• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diabetes

gillianr2

Hi,

I went to Lloyds chemist today to ask if they could give me anything for a urine infection as i've been feeling like I need the bathroom alot recently. She asked if I had been tested for diabetes and when I said no she said they could do it for me. Well she carried out the test and said I would have to come back tomorrow as ny levels were 6.7 which was a bit higher than they would have liked. The test was taken at 12.30 and I had breakfast at 10am. She wants me to eat supper and then not eat anything else until tomorrow after they carry out another test fasting.

Does anyone know what 6.7 means? Are they worried that I might have diabetes?

I'm ashamed to say i am diabetic but i have no idea. However am sure someone will be along soon with the know how xxx

The normal reading is around 5.5 6.7 is only slightly high and could be explained by a cup of tea even. My reading was in the 20s when I was first diagnosed as diabetic. Good idea to have the fasting check though. Good luck but I'm sure you'll be OK.

Hi there

I have type 2 diabetes and my doctor says a reading on a fasting blood test of 7 mmols or over done twice would count as a diagnosis of diabetes.

Readings over 6 mmols can indicate pre-diabetes, which means you are vunerable to developing full blow diabetes.

You say you are needing the loo alot, are you actually going alot? Also are you finding your thirst cannot be quenched. These two things alone CAN and I emphasise can be a warning sign.

To be honest I would go to your own GP and get fully checked out. if it is an infection that will need treating too.

I would have thought 6.7 within about 2 hours of a meal wasn't too bad. 4 to 7 is normal and up to 9 can be Ok within 2 hours of a meal even for those diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

I would have thought that a pharmacy should have advised you to go to your GP if there is any doubt about your blood sugars - the definitive test is a glucose tolerance test.

You may have diabetes - you could equally have a wee infection - I would see your GP

Hope you get sorted soon

Angela

Hi,

I went to Lloyds chemist today to ask if they could give me anything for a urine infection as i've been feeling like I need the bathroom alot recently. She asked if I had been tested for diabetes and when I said no she said they could do it for me. Well she carried out the test and said I would have to come back tomorrow as ny levels were 6.7 which was a bit higher than they would have liked. The test was taken at 12.30 and I had breakfast at 10am. She wants me to eat supper and then not eat anything else until tomorrow after they carry out another test fasting.

Does anyone know what 6.7 means? Are they worried that I might have diabetes?
Hi Gillian, I had a similar reading towards the end of last year. I had to return to the doctors for another test (Glucose drink following fast), the reading was still between 6 and 7. The doctor told me I was a good candidate for diabetes and referred me to the dietician concerning my food/drink intake. I advised them that I was on the radar for wls and they just told me to be careful leading up to the surgery, in particular with regard to weight gain. Fortunately it all seems to be going hand in hand, but I must admit the chance of diabetes worried me. If there was ever a bigger incentive to shed my weight, this was one! So best of luck with your tests and hopefully you can steady that reading before it gets worse. Best of luck for the future - Regards, Paul x

My hubby has just been diagnosed and was told any reading between 4 and 9 was ok.His goes to 14 after a meal,but the meds are new to him yet.See your gp to put your mind at rest.dont worry if you are diabetic it will add to your case for surgery and is nearly always cured after.

Sounds like a good pharmacy you have there. Hopefully they will advise you to visit your GP but personally I think it might be a good idea to see your GP anyway.
Obesity can be a trigger for diabetes on occasions, particularly if your parents have it. The good news is that weight loss can sometimes reduce the blood sugars, and in fact bariatric surgery, but not I think the gastric band, can often eliminate type 2 diabetes altogether within just a few weeks after surgery and reduce the need for medication for type 1 diabetes.

You have been given good advice, i.e. to make an appointment to see your GP and talk to them. The reading you had would seem to me to be perfectly normal taking into account when you had your last meal. It does sound like a urinary infection. An unquenchable thirst, rapid weight loss (oh yeah!) tiredness are all indicators of diabetes, but they can also be attributed to all sorts of other things. Only a proper glucose tolerance test will really confirm diabetes, but I really doubt you have it. Good luck and hope you will soon be feeling better.

Thanks so much for the replies and advice everyone. I went back this morning after fasting fromlast night and got a reading of 5.6 which she said was good. I am going to see my doc tomnorrow anyway and will mention it to him and see what he says. I am going to broach the subject of wls with him too but I know I have no chance of getting it on the nhs.

Thanks again for the replies and advice!

Yea im type 2 diabetic chick and your reading was good! my sugars are very well controlled NEVER going beyond 9. When i was diagnosed though they were up at 39 and it was really dangerous! Shedding weight does help regardless of what type of surgery or diet that you do so heres hoping that the diabetic people out there (including myself) all have fabulous weightloss and go into diabetic remission! x

Im type II and when I was diagnosed my doc said anything over 7 was considered to be diabetic. My blood was around 13 when I had the surgery. Its since gone down quite a bit and when I was about to be discharged from hospital the surgeon said I wouldn't need to take medication for it unless it went over 10 but to go to my GP to be tested at regular intervals.

I got some bloods done a few weeks ago because of the meds Im on and the doc called me in. I was worried to say the least! She told me my sugar was 10? Means nothing to me lol. Ive got to go back on Friday for another test and she said she will probably start me on some more meds! It was a fasting blood test I had and Im having another one on Friday. She said Im more than likely Diabetic! Not much help for me...lol. Maybe I'll know more after the next test with the Diabetes nurse. x

I would just like to tell anyone reading this that yes unquenchable thirst is a sign of diabetes however... i had no signs/symptoms before i got diagnosed... My GP just did my bloods for some inane reason, i forget what, and i got the diagnosis...

I've never been asked to check them myself and he does them about 1/2 times a year...

I would just like to tell anyone reading this that yes unquenchable thirst is a sign of diabetes however... i had no signs/symptoms before i got diagnosed... My GP just did my bloods for some inane reason, i forget what, and i got the diagnosis...

I've never been asked to check them myself and he does them about 1/2 times a year...

I also had no signs before being diagnosed. When my GP did my bloods I was 18.9, now I have readings of 4.8 by cutting out carbs... I was given a meter & told to check twice daily!

Mad how its so different x

Some PCTs won't allow Type 2 diabetics to have glucose testing machines & strips on the NHS as it costs them too much money. They reckon it's pointless as our medication is the same regardless and that we need to control it by diet.

I have my own machine and my GP allowed me a pot of strips and the multiclix when I was first diagnosed, and again more recently when I suspected something wasn't quite right, but he said ordinarily he's not allowed to prescribe them to me and would probably get told off for doing so!

Yet another example of postcode lottery in the NHS!! :mad:

Julie, I was the same, didn't feel thirsty, wee a lot etc but I asked for regular tests as my mum was diabetic (she was also hypothyroid too and I get tested for that). The only difference I did notice was that my wee smelt of sugar puffs which always gives me a warning that my sugar is high! Apparently that's where diabetes melitus gets its name - from the romans who diagnosed it (melitus is latin for honey)

Back