go for the bypass due to the high success rate of helping type 2 diabetes (and the fact that I have a lot of weight to shift) but I had my heart set on a band and had done all my research etc. The band did the trick with regards to diabetes (luckily). I would have been annoyed at my stubbornness if it hadnt.

The band did the trick with regards to diabetes (luckily). I would have been annoyed at my stubbornness if it hadnt.

I'm very pleased for you that it is all going well. I understand if you are going private, it is a very expensive op compared with the band, and seems a very big step. As I said, I thought I would rather have the band initially but pleased that I was advised to go for the bypass. I have had long enough to get used to the idea but it doesn't mean I'm not nervous that it is getting so close.

I'm with JT, i heard it was all to do with your plumbing too. I think the success rates with the bypass are better...

I'm just wondering for the bandsters (don't shoot me now) if your blood sugars are so much better because your making wiser food choices? Obviously having had the op (and not all of you on the nhs) your being wiser about buying the choccy bar whilst filling up at the garage?

Just a thought.... and am very chuffed for ALL of you who are losing your need for diabetic medication. But sorry Steph i don't have an answer for you. Although i'm diabetic i've never had a 'hypo' so not had to deal with it. Although a couple of mornings, very rarely, i've got up and felt a bit wobbly and had to sit n drink my cup of tea and get myself together before doing breakfast n chase kids to get ready for school..........

I actually asked them yesterday about this and I was told that so far it is only 6% of people that get rid of their diabetes altogether and when I asked what I would do if a hypo hit they said that they have never known it to be an issue.
Steph xx

Back