• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

diabetes

christine77

hows has having WSL effected your diabetes , i have only this year been diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes and have been put straight on medication. its really hit me hard being diagnosed, its something i associated with older overweight people not 32 year olds !!!!

my doctor is convinced once i have the operation my diabetes will improve so not for me to worry , and ive read in the books it can i get better. But i just wonder what your experiences are

Took 11 months post-op but now am considered to be a resolved diabetic.

Was on insulin pre-op and for a while on 8 units a day post-op - have had none since last November and when I had my knee replaced in March blood sugars shot up the first day and returned to normal afterwards whereas before they would have stayed very high for at least a week.

Time will tell if this is a permanent result

Hope all goes well for you

Angela x

The success rate of resolving diabetes is around 80%. Your age and the fact you've only recently been diagnosed goes in your favour but obviously not a guarantee as other factors are also involved.

I stopped taking metformin when I started my pre-op diet and when I've tested my BG level it's not gone above 7mmol/L so far. I'm hoping this is a good sign that I won't need to take them again, although obviously I won't know until they check my bloods post-op.

I've been diagnosed for around 2 yrs and am hoping my surgery will resolve my diabetes, my doctor is quite convinced it will also.....

Good luck with your op, i hope you're not waiting too long xx

I got diagnosed this year too... am hoping that surgery will help me too. x

The length of time you have had diabetes and your age impacts upon the effect of the bypass. I have had diabetes for over 20 years, I use an insulin pump and I am 50+ years old! Immediately after the op I halved my insulin dosage and have been gradually reducing it ever since. I am aware that for me it will take quite a while before I come off insulin but I am totally confident it will happen eventually. There are a few threads on here about research and data relating to the effects of a bypass on diabetes and they do indicate a direct correlation between the op and improved diabetes. As has been said the fact that you have only recently been diagnosed and your age are both factors which would indicate a good result in improving or curing your diabetes post op. I wish you good luck with your op.

Back