• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

diabetes n the liver diet

cherub3257

Hello, im wanting to know how anyone got on doing the liver shrinking diet that were also diabetic, only its looking very sparse n im worried about going hypo etc, if anyone has any suggestions then i will be really greatful :confused: christine

I have friends that have done the milk diet and are diabetic and they found that although they felt tired like a lot of us did they also found their blood sugar levels improved.

HTH
Good luck!

I have been told that being diabetic we don't get a choice we have to do the food diet. And i agree it does look sparse, but it's only 2 weeks for me so i'll suck it up and get on with it.... Plus i don't get hypos, but if you are worried speak to your dietician and also monitor your sugars xx

I was diabetic pre-op and I had to reduce insulin quite drastically while on the pre-op diet. You MUST take several readings every day because you are going to hypo if you don't. I take it you are not on the milk diet? If that is what they have told you to do, question it. That is not normally done by diabetics. Be prepared to stop most if not all insulin and diabetes meds immediately or soon after your op. I'm assuming you're having a bypass, being diabetic. If you're having a different op then "your mileage may vary".

Just to give you hope, I have stopped all insulin injections and now only take 1/3 of the Metformin I was on pre-op.

HTH

Funnily enough this is something I've just been reading up about as I've just started pre-op diet and I'm Type 2 diabetic. As everyone else has said your blood sugars should remain stable, although you might have to reduce any meds you're taking for it but that's something to discuss with your GP. I took Metformin this morning not thinking and have passed very watery stools since :eek:

There's a very good article here that explains it all if you fancy a read...

Blood Sugar is Stable

Forgot to say I'm doing the milk diet at mo, although I might switch to low carb food next week as I don't particularly like milk but wanted to give myself a kickstart. My blood glucose levels have been stable at around 7.1 so no signs of a hypo :)

To stop blood glucose levels falling too low the body uses the glycogen stores in the liver which is exactly why we're doing this diet to reduce them prior to surgery :D

im diabetic and have been on the milk diet for nearly a week and its still hard my diabetes is fine im just cold all the time and hungry but thats normal i should think i would like something more than milk though x

Am i the only diabetic who doesn't monitor there own blood sugars? I get my bloods done a couple of times a year but that's it!

I'm gonna check if i can do the milk diet, i quite fancy that x

Am i the only diabetic who doesn't monitor there own blood sugars? I get my bloods done a couple of times a year but that's it!

I'm gonna check if i can do the milk diet, i quite fancy that x

I don't monitor mine regularly at home, only if I think there might be a problem or a mega-change to my diet such as the pre-op now. I usually just have the HbA1c done every 3-6mths at the docs.

Charley1987 - I've felt cold today too and even put my heating back on for a while!! :eek:

Last edited:
as you are prob all aware there are two types of Diabetic, type 1 insulin injections and type 2 tablets

those of you who are type 2 Tablets should never have an hypo as they only assist with the removal of the shugar in the blood and should be able to do the milk diet

but if you are the type 1 then you must monitor verry carfuly

hope this helps

rich

I did the low cal pre-op diet.

My diabetic nurse told me to halve my insulin - to check blood sugars 4 x a day at least and increase the insulin if it was consistently around 10.

I stayed on about half dose

Can I say that I didn't stop my insulin immediately post-op and my blood sugars shot up - I stayed on half dose for a couple of months - then was advised to cut down and stop then put back on 8 units a day and cut down to 4 till my HbA1c was too lw and was told to stop - but that was 11 months post-op.

Now have normal fasting bloods and 2 normal HbA1c results - so probably a resolved diabetic (or in remission)

Was testing initially 4 x a day the down to twice and eventually every other day - now just when I think of it - lol ;)

please don't assume you will no longer need treatment post-op - it may not happen but possibly will

Good luck

Angela xx

im a bad diabetic i never monitor my bloods .. but i was fine on the milk diet. you just reduce your insulin to the amount u need . i didnt need my insulin at all just my metformin pills.

as you are prob all aware there are two types of Diabetic, type 1 insulin injections and type 2 tablets

those of you who are type 2 Tablets should never have an hypo as they only assist with the removal of the shugar in the blood and should be able to do the milk diet

but if you are the type 1 then you must monitor verry carfuly

hope this helps

rich

That's not strictly true Rich. Type 1 definitely needs insulin, type 2 can be managed with diet, tablets and/or insulin. Just depends how long you have had it and how well you manage your diet and exercise. I was pretty bad on all accounts and after 10 years of tablets was put onto increasing amounts of insulin for 6 years. No insulin required now though...:D:D

I don't have to check my bloods as my diabetes is usually well under control, i have only been diagnosed diabetic a few months. I would prefer the milk diet though.

I don't have to check my bloods as my diabetes is usually well under control, i have only been diagnosed diabetic a few months. I would prefer the milk diet though.

You've obviously seen the err food (for lack of a better word) one then Keeks lol x

lol, phatmomma, I have no idea what the food diet is, i just like milk and i dont eat until after 4pm cos i dont feel hungry so drinking milk all day sounds great to me. lol.

Back